“Found a relaxing "home" in El Nido”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in El Nido
MaryGold Beachfront Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in El Nido
Pasig City
“Found a relaxing "home" in El Nido”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

My friends and I very much enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are clean and very well maintained. We especially love the view. Waking up to a quiet place and a breathtaking view is just priceless. Marina also have their own bar/resto outside where you can hang around and just be one with nature while sipping coffee.

El Nido is a small town and people here have simple lives. So, don't expect of a grandeur hotel/resort because I doubt you'll find any of that here. What's important is the service and the cleanliness of the place.

I'll be back next year hopefully. And I'll definitely be staying in Marina again :D

2 Thank xtyna82

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Room- we got the suite. Supposedly the best room of the house but its the worst I have ever slept in my whole life.
Bathroom- weak water pressure; old dirty tiles; bathrm had a funky awful smell; fixtures were old and rusty.
Bed-hard as a rock; sheets were dusty and felt like sandpaper; the thinnest mattress I have ever slept on in my whole life;
Food- instant coffee, oily rice, oily corned beef- if you can even call it beef
Only good thing abt it was its a beachfront property; however, there are many other properties on the beach that offer better accommodations at a lower price

5 Thank Butny
Marikina, Philippines
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Me and my friends stayed here for 3 nights (November 2-5, 2011)

THE GOOD:

1. Location - The beach is in front of the resort which gives you a view of the islands and it's easy to access your island hopping tour. It's also safe because the police station is in front of the resort. It's also just a five minute walk to El Nido Boutique and Arts Cafe (good resto and souvenir shop) and Blue Azul vegetarian hamburgers. There are also convenience stores nearby so you can buy your toiletries and souvenirs in just a short walk. There's also a tour/diving shop in front of the resort where you can rent snorkels for 100 pesos.

2. Rooms - I like the design of the rooms. We got the townside rooms which has 2 single beds per room. Beds are standard. A little bit noisy in the morning, but it's manageable. Water available all day. There are fans available even in the aircon rooms, ready for times when the electricity is shut down in the whole town (3AM to 5PM) and only the generator is running (though not the whole day). No free toiletries though, just soap.

THE BAD:
1. They don't clean your room or change your towels or refresh toilet paper daily. You have to tell them or request it from them - but sometimes, they forget even if you did request it. Though the people are nice, they don't take the initiative in attending to your needs.

2. Breakfast - Lousy small servings and 3-in-1 coffee. And they are super slow. Request tomorrow's choice of food in the evening specially if you're checking out the next day and catching the 7AM van shuttle back to Puerto Princesa.

Overall, I don't have any major complaints. Just maybe in the housekeeping dept. and the food. (Actually, food is not really that great in El Nido. Unless maybe you're staying in Lagen or Miniloc resorts. I loved Blue Azul's falafel burger because it's different. Also try El Nido Boutique and Arts Cafe's El Nido Salad. Food is expensive here, even the locals complain about it. Beef is hard to come by. Beware of the only french resto in town - food is not so great.)

Room Tip: Take the package tours - the rooms are cheaper and it already includes the island hopping tours. Pic...
3 Thank RachelMD
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2011

The room was clean with lots of space and right on the beach,the staff was friendly and it is close to everything. The room we had was air conditioned (a/c is a must ) and the rate was very reasonable.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach side are definately quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank estrner
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed September 28, 2011

OVERALL IMPACT: AWESOME!!!
Although there are other hotels and inns in the area, there is no need for me to try those as I have found my home in El Nido - Marina Garden Beach Resort, I will choose to stay here rain or shine ;)

LOCATION
What I love
+ 10 steps away from where the boats for island hopping tours are.
+ 10 steps away from the seashore - beach front!
+ It's right in the middle of where the best restaurants are in El Nido.
+ 1 trike away from the van and bus terminals (You can actually just walk but since we have a lot of bags to carry, trike trip would just be a 5 minute ride.).
+ There are hammocks tied to coconut trees where you can smoke, relax, nap or stargaze at at night.
+ There are tanning beds at the seashore where you can smoke,relax and nap, etc.

* None

ROOM
What I love
+ WIFI ZONE!!! They have 3 routers that you can even surf at the seashore.
+ Pastel colors of blue, yellow, white and green... These colors make the room very relaxing.
+ Room was not cramped. It was spacious enough for 2 people to walk around the room without bumping to each other.
+ There is a bedside table and a separate table where we could leave the laptop - No need to surf on your bed.
+ There are a lot of outlets in the room for charging batteries, etc, easy to find and the places were not odd.
+ There is a mirror in the bedroom for dressing up and in the bathroom for brushing your teeth.
+ There are a lot of hooks to hang your clothes on in the bathroom.
+ There is a pail and dipper even if they have cold shower.
+ Bedsheets and pillows were white, smell good and clean - does not smell like it has been kept in a closet for decades.
+ I slept like a baby in all the 3 nights that we stayed in Marina Garden despite the fact that it rained all those nights with strong winds which we've only found out the following morning as the guests from other hotels complained about being woken up by the rain hitting their rooms and howling wind.
+ There are wooden couches just outside the room where you can smoke and chill if you don't want to stay in the room while waiting for your company to get done.

What could have made it better
* I'm hoping the next time I return, hot and cold shower is already available in all rooms (Some have hot and cold shower) as the one I stayed at there's none available BUT the good thing was you can ask them to boil water for taking a bath for FREE!
* Since there is no electricity in El Nido from 6AM-3PM (PALECO - Palawan Electric Company can't provide electricity 24 hours yet.), it would have been nice if emergency lights or battery operated lamps are available in the bathroom (I'm not sure if the other rooms have those) for day use as I remember leaving the bathroom and main room doors open to let in some light so my pee will go where it's supposed to go to. Haha.) - They have a generator which they turned on when PALECO failed to make the electricity return by 3PM, but to save on time and energy, mini battery operated lamps will do ;)

CUSTOMER SERVICE
What I love
+ EXCELLENT customer service - Everyone was smiling, approachable, accommodating, conversational, warm... I could go on and on. In short, I don't have anything bad to say. The owner socialized to the guests too which we only found out later on that he was the owner.
+ Reaction time was REAL-TIME, in short, no delays. I asked for something and it was there in a heartbeat. I don't remember ever being impatient as there was no need to.
+ We thought we had an outlet trouble in the room, on top of the electrician working on it, the owner was right there as well to attend to us (That's how we found out it's not an outlet problem but PALECO failed to put back the electricity on time.). They allowed us to charge the laptop, digicam, DSLR at the front desk as they've already turned on the generator.

+ None

BREAKFAST
What I love
+ Food was served warm and perfectly cooked.
+ You can have breakfast delivered in your room or eat at the beach front which is the better option.
+ Coffee was served early. They packed our breakfast on our last day as we had to leave at 5AM complete with utensils and tissue. Isn't that great?! Just like how mom's would do it - Never let you leave home with an empty stomach ;)

PRICE
What I love
+ For all the good things my friends and I experienced, I still find it cheap.

* None

When I go back to El Nido, I will demand that I stay in Marina Garden Beach Resort ;)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank lahinieba
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We rented four rooms - 1 A/C room, 1 wayside cottage and 2 small ones. The place is nice, quiet and relaxing. Beachfront and the resort is just infront of a police station, so it was very safe to stay. Cheap rooms, clean and nice for barkada trips as well as family if in the AC rooms. We had a great stay and if we'll go back, we'll choose again here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Karachi
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We settled on Marina Garden for our five night stay in el nido after extensive research on lonely planet and tripadvisor. Since there were five of us, we got one townside room and one deluxe.
After arriving late at night on our first day we only had to wait till the next morning to realize we had made the perfect choice for our hotel. Their beachfront location offers breathtaking views, which admittedly are hard to get away from when you have to start preparing for the days activities. We found both our rooms to be comfortable and clean and the staff was wary to stay out of your way but were helpful whenever assistance was required. The resto-bar at the hotel prepared our complimentary breakfast upon our request, regardless of the time of day (as late as 2 pm even :)). The premises has a lot of seating on the beach, including hammocks which can make for a very relaxing reading spot just footsteps away from your room. An adjoining kayak rental stall is an added bonus for guests at Marina Garden.
The hotel's central location is also a plus point as pretty much everything is under a five minute walk on either side of the hotel. One of the local tour arrangers, a very helpful lady named Lani, approached us when we checked in and helped us out with a number of things during our four day stay (tours, renting kayaks, bargaining at shopping and travel back to PP). Definitely keep an eye out for her as her assistance can make things very convenient (her tour stall is located across the street from the entrance to the hotel, next to the police station).
In conclusion, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Marina Garden and will definitely be visiting again sometime in the near future!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends