We decided to stay at the viewdeck during our El Nido trip as the pictures on their website looked really nice, both of the rooms and the view. We ended up staying 2 nights in the SUPERIOR room with ac and hot water. The room was on the lower floor closer to the townside.
First of all, what the pictures don't show is that 70% of your view from the property is of the side of a big cliff. Of the remaining 30%, another half are tree tops, so only 15% of our actual view is of the town and water, which of course is beautiful.
The room itself was small and damp, the ac loud. I ended up with 30 super itchy mosquito bites here just after 1 night, what happened to the mosquito nets I saw in their website pictures?? Though on a hill, the property is still close to the main road, so you'll hear all the morning tricycle and car traffic, not to mention the gangs of roosters both from across the street and from the hill. Overall I had 2 horrible nights that I barely slept.
The bathroom was even more damp and the shower had zero water pressure. It turned out that the gas water heater actually doesn't work without electricity! And since the power's out from 6am-3pm, we had to take cold showers during that time. So much for the hot water room.
Upon checking in we inquired about island trips and mountain climbing trips, but the people working the front desk just told us to come back later when the manager was there. Several times that I tried to find someone the front desk was empty. Several more times I asked or requeseted something the person obviously didn't understand English very well and just smiled at me and nodded instead of replying. Not that any of the employees were rude or unfriendly, just unhelpful and unprofessional.
I like the idea of serving breakfast on the balcony and that you can order it for anytime in the morning, but they consistently brought the food 20-30min later than what we asked for. Since those mornings we had scheduled trips, having the food late meant that we had to rush to eat and run out, which was not the relaxing morning we had wanted.
Finally, with all this I can't understand how they can charge over $70 a night for this. If it wasn't because of Chinese New Years high season, we wouldn't have stayed here. And luckily we were only here for 2 nights, afterwich we moved to Coral Bay Resort, 5 min tricycle ride from Viewdeck where the real views are and a much much better value for your money.
- Also Known As:
- El Nido Viewdeck Inn Palawan Island