“Adequate but won't be on my list to stay”

Lola Itang Pension House and Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Adequate but won't be on my list to stay”
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Stayed in Superior room fortwo nights and that was long enough. Strange enough the family room which had 3 beds cost only P1,000 but the Superior with 2 beds cost P1,200. The space between two beds were so narrow, wife and I kept banging into the bed frames. No remote for the TV. The food wasn't too bad. Asked to have room cleaned when we left for the day(as advised by their notice), but was not cleaned when we came back so had to wait outside for 20 minutes while they cleaned. The location was within walking distance to the Baywalk and it was quiet at night.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rethkic

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This pension has dark lobby, it has a good restaurant, a garden and a basic room with aircon and tv but no hot water at the bathroom.

• Stayed December 2010
3 Thank cresil
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed October 31, 2010

The other reviews are right. Lola Itang is a cheap place to stay and is very near the airport and commercial establishments. It's just a short walk away from Baywalk and the Cathedral. Public transportation is easily accessible. Just go outside the hotel and in a few seconds, a tricycle (the cheapest way to get around) will stop for you.

My brother and I got a twin room for just Php 800 per night. There was free airport pick up. The Lola Itang van was right there on time.

Going back to the airport, they charge Php250. This is steep. So for those traveling on a budget, just get a tricycle for just Php10 per person.

There was a little mix-up with our flight schedule but this was easily resolved with the management. Meggy the manager answers emails so it's easy to book through email. She doesn't answer right away, though (wait at least a day before you get an email reply) so you better book early enough.

There's a restaurant inside. We only got to eat breakfast there and it was good. Our food was served hot and fast. The fried bangus was big and the tapsilog was tasty. Glad we chose to eat there instead of at Jollibee.

It would have been the perfect place to stay in, however:
1) The bathroom was dirty when we arrived. The wall tiles were caked with mildew, the toilet had brownish spots on it, and the pail and dipper had a light brown layer of...something.

2) Our room was not cleaned everyday. We thought it would be, but it wasn't. We're not dirty people, but we appreciate room clean-up..or at least sweeping the floor.

3) Meggy and her staff could use a little more warmth and customer service. They are efficient, yes, and they booked me and my brother for Ka Lui Restaurant right away, but the "homey" feel that Lola Itang boasts of just wasn't there. They answer your questions about touring the place cheaply when you ask, but they don't necessarily give you the best options. I suppose it's because they sell tour packages as well, and giving away information on how to tour Puerto Princesa on a budget would defeat the purpose of their having travel packages. But still, that does not justify not giving the right information to budget travelers.

All in all, Lola Itang serves its purpose. It's cheap and it's centrally located. With minimal interaction with the front desk staff (they're not warm, anyway), your stay will be serviceable enough.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank Mitziec
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I (with a friend) stayed at Lola Itang's from August 28 to 30, 2010. It was my first leisure trip to Puerto Princesa and my friend's first travel to Palawan. I must admit that, in my search for an affordable, reasonable, and tourist-friendly accommodation, Lola Itang's had been my first choice. And, boy, I am glad that I did choose the place! The place is just superb; the staff are friendly & accommodating, they respect one's privacy while ensuring that your needs are well-accommodated. If I every fly to Puerto Princesa again, be it for official or for personal reason, I won't have any second thought staying at Lola Itang's.

The Manager (Ms. Meggy) is very efficient, well on time in responding to my e-mail inquiries, and even in ensuring that the airport pick up transpires well. For a new-comer, this is much appreciated. My friend said I made a good choice, and was also totally impressed!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jewel_of_the_Nile10
SE Asia
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Guesthouse is a great well run , clean and neat place which offer really good value for money. Rooms are always really clean, aircon works well and tv has a few channels if you need to watch something. Perfect place to "freshen up" after being out in the wilds of the remote parts of Palawan for a couple of weeks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank nonbg123
Taguig City, Philippines
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This trip is a hassle free trip. I loved the place. Meggy and her staff were very helpful. Our flight was delayed and we arrived really late so I thought we missed our reservation at Ka Lui Restaurant but Meggy rescheduled our dinner at a later time. Room has cable tv, mini ref, shower and a small sofa. I love palawan and I will definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
cainta, rizal
Reviewed July 10, 2010

our stay at lola itang for 4n is relaxing. the rooms are clean, even the c.r. there are no water fluctuation nor power interruption since they have a back up generator. highly recommended since most of the time, we're outside our room to visit the beauty of pueto princesa. so you need not to spend lots of money for hotels
underground river is a must in puerto pricesa, so is the island hopping and city day tour. visit ka lui and kinabuch, and try their crocodile dishes and tamilok.
i think lola itang should be renovated since it looks like a 'talyer' on the outside, and so is the restaurant, not properly lighted, though i find their food cheap and delicious. and please open up your restaurant early, [ we waited for like 45 mins before our orders we're served. or you might opt to jollibee which is just a ride away]

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple