“Nice place to stay”

Lugadia Beach Cottages
Ranked #58 of 126 Specialty Lodging in El Nido
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We arrive from another resort, We occupy the family room with 1 double size bed and 2 single bed. Place is spacious, clean room and toilet. Staff are very accomodating even in late hours with bad weather

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank jdorado

Reviewed April 2, 2014

The cottage we had is spacious but very basic. The restaurant nearby offers delivery and have a fantastic view of the sunset. They organized tours and the boat can pick you up there so no need to go to town but unfortunately they were not on time.I just called them to reserved the room and no deposit required. Upon check-in I paid the full amount and they actually accept debit/credit cards for the room payment but not for food and tours. The bathroom was dirty, no hot shower and does not flush properly. It was really noisy since there was a construction going on. The staff are not attentive to your needs. I rented a motorcycle through them but they totally forgot about it. The towels are old and had stains which was really disgusting. This place if it weren't for the service could have been really nice. The location is lovely but other than that, I really would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Leceinej
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We arrived in Lugadia at 1AM and Weng accompanied us to our temporary room. The room is very basic. Queen size bed, towel, soap, and open cabinet. There is no hot water for the shower but we didn't mind. In the morning, there's free coffee and tea. What we really like about this place is that it feels like your second home and second family! Very relaxing ambience, peaceful, nice sunset view (but the weather is gloomy all through out our stay), and the hammocks outside our cottage. Power is out from specific time but that happens for the whole El Nido. The location is okay, it's 5 mins ride going to town. Note that there's no ATM Machine in El Nido but good thing is that they accept major credit cards.

The staff, Divine and Weng, were very helpful! We booked late for our tour but they tried to convince their contact agency to still accomodate us -- and got in! He told us that they will transfer our luggage once the other guests check-out which they did when we returned. The next day (Feb 14), they accompany us to Nacpan Beach to celebrate V-day lol! :) Very amazing beach with just a few tourists.

All in all, our stay was definitely awesome! You couldn't ask for more with the staff. Truly hospitable. We'll book again here when we get back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed in Lugadia beach cottages in Feb 2014 for over a week.

First the positive.

The location is very beautiful and calm, the cottages are located on a beach in Corong-Corong, some 5-10 minute tricycle drive from El Nido town/beach. This means the only traffic and people are the ones who stay there - as well as the staff and other workers who are building the cottages nearby.
There is a nice seating area, a few hammocks and a grill facing the beach. I believe it can be nice and relaxing when there aren´t noisy guests or workers building and making noise. Some of the cottages also face the beach so it´s probably nice to sit there during evening.
The staff are genuine and friendly, trying to help. They let me use their computer when the wifi was not working, asked how we were doing, helped with lighting the grill, always in a good mood. :)

They work with the neighbouring restaurant and bring food even to the cottages if you ask for it (we did as we fell ill during our stay). Everything is arrangeable, but it may take time and takes effort. The food available changes on a daily basis. You have to ask which foods on the menu are available.

Some speak better English, some poor. The problem is the culture where they will not want to let you down and therefore making things worse: if they don´t understand what you say they say yes, yes or no, no, depending on what they expect you want to hear... When it would be best to say honestly that the message didn´t go through. It was frustrating to try and make sure everything is understood. This goes for the whole area, take note!

Then the negative...

As another reviewer stated earlier, the staff are wonderfully nice and mean well, but are completely untrustworthy, which I am sad to say since they are genuinely nice. I am sure everyone is trying to make guests feel good and try to do their best helping, but simple basics are lacking making every other effort pretty much futile.

For example the first night I arrived I heard other guests complaining and, double and triple checking their bookings on trips etc, sounding worried. I was wondering why that was until I learned that basically nothing was sure until it was carried out in front of your very own eyes.
We had booked two cottages for our parties - turns out they had only one availabe due to double booking.

We also changed cottages since the facilities in different cottages varied greatly. The first cottage the toilet didn´t work - they promised to fix it "tomorrow". I was not going to wait for that and managed to get another cottage, double as expensive with A/C. Here the toilet was half functional. Some cottages have mosquito nets, my expensive cottage didn´t. When I asked for it, the reply was a genuine but useless "yes yes madame" with a smile.

