“Untouched, exquisite location and incomparable hospitality”

El Nido Resorts Lagen Island
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in El Nido
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed at the Lagen Resort for our honeymoon in early January.
The professional service and genuine care of the staff was second to none.
The water cottage that we stayed in was beautifully decorated and equipped for the humid, hot days/nights. The pool is sensational and the use of paddleboards and kayaks in the lagoon is great!
All our trips to neighbouring islands were fantastic and the Banca boys who took us there were just as friendly and entertaining.
Randy on the guitar each night at dinner was an absolute star, and all of the staff with their big smiles made us feel so welcome.
The food was great, I definitely recommend this resort to those looking for untouched beauty, discreet and professional service, and a great Filipino cultural experience.

Room Tip: Sunset water cottage was very romantic!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julia K

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I am lucky enough to be working on Palawan Is. I had 2 days off with my wife and wanted to go to El Nido. I have flown over and it looked so amazing from the air I had to visit. We decided on Lagen Is. WOW is all I can say. From the moment you arrive it feels surreal. A stunning vista with incredible ambiance. We stayed in a Water Cottage. It was quite large, beautifully furnished with every thing you need (or don't ie TV, Wifi etc). The pool is stunning. The food is outstanding. The best I have had in my 3 months in the Philippines!! By far. The staff are gracious and kind and always attentive to your needs.We just hung out and enjoyed the view from out room the first day. I was a spectacle just to sit and admire the beauty. The second day we took the nature hike from behind the dining area all the way to a secluded beach on the other side of the island. It was a lovely jungle hike with mammoth trees, sweet smells and lots of unusual noises. You end up at a beach, only us there, with some of the most colorful shells I have ever seen and a few hermit crabs finding their new homes. A speed boat picked us up and took us back for lunch. After lunch we went to the beach club (another beach about 30 min). There we enjoyed a fantastic Hobie Cat sail (they let me take it out, very rare from my experience) and then went snorkeling. Finished the day with another top notch dinner and watched the sunset from our expansive balcony. What is not to love is this most amazing of places. I hope you can get there. p.s No night life and very quiet and tranquil. Not for the party goers which was fine with us.Cant' wait to return!!!! It is costly and quite difficult to get too. But well worth the ride.

Room Tip: The Water Cottage are very nice, situated over the water. But any place is good at Lagen Is.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TouristPilot
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Great location, great staff, great food, great service, great logistics, great pool, great activities.... This place is worth every dollar!

The only thing that didn't work for me was the cd on repeat during breakfast....

Ensure you stay in a water cottage!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rogier P
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Having seen the reviews of Lagen on tripadvisor I cannot believe that we visited the same resort as some of the reviewers.

To start with, the advertising blurb on the El Nido Resorts website is misleading and borders on outright misrepresentation. The only thing going for it is the setting, which is spectacular.

The accommodation is old and very well worn. The room we were given was dirty. The drawer under the basin was scary. The TV remote had to be positioned under the TV to change channels and the "free" DVDs required a DVD player which was available to rent at around $35! The bed was dreadful... the details are too numerous to mention.

The smell of the French drain (or some sanitation overflow) at the entrance to the dining hall should have alerted us to what we would find inside. The food was 2 star fare and that was the good part.

The whole place is decaying and in need of a complete renovation. The beautiful photography creates an impression, which is not reality. It is like a $75 per night motel in a great setting. By contrast, we had a fantastic time at Pangalusian, which is only 35% more expensive and is significantly superior in every way. They should not even be listed on the same website.

At almost USD 1700 per night for a family of four there are many, far superior, resorts to choose from. Lagen is a ripoff.

We now have a big concern regarding tripadvisor "Awards" because a tripadvisor award is proudly displayed in the reception at Lagen. It doesn't deserve any award at all. The only people who deserve awards are the friendly, if somewhat incompetent, staff.

Stayed: December 2013
12  Thank MickExplorer
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Christmas vacation for the family 24-27 December 2013 and while the accommodations were lovely and the scenery was beautiful, the service was surprisingly poor. It was difficult to determine whether it might have been due to operating with minimum staff because of the holidays or perhaps poor staffing unable to accommodate the high volume Christmas Island hoppers from the other resorts. Whatever the cause, the result was that we had to find a clean table for meals (especially breakfast), look for the pool bar attendant at any point in the day, and hunt down the guest coordinator for special arrangements. An obvious underlying problem was that didn't see any management. Also, the resort doesn't allow tipping, which, in our experience, diminishes any incentive to provide better service! The other extremely annoying oversight was the lack of pool chairs and loungers -16 chairs while the hotel accommodates at least 50 guests in addition to the island hoppers.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights.
This is not splashy luxury but perfect understated set up. Very comfortable and clean rooms. We were in a water cottage in the north wing.
The logistics is what impressed me most from the Manila terminal to the pick up in boats including transfers. You can have the pool all to yourself most of the day as the resort offers several island hopping alternatives. The food is delicious and buffet offering is more than adequate. The service is amazing but not pretentious. The staff are attentive and follow through on requests. Great people.Daisy, MariCon, Chad, Lover....I just hope this unique place does not get overdeveloped. Raise prices. My suggestions: drinks on the boats, sailboats at Dibuluan.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 25, 2013

It is hard to come to a vote regarding the hotel. Since the price is like a 5+ star hotel, I compare it with other experiences I had in such hotels.

Pro:
- Location can not be better, it is a nice island close to a rock formation wit jungle and a small beach
- Nice view from everywhere, hotel room, bar, restaurant pool etc.

Cons:
- Room smells a bit like mold what is no wonder due to the high humidity (I would have expected room deo)
- Not everything in the room is in excellent condition eg. refrigerator not cleaned from outside, holes in the mosquito net
- Restaurant/ Buffet is like in an 3-4 star hotel and far away from a hotel in this category e.g. just average food, tableware is not getting changed after each corse etc.
- Staff is always friendly but has a strange habit sometimes e.g. we waited 1h that somebody arranged us a place at the pool, no service at the pool like getting water etc., we have seen people waiting 1h for a drink at the bar, nobody were able to tell me in advance how I can get from Coron to El Nido

Overall it is a nice hotel which does not belong in the category they want to belong. It is way to overpriced and definitely not a award winner for me. I believe they can improve a lot if they are looking for the details as well.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple