“Simple but central, clean and quiet”
Review of Hotel Garnet

Hotel Garnet
Ranked #77 of 99 El Nido B&B and Inns
UK
“Simple but central, clean and quiet”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed 5 nights at this centrally located no frills hotel which is clean and readily accessible.
Check in was quick and easy, but don't expect help with baggage, there are very few staff. Rooms are clean and comfortable, with large bathrooms and are serviced every day.
Aircon is a basic wall unit but worked very well, similarly the TV was a small wall mounted unit, but it worked as required.
There was a lot of construction work ongoing next door (as is the case all over El Nido now) but the noise didn't bother us too much as we were out most days anyway. The communal area on the second floor where they have complimentary tea and coffee is also quite noisy, but this is due to inconsiderate guests and not the hotel fault at all.
The hotel has its own Generator which supplies basic power needs during the scheduled El Nido Brownouts (0600-1400+) but be aware, it doesn't run the Aircon or the Electric Shower.
Hotel has no restaurant facility, the complimentary breakfast is served in the nearby Habibi Restaurant overlooking the beach. Choices are basic but adequate and the food is well cooked. For other meals El Nido has many choices of reasonable restaurants.
Wifi is unreliable, as is elsewhere in El Nido, basically forget it for important communications.
All things considered, this is one of the best hotels to stay in El Nido, it doesn't overlook the beach and has no extra facilities, therefore it is a little cheaper, however it is very well situated and is clean, relatively quiet and comfortable. If returning to El Nido we would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Front Rooms have traffic noise, rear have adjacent construction work, middle rooms are better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I'm pretty sure I got one of the worst rooms in the hotel, and it was STILL a million times better than the cheaper hotel I ran screaming away from, or the more expensive beachfront hotel I stayed in a year before. I came at 2 AM after leaving a horrible place and woke up the poor staff, who were very kind and helped me with my bags up to the room. I suspect that because I came so late, I got the last pick of the rooms, but I was perfectly happy with it. This hotel is CLEAN. Spotlessly clean. In an ideal world that would be a given, but in El Nido, it's hard to come by (I checked several places and none compared). There's electricity 24/7, which is also hard to come by, even in more expensive places. My room didn't have a window (it was blacked out), so there was a very slight damp smell and I had to leave the door open now and then to air it out (though I'm extra sensitive to smells and I'm not sure the average person would even have noticed it). There was, however, a fan, air conditioning, fast WiFi, and a TV with English channels. The TV didn't work during the day when the generator power was on, but anyway who comes to El Nido to watch TV all day? Breakfast is at a restaurant across the street, which has great beach views and delicious food. There is a small terrace with a table at the hotel as well as sofas in the hall where I sat for more light during the day. It seemed that most rooms actually had windows and were nice and sunny, but as I said, after the hell I went through at two other hotels I was perfectly satisfied with my spotlessly clean back room. The bed was also very comfortable and the room was cleaned daily, and cleaned well. It was the best sleep I had in a total of a month in the Philippines. The hotel is located right in the center of town, but at least in my room, I didn't hear any noise at all from other guests or from the street. It's not a luxury hotel, but if you want any kind of luxury in El Nido, you'll be paying 8 times as much. If I went back to El Nido, I wouldn't even think about staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a window, but even if they're full, you're still better off here than...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LKocaturk
Witney, Oxfordshire
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We originally booked into a cheaper hotel down the road but decided that we needed the air con and so headed to the bright orange Garnet hotel. We had a look at the room before taking a walk around town and seeing a few others to compare. The Garnet was by far the best value for money and so we decided to book two nights stay.

We ended up staying 8 nights in total and had no issues with the hotel at all. The staff are all really friendly and they keep the place really clean. The girls are awesome and always around to replenish the hot water/tea/coffee. It is a really laid back place where you can be left alone to get on with your vacation but given help when it is asked for. The beds were made up every day and the towels laid out in different cute designs.

The hotel has a generator and so when the towns power turns off between 6am and 2pm you can still use the fan and internet too. We had a room in the middle of the 1st floor so it was perfectly placed to be noiseless(apart from the early risers breakfasting outside our bedroom door)

If you want somewhere to chill for a while this is the place. It is not a 5* resort where the staff all kiss your a** but it was perfect for us, laid-back mid range travellers/occassional backpackers.

Room Tip: You can stay in a room with a balcony for extra but if you are on a budget you don't really need...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend came to El Nido not really knowing where to go... we came by bus at night and thought there would be a hotel/tourist zone, but there really wasn't. We told the tricycle to keep driving.. we didn't really know where but we were looking for a lit street. We came to a place where a security guard greeted us just we got out of the tricycle, and we thought wed stay a night just to look for another hotel the next day. Well apparently the decent places are all the same price, and none are as clean and nice as this one. Very helpful crew and good people, as in all the Phillipines.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank DeanIL
Puerto Princesa, Philippines
Reviewed April 30, 2013

What can I say. DISASTER!
First impressions were dismal. I struggled through the door with 3 suitcases while being watched by the 2 staff in reception.
The 'owner' was lying down horizontal on a sofa next to reception desk while texting on her phone. She made no attempt to acknowledge me or greet me. We were given our room key but nobody said which floor we were on!
WARNING. THE HOTEL HAS CONSTRUCTION ON EITHER SIDE AND ABOVE.
Our rear room was completely overlooked by construction. We could not open or curtains because workers gad a granstand view 10 feet from our windoe,
Then we started to eperience the penny-pinching management tactics,
We already knew of El Nido's power supply...BUT we were not told that every time we left our room the staff woukd manually disconnect our power. Every time we returned back to our room we'd have no power and would have to walj down 3 flights of stairs and then find somebidy to complain to.
It took me 3 days to realise that it was the staff who were throwing the switch. Before this we were told every excuse in the book as to why the power was off.
Daytime when mains is of tgey have a generator. So you have fans and lights. Also the tv us piwered BUT, they don't oower the cabke tv bix so your tv is USELES.
I now believe this is a deliberate pokicy yo force you out of your room so that you won't use any power!
MESSAGE TO THE MANAGEMENR.
Put a note in rooms telling them to ask for their power to be reconnected when they return.

Room Tip: There's construction above and on both sides. Unless you have a central front room on 2nd floir...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PalawanEnglishExpat
GILMAC09, Owner at Hotel Garnet, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Good day,this is the owner of Garnet hotel and im very sad that this guess is not satisfy on his stay in our hotel, first i am not the " SHE OWNER" that he was talking about that did not make any greeting on his arrival coz im not a woman, maybe he assume that it is the owner, a lot of guess are staying on the first floor lobby for wifi connection, maybe its one of the guess he mistakenly identify as the owner. Second thing is that he said that he bring his luggage alone which is not true because we always assure that guess are given help with there luggage specially when they are assigned on second and third floor and my male receptionist said that he actually bring the luggage up and help them park their car in front of the hotel and the parking lot is just 2-3meters away from the entrance so there is no way that he was not assist properly. Elnido is a very fast developing town so there is a lot or everywhere there is contruction being done, some are hotel, restuarant or any establishment, it is not however our fault that they builing beside,we have no control on that but we ask them to make the noises as weak as possible during the morning and end up at 5pm, even its not our fault we are asking for apology for the inconvinient that the whole elnido is giving because of its development. third issue that he said was turning the power of on their room. actually its not the power but only the airconditioning unit being turned off and there is areason for that. first we make sure that the guest know that electricity in whole town of elnido only start from 2pm to 6am, in that time they can use aircon and everything else but after 6am to 2pm we are running our own backup generator so they can only use fan, outlets and lights and it was on the hotel policy posted on every lobby for guess information. second is that aircon was being turned OFF on the breakers downstairs because when the POWER OF ELNIDO TOWN TURN OFF by 6am the aircon was not automatically off and when the power goes ON by 2pm the aircon will automatically turn on making our aircon vulnerable to power surge because the voltage is higher and not that stable in the first 5mins from when the power start. That system of power supply in Whole elnido town damage us 2 new airconditioning unit and 4 flatscreen tv, so im asking you, if you were the hotel owner would you risk a lot of appliances?i think not, you may do what we do as well. but we still asking apology for that inconvinient but we are too are sad that the electricity of our home town is running that way.there is also a intercom unit in every lobby in every floor so it is not our fault that he just go downstairs making him sweat instead of using his two eyes looking for the intercom unit to tell us what his problem is. thats more simple i guess than being angry all the time. and perhaps maybe this guess could consider my staff as human being trying to make a living and not a slave he can shout on when he wants to! we are friendly as well as my staff so there is no need for being angry all time making you unapproachable and hard to assist. Please respect people around as much as you want to be respected. thanks

Travelers are raving about these El Nido hotels

Northwood, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was here with my bf last year in May. It seems relatively new and they were stil works ongoing on the rooftop. After dinner one night, we did our evening walk down the streets in El Nido. We were staying on different hotel when we first arrived in El Nido. We saw Garnet and my bf did asked bout the rates and such. We were given special discounts as walk in n my bf placed a deposit.

We had great spacious room across the hallway. Hot beverages served 24/7. Thou no breakfast served, there were many cafe and cheap restaurants around. We got to try most of that as we were the only ones that stayed long there I believe.

Great job!!!

Room Tip: All you need to do is...ASK..
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Garnet for a few nights. The room I had was quite small but as a solo traveller, I didn't not mind. My room had an AC and a fan and both did work as long as electricity was on. The room was clean.

The bathroom is quite small and no shampoo or soap was provided so bring your own. The rooms lack a safety box but valuables can be stored in the hotel safe.

The neighboring rooster will wake you up at the crack of dawn, way before breakfast which is served across the street. Breakfast provides both western and Filipino style - all very good.

Staff is very friendly.

Keep in mind this is a budget hotel and there are no frills.

• Stayed May 2012