“Very good, but...”

La Plage Sunset Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Nightlife in El Nido
More attraction details
Owner description: Sunset Bar and Beachfront Restaurant, Provençale and Asian Cuisines.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our meal in these restaurant on the front beach and I think here works a good chef and the service is quite good. Maybe this is the best place to have a gourmand dinner in El Nido but I'm not sure to do a good thing suggesting La Plage to the readers because after eating over there, 2 friends of us felt sick and one of those spent the same night and the day after into a clinic. However, I didn't have any problem and, to be honest, I have to give a good vote.

1  Thank Ferro_da_Milano
"days stay"
"min tricycle ride"
"last frontier"

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Don't even think about stopping here.
My wife and I recently visited at sunset, and when we went up to the bar to ask about food we were told that the restaurant didn't open for a few more minutes but that we could order a drink and wait for it to open.

An hour later, all the tables around us had received food, but we had still not seen a menu. Someone approached our table, asked if we wanted another drink and I replied "Could we order some food." The person stated "I don't know my English isn't really that good" and walked off. We waited 30 more minutes and watched as people around us continued to get served.

I went up to the bar to pay for our drinks and despite the entire staff sitting at the bar talking amongst themselves, to took several minutes for them to even acknowledge my presence and let me pay.

This place is totally worthless, for the week we were there all I saw was there drugged out appearing staff lounging on their beach chairs. I don't know who is fronting the money for this sorry excuse for a restaurant.

9  Thank Christopher M
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Had a bit of a squiz at the negative reviews, and I reckon they miss the mark.
It is true about the mosquitos (the things are everywhere around El Nido) - so make sure you bring your insect repellent so you can enjoy the best venue in which to enjoy a truly spectacular sunset.

We stumbled upon La Plage in what is possibly one of the happiest accidents of our trip to the Philippines. The ambiance is blissful - prime and comfortable positioning to watch the sunset, nice chilled music, and really incredibly friendly staff who seem to be keen just to have fun.

The cocktails were good (a little pricey, but hey- when you convert 180 peso into Australian dollars, we're not complaining), but it's the food that you should stay for.
The menu is tailored up every night, and the staff will bring it to you and explain all the meals to you. There's a really great mix of local Palawan-inspired dishes, and then some brilliant French options. Everything we ordered, from the eggplant caviar, the local Palawan salads, and the fish dishes.. were just incredible. We can't stop going back.

And it's all the more inspiring to know that these guys conjure up such great dishes from such a tiny kitchen - I have no idea how they do it, but it's obviously with a lot of care, love, and dedication to good food and fresh ingredients.

A must-do.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We came across La Plage and decided to stop for to watch the sunset and enjoy the cocktails. It's a great place to sit back and enjoy the sunset, but the pricey cocktails really fell short. After being sold on the Thai Mojito by one of the french guys, we were disappointed to get a weak, sugary-sweet drink.

We also inquired about the tapas, but for some reason, no one ever came back with an answer as to what they were serving that day, even though it was 6-7pm...

In general, it's a nice place to stop for a beer and watch the sunset, but don't expect memorable service or well-made drinks.

3  Thank CptWonderpants
See more reviews
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We ran into this bar on the first day strolling along Corong Corong beach looking for a place to have a drink. Since then we returned every evening as we considered the place to be and the beach bar of your dreams. The interior of the bar is furnished rather stylish (lounge style) and decorated really lovely. The music they play is rather electronic, ranging from downbeat over electroswing to drum'n'bass. In the evening they offer a small and daily changing menu, we really liked their fish BBQ, you can really taste the freshness of their food.
They also have watersports equipment for rent, we rented a boat and the owner provided everything we needed for a beach BBQ on our own.
We had a great time with the owners and staff and can we really recommend this place as the best bar to go in the El Nido area.

3  Thank Margot S