“Five star location, but three star service..”

El Nido Resorts Lagen Island
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in El Nido
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

The setting for the resort has to be one of the most beautiful in the world, or at least the most beautiful one we have ever visited.Tranquility, nature, picturesque surroundings and heartbreakingly beautiful views from the balcony of our water cottage. However, the service was consistently inconsistent, from day one. . All the staff was very friendly, with most genuine smile. But since it's a five star resort with an adequate price tag, I have to mention the non five star service. I could write a whole list of things, ranging from the wrong drinks & food being brought to us, the wrong bill, long waiting times at the restaurant, with you getting the staff attention to order something. In addition, we thought the food was pretty average.
The same applies to the pool staff - don't expect to be waited upon. If you want anything-food, drink, towel, you need to go to the bar.
The reception staff was friendly and helpful, but again, the attention to detail wasn't there- we were forgotten on the other side of the island where you can hike to and return by canoe on the water. We patiently waited for over an hour on the beach to realise no canoe is coming, but luckily we had a mobile phone to call for assistance. .
The water cottage we stayed in was gorgeous, with balcony overlooking a vista we will never forget. But even here, you had to remind the room staff to refill your drinking water and replace a laundry bag. I was also quite surprised that the room had no hot drinks facility.
To sum it up- it's the perfect place for relaxation and peace and quiet, giving you a feeling you will long for after you left, just don't expect five star service.

• Stayed: March 2014
8  Thank JitkaW

Reviewed March 8, 2014

we went there with my family. the staff is excellent and the view PARADISE! I really recommend this place for couples and honeymooners. the place is romantic and calm. the food was so so. since im with my kids, the kids area was ok. the library needs improvement. more selection of english books please (most of the books are in Japanese and Russian) Over all one of the best experience in Palawan.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank john m
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The entire staff's service was excellent during our two-night stay at the Lagen Island Resort; totally professional, friendly, courteous and punctual. The facilities were clean, and the buffet selection simply fantastic. The two lagoons, the sand bar, the cave, paradise like! It is not a perfect resort, but for the reasonable package deal, it is pretty close to our expectation and we've travelled a lot. We'll be back for sure and we probably include the other resorts around, and perhaps venture too to Coron and Amapulo!

Room Tip: Arrange for a private dinner for two at a secluded shoal. The extra cost is worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank norma e
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

The scenery of the environment is breath taking, but the resort its self is dated & old, especially the water cottages, they are well over due for refurbishment. I would recommend everyone to spend a little bit more money & stay at Pangulasian. The service at Lagen was ok, but no where near as good as the service we received at the Pangulasian. While at Lagen our flight with ITI was cancelled & all boat travel was cancelled by the coast guard due to a Typhoon so we had to stay an extra night which cost us an additional 10,000 pesos. We were then told by reception that we had to pack & move from our water cottage to a beach cottage as there were guests transferring from one of the other resorts to our room at Lagen. We expressed to the receptionist that this was an inconvenience as i was sick. We also found it quite odd that guests were able to get boat transfers to Lagen as we had been told the coast guard had shut down all boat transport for the day. After packing & waiting a few hours we were then told that we didn't need to move anymore which was a relief so I could recover in bed from my illness.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Birkita
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We had a stay planned for Apulit Island resort in Nov 2013. Unfortunately, Typhoon Haiyen came through and Apulit remained closed. While our locations had to change, which was not a big deal, the way El Nido Resorts responded was horrific!

CUSTOMER SERVICE PROBLEMS:
We booked months in advance, with the sole intent of staying in a water cottage, which is why we had initially selected Aupulit Island (Which is all water cottages). We were not notified of any problems in advance of the trip, despite being facebook "friends" and them having complete contact info for my partner and I. When we arrived at the Manila NAIA charted flight terminal, the airline told us that our destination had changed! That was quite a surprise. We asked if they were sure, since we had received no notice. They contacted El Nido Resorts booking office (in Manila) who asked to speak to us. My partner spoke at length with the booking agent (Melanie de la Fuente) on the telephone and asked specifically about our reservation being transferred to a water cottage. Changing to Lagen Island, or any of the other resorts was not a big concern to us. She told us that it was not available for 1 of the nights we were staying. At that point, we told her that we would like to cancel the entire trip, since the whole purpose of going was for the water cottage experience. She told us that it was not necessary and she would make sure we were in a water cottage. We were completely prepared to return to the home of family that day. But she insisted that we get on the flight to el nido. After the flight, jeep trip, and boat ride to Lagen island, we were finally ready to check in and get settled. But, the desk staff at lagen island said there were no water cottages available for our stay! Not ANY night! This was quite upsetting and the manager was not on the island. They contacted the same booking office person we had spoken to (Melanie de la Fuente), who now was saying that she did not have a water cottage. They wanted us to stay in a "forest suite" instead. She also told the Lagen staff that she never told us we could stay in a water cottage, essentially telling them that we were lying. We were outraged at this, as you can imagine. Our peaceful vacation was not starting that way. We again told them, to return us to Manila, as we knew there was another flight home that day. We did not want to be in any other accommodation and did not want to be treated like this. Eventually, they sent us to lunch and found a water cottage to put us in, by moving someone who had not arrived yet into a forest suite. This process was almost 3 hours in length. It was clear that they did not want to lose our money by letting us return to Manila. The one nice thing they did was give us a "private dinner" on our last night. This was essentially the food from the buffet served to us on plates in a remote area of the island. I am glad we did not pay for this service. We have traveled extensively around the world and stayed in many types of accommodations and have NEVER had such a bad customer service experience. We finally met the location manager as we were leaving the island, who offered an apology, but at that point, it was irrelevant.

THE ROOM:
The water cottage was good in size, but was quite dated. There is obvious wear of most of the features. It is also lagoon style, which does not allow for the views of open sea. The bed was 2 single size beds for my partner and I. I am not sure if they just did not realize that we were a gay couple or if they just did not want to recognize that.

LAGEN ISLAND STAFF/SERVICE
This was a good point for El Nido Resorts. The staff was mostly helpful, but the person helping plan the day should have a little more knowledge of the available options.

FOOD:
All meals are included, regardless of where you eat them. The food on al resort islands and the "beach resorts" was about the same Most was underseasoned. Drinks are not included, so you will have a bill for that at the end. Some bartenders are much better than others. We did have a bottle of wine with dinner on the last night, which seemed to have been stored well enough to not ruin the wine.

SPA:
We had a couples massage while there, including a body, foot, head/neck massage as well as a facial. It was very nice and relaxing. Afterwards they gave us a fruit platter and juice tea to take to our room, which was a very nice touch.

EL NIDO:
The El Nido region is very nice. I wish there was another way to stay without using El Nido resorts, but still have a luxury experience. I would love to stay in a Shangri La type property here. El Nido resorts can take you to great places and you get to see cool things, but they do not offer the greatest advice in all places. I wanted to snorkel from a beach resort and hey directed me to an area with a TON of seaweed! I became tangled and if I was not a strong swimmer, could have had a major problem. My partner could not have snorkeled in this area and I would never recommend it for kids or timid swimmers. I have heard the diving is good, but I did not dive on this trip.

TRANSFERS:
Mostly safe, but depending on water conditions, people with poor balance or mobility issues would have issues, especially at El Nido port. Island Transvoyager was safe and quite helpful at the airport. No problems with them at all.

OVERALL:
I think everyone should visit El Nido at some point in their life. It is a truly amazing place. I liked it better than Phuket. I would, however, book knowing the limitations of staying with El Nido Resorts. They really do have you trapped into going on their day trips and to their other islands. At this point, I know of no other luxury level accommodation in the region. It is overpriced for the service, amenities, and quality offered. My partner, who is Filipino, will not go back again after experiencing this customer service. It is too bad, but there are tons of amazing beaches and resorts in Asia and Oceana...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank David A
ElNidoResorts P, Manager at El Nido Resorts Lagen Island, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments with us, we apologize for the handling of your booking, which caused you and your partner inconveniences during your stay at Lagen Island. Our goal is guest satisfaction and we are sorry we did not meet your expectations this time. I hope you give us another opportunity to show you we can do better.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Details, details, details .... this place takes care of the both the daily minutiae and large picture for you. Our all-inclusive package was so full of what we wanted to do, and the guides and helpers with us were so attentive and informative. The stunning scenery, and weather alone was enough to make you want to come back. The food was always superb, and a surprise dessert was sent tom our family table by the chef one night. I could live like this forever ....

Room Tip: The seashore cottages are tops.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bong Y
Reviewed January 31, 2014

It was a tough choice, but after talking to friends and researching online, we decided to stay at El Nido Resort's Lagen Island. It was a good decision. Lagen Island and the surrounding islands is one of the most beautiful places I have visited. (And I have been to Santorini, Crete, Phuket, Bali and all the Hawaiian Island). We stayed in Water Cottage 110, which had the best view of the Sunset. We only had a few days. I wish we had at least one more full day, because the trip to El Nido takes the whole day. (But the ferry ride is beautiful, especially during Sunset! It's part of the adventure). There is a cruise ship feeling at times, especially when the activities director keeps asking what you plan to do the next day -- but when you are in paradise this seems less annoying. Our first full day we choose to hike over to the cove on the other side. (I felt like I was shooting an episode of "Lost"). It's a good hike (don't forget your mosquito spray!) up and down the mountain, but worth it. The cove is breathtaking. The resort staff delivered our snorkel gear, along with towels and a kayak to get back. The next day we visited the Little and Big Lagoon. We took a boat out and kayaked inside the Little Lagoon. If you don't want to do any activities, the pool is a great place to hang out. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. While, we love the trip, there is always room for improvement. The food was ok. It could have been better and maybe more Asian food. Beef Wellington? I'm in the Philippines. I would have preferred roast pig or some amazing Filipino fish dish. Also, the coffee could be better. Also, there was a narrow window for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think they should add a "afternoon" snack and a late night snack. (On the other hand it did keep us from overeating!) The resort also contracts out the transfer to ITI airlines. For the price one pays for the airplane and transfer, ITI could arrange a shuttle to and from Manila International to the ITI airport. (Our cab driver had no idea where it was located. Thank goodness for Google Maps). But overall, amazing vacation. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for Water Cottage 109 or 110 if you want amazing sunsets from your room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family