Water pressure is poor in every cottage, and I promise you it is cold. Electricity is on from 3pm to 5-6 am (ish). That goes for the whole area, though, they simply turn off electricity in El Nido area during daytime.

Some cottages have bamboos as flooring, making it easy for bugs to come and go. We had two huge, different spiders on separate occasions in our bathroom at night... It´s not particularly fun when the electricity is off yet it´s still dark outside, to shower in icy cold water in the darkness knowing there are large spiders around your feet... Other cottages have tiled floors but bugs still come and go, it´s no help really.
Warning for people with allergies: there are chicken and other animals running around wildly - my friend told me she got allergic reaction possibly due to that and having a cottage floor that had huge wholes under which the animals ran.

There is constant noise from nearby building, staff, workers, other guests, animals... There is no sleeping after 6-7 am without ear plugs, the noise of building was especially loud. they also burn some trash (?) near some of the cottages and the smoke would come inside, since the walls/floors ar barely existent.

Staff use the guest cottages as they please when there is vacancy. They would use the showers, toilets, and sit in the verandas. It was very open, they actually told me they were for example using the shower in the empty cottage attached to mine while they passed me as I was sitting on the porch. I guess there´s nothing wrong with that but it does feel kind of strange listening to the "front desk" people singing in the shower two feet from you in a guest area... :P

The staff was friendly but very unreliable.
We asked 3 times to have our room cleaned, on three different days. The anser was always "yes madame", but nothing happened. Finally it was done on day three after a persuasive suggestion. We had to ask for towels, for toilet paper, for emptying of trash (you cannot throw toilet paper in the toilet or it will stop working, it has to thrown in a separate basket, just like in many other countries with poorer plumming)... ask for everything, all the time, since there is no upkeep in rooms whatsoever, even if you stay for 9 days!

We also had an important lift booked for early morning, leaving for the flight. Having double cheked that the guy WILL pick us up at 7 am and take us to the airport for 250 pesos, I though that was sorted. But no - in the morning I had to wake up staff and remind them I have to check out and pay, and we had agreed on the lift. Turns out, the guy who was supposed to take me to the airport was - sleeping! Hihihihi! That was the "apology" I got from the staff, for them to be too lazy to get up... I was furious!

All in all, I really liked the staff since they seemed to have a heart of gold. It simply isn´t enough however. :( I would say this place is OK for travellers who are very laid back and don´t really care if it turns out their reservation is lost or their toilet doesn´t work. For the rest of us who don´t want to stress about that, I would recommend more functional facilities.
I give 3 stars to beautiful location as it is next to the beach and more quiet than central El Nido.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Niamhhh
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Lugadia for a total of 7 nights for 1.000 peso per night (during Chinese New Year, so high season).

The bungalow we had was mediocre. It had a double bed with a very thin mattress, mosquito net, fan, small sidetable and an open cabinet. The ensuite bathroom had a cold shower, water pressure was very low and the toilet did not flush properly, so we used a bucket to flush it. Also there was a terrible smell coming from the drains, probably due to a sewage problem. The cottage had a nice small patio with table and chairs facing the ocean, but a large tree was blocking the view. The wi-fi was ok but the signal was better outside the room.

The place is located at the far end of Corong-Corong. Trikes cost 40 peso for 2 pers. one way to El Nido. There was no traffic noise and at high tide we could hear the ocean waves from our cottage.

There was free coffee and tea available all day at the common seating area at the beach, which was a nice touch. However during our stay this seating area was used by a group of guests staying in the other cottages for a few nights in a row until very late at night, drinking and talking very loudly. The staff did not do anything about this.

The staff is friendly and they mean well, but they do not take responsibility for anything at all and they are certainly not capable of running a guesthouse. We had booked for 4 nights and had planned to take the boat to Coron, which tickets we arranged through the Lugadia staff. The day we had planned to leave however the boat was fully booked, and the next 2 days the boat was cancelled due to a small typhoon.

Since this meant we had to stay in El Nido in the meantime, we asked the staff early in the morning if we could stay a couple of nights longer. They told us our cottage was booked, but that another one of their cottages would come available that afternoon. So we cleared our room, payed ahead for the new cottage and left the luggage behind their desk. They promised to put it in our new cottage while we were away.

That night when we returned it turned out our luggage was still behind the desk and that they had given away the available cottage to new incoming guests. But they told us not to worry, since they had "a room for us at the back". They actually took us to another place even further down the road, St. John's Island View Pensionne, apparently owned by another family member. We had to walk through the bushes lugging our packs in pitch dark with a flashlight and got a room there for the money we payed to stay at Lugadia.

The pensionne was obviously brand new, they had not even finished building. Our concrete tiled room smelled like new paint, the hot shower that was supposed to be there was not yet installed, no wi-fi, no cellphone reception in the room, no coffee/tea, no outside seating area and it was not even near the beach. Since it was already too late in the evening to go look for another accomodation we took the room, but we were not pleased at all with the way they handled this situation. If they would have told us that they would put us in this place we would have taken the time to go look for another place that day.

Since the situation with the small typhoon was quite uncertain, we had to ask the Lugadia staff to contact the ticketing office for the boat a couple of times a day to find out if the boat would be cancelled or not. They did not take initiative to inquire themselves. They told us to get up and be ready with our bags at their desk at 6:30AM three days in a row, because they would drive us to the port in their trike if the boat would be running.

The first two days the boat turned out to be cancelled, which they knew the evening before but did not bother to tell us, so we got up and ready for nothing. Every morning they would still be sleeping behind the desk and we had to wait around and knock on their door for 10 minutes before they showed up. The second day we went up to the desk and they said they could not reach the boating company so they would go there and inquire and then come to our room to tell us the outcome. We went back to our room, waited for 45 min all set to go, then went back to the desk to find out the boat was not running but they did not bother coming to our room to tell us as they had promised.

Since the typhoon had passed and we were sure the boat would be running the third day, we asked one of the staff the night before when we had to be ready. She did not seem to know anything about the boat and just told us we had to be ready at 6:30AM again and that they would drive us to the port with their trike. Of course that's what we did, but that next morning they were again still sleeping when we came to the desk and it took them 15 min to get up and open the door, only to tell us the boat would not be leaving before 8:00AM, so that we should wait until 7:30AM before they would drive us. So we waited outside, until 7:40AM, and they were still not up. So we knocked and knocked again, only to find Wing answering that he was to tired to drive us in his trike and that we should find another trike ourselves.

At that point I felt really disappointed in their attitude and total lack of responsibility. The staff is totally unreliable, constantly make promises they don't keep, don't feel responsible for anything and never once apologised for the way they handled things with us. As if we were dealing with children.

This place is no good value for money. There are many places around El Nido that offer the same concept for a similar price, that will probably offer better value. I am sorry to have to give Lugadia such a negative review, since the staff seem to mean well and are friendly, but I feel the need to be honest. At this moment they are not fit to run any business at all.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravellingAsia2013
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Basic beach cottages with lovely view from the beach and restaurant. A fair way from town - both a pro in terms of being quieter and a con in terms of hassle getting there and back. Nice food and friendly service. Not super clean, but our main complaint was noise. Our cottage was semi detached and the adjoining wall was very thin. In addition there was building work right behind the cottage from 6:30 am. Like much of El Nido no hot water and electricity at night only.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed February 7, 2014

When I first arrived in El Nido, I hadn't got any accommodation booked. The tricycle driver showed me about 4 places in the main town, but they were terrible and I wouldn't have felt comfortable staying there alone! I asked him to take me to look at the Corong-Corong area, and the first place he showed me was Lugadia. I was so happy to find this place, it was exactly what I was looking for - clean, quiet, simple, safe, good price, beautiful setting, and great hosts! Divine and Wayne are so friendly, they really did make my 5 night stay perfect. They helped me organise my trips, visits to the town and different beaches. You couldn't ask for a better setting and the sunsets are amazing! I loved going to sleep at night, listening to the waves and waking up in the morning to see the beautiful view! I can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in cottage 3 and it had an amazing view!