“A beautiful oasis for the senses!”

Hibiscus Garden Inn
Ranked #1 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
“A beautiful oasis for the senses!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was our first stay in our island hopping adventure extravaganza of the Philippines. Booked a 3 night stay because of the many positive reviews on Trip Advisor and because it was the #1 voted best hotel in Palawan. We were 100% satisfied with our choice. Super friendly and attentive staff, gorgeous garden grounds full of an array of flora, and delicious cuisine. If your staying in Puerto Princesa than this IS the place to stay!!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank sborrero77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Makati
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I had just arrived from Puerto Princesa this morning, August 31, and I cannot resist going to the computer and write about this wonderful place.

My pleasant experience began with the airport pick up. A few seconds after stepping out of the arrival area, I was very happy to see my name in a whiteboard. The driver was so nice.

When I arrived to the place, I was amazed with the well-tended garden. I heard tweeting of birds and I saw several birds flying just above the roof. I was given Room No. 2 which is spacious. I love the design and the simplicity of it.

There is a hammock for each room which I like very much. Every morning, after breakfast, I lay in the hammock, closed my eyes and absorbed the surroundings for several minutes.

The staff was very efficient and courteous. Service was impeccable. They even managed to do the laundry in a rush basis. Also, the City, Underground River and Honda Bay tours were excellent. In my opinion, there should be a tour including Iwahig and the waterfalls in Puerto Princesa. That would be an awesome experience.

Food was delicious. I like the breakfast meals, garlic squid, the brewed coffee and mango-banana shake. Their Hawaiian pizza is a must-try.

The only downside is that a school is beside it. Every afternoon, a teacher or instructor was checking attendance and giving instructions using a microphone which was irritating to me as I was unable to take a nap in the hammock.

A minor issue would be the ceiling fan. When it rotates, there is a cracking sound. During my first night, I had difficulty sleeping; so every night, I turned it off before I go to sleep.

I will definitely go back next year (with my girlfriend hopefully).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Franztraveler
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed August 30, 2012

From the bookings via email (thanks, Joy) to the airport transfers and the room and environment, everything was just great. The staff were efficient and very helpful. I asked a zillion questions before I booked and all my queries were responded to promptly and with consideration. You can't beat the location - two minutes from the airport, many eating places within walking distance, a 20 peso tricycle ride from the center of town. The garden with its quirky wooden furniture, the veranda with comfortable chairs and hammocks, and the lovely restaurant all add up to a relaxing environment. The room was spacious and clean, with crisp linen and fluffy towels, plus toiletries (and there was a convenience store just beside the gate which was convenient). Our Queen Room (a double bed and a single) had its own private garden with chairs and hammock. King Rooms (two double beds) also come with private gardens. The pizza at the restaurant was one of the best We've ever had anywhere. Our tours were also great. Prompt pickup, friendly guides with great sense of humor (especially Kim), good transportation and great food. We were also allowed a late check-out, giving us the opportunity to shower and change after the Hunda Bay tour.

Two downsides - first: the bathroom shower system is weird. The fixed showerhead gave out cold water and the hand-shower gave hot. This made showering difficult. Second: the fruit served with breakfast was a small banana. Considering how inexpensive fruit was on the island, surely this could have been better.

But altogether, we had a lovely relaxing time at Hibiscus. I booked two friends into this place within a week of our return. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Choose the Queen or King rooms. The private garden is a great bonus.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Choosing #1 hotel in Tripadvisor seemed to be the right option for our 1st holiday in Puerto Princessa. All the reservation went out well. Joy and Aida had carefully taken notes of our arrival schedule, tour booking and room specs.
That was just the beginning, and it got better when it came to our real experience. Reaching Puerto Princessa in the evening, we're picked up by their comfortably chilled van, along with their nice driver. Check-in process went out smoothly. Got a big double bed room, facing to their luscious beautiful garden. In the next morning, when we open our room, we're sweetly greeted by their blooming hibiscus. It's up to us to enjoy our breakfast in the middle of the garden or just lazily swing on our hammock.Those were just right for holidays.
What I like more is Hibiscus' location. Quiet enough as our hidden sanctuary, but still managable to walk to our favorite restaurants (e.g: Balinsasayaw, Kalui, Kinabuch & Haim Chicken Inato...will submit review separately).
The tours they reserved for us were also amazing. Comfortable car, punctual pick-up (although we have to wait for other guests....but what can you say, they're on holiday as well!), passionate tour leader, good food.
In short, if you're looking for a 'hassle-free' vacation, it is there.

Room Tip: Room in the end of the corridor is more queit
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xtin74
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

This place is great for a quiet getaway. Nice garden too. The room i had even had a private garden. So far we had our first meal and the food was delicious. I would go back for a quiet retreat. It is located in a quiet neighborhood. You really have to take public transport to get around.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The excellent reviews motivated me to try Hibiscus Garden and they are correct. Location is a downside because it to far to walk into town, but plenty of tricycles to take you there.

However, when I had breakfast I was shocked when they actually charged me for butter to go with my toast. I was absolutely shocked, and this minor overcharge was so tacky it ruined the entire experience. I checked out immediately. How somebody could go to the effort of building and maintaining such an excellent property and then charge for butter with your breakfast toast is beyond belief! I was in shock!

What is so sad is the Hibiscus Garden is a truly stunning work of art. So is the Mona Lisa, but charging for butter is like throwing a rotten tomato in her face,

I'm in the hospitality industry for 32 years now and this was the most tacky experience of my career. Shocking!

Room Tip: From what I saw, any room is excellent.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JohnGray-LingYai
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Hibiscus Garden Inn is a petite paradise inside Puerto Princesa. The garden setting is very relaxing, a quick relief from the city. Plus, the wooden pieces around the garden make for a mini-museum. Check out my pics!

The room is very spacious, as well as the shower. There is free wifi but at certain times hard to connect to.

The staff is extremely accommodating and friendly. We booked our Underground River and City tours with the hotel so everything was well handled. Since it's a small place, their treatment is quite intimate. They ask what time you want breakfast to be served and they even come to your room in the morning to call you for your meal.

Food is satisfactory, but there are a lot of other offerings in PP for food tripping if you're feeling adventurous, or thrifty, or both :P

At the end of a long day from the Underground River, we got a massage in our room. It's very affordable and perfect to lead you into a good night's sleep.

Lastly, location is very ideal as it is 10 minutes away from the airport via a van compliments of the hotel. Getting around the city is easy too as tricycles are all around.

Worth the price and a pleasant surprise :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends