“Great place to stay - friendly, helpful staff, clean rooms, excellent management”

Ipil Suites El Nido
Ranked #20 of 99 El Nido B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 2, 2012

El Nido, Palawan, is how I'd imagined an island paradise to be - stunning waters, white sands, deserted beaches, stark limestone cliffs hiding secret lagoons, brilliant sunsets, a place to just be.

The experience was made more memorable by our stay in Ipil Travelodge - from the start, the GM Trish helped us arrange charter flights, van transfers and room bookings, with clear itemised cost breakdowns; laid out tour options we could try within our budgets, recommending good times to go for different places so we would not be trapped with other tourists and even took us to their private beach. She recommended good dinner options about town as well.

Breakfast at their restaurant 360 - as the tallest building in town, you have a panoramic view of the entire bay, and the food is simple but delicious - unbeatably fresh.

The rooms are simple, kept very clean, and the hotel is very new. I'm always afraid of dirty toilets, but theirs was kept very clean and functional. Staff are friendly and helpful overall. Particular kudos to:

a) Richard who was incredibly patient on our snorkelling trip and assisted one of our group who was a non-swimmer the whole way, while keeping an eye out on all of us, taking underwater photos for us too, as none of us could dive unaided.

b) Dennis, for making us a coconut leaf hat!

The personal touches made the trip and the stay at Ipil memorable to me. It felt like it was staying at a friend's place, vs staying at an impersonal hotel. Would definitely go back. Highly recommended.

Note: The whole town has no electricity from 6am - 2pm, so travellers should be aware of this. Bring sunblock and bug repellant for some of the tours, as some of the islands could have mosquitoes.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank YiLyn
There are newer reviews for Ipil Suites El Nido

Reviewed March 20, 2012

There was 5 of us and we need 4 rooms. Somebody talk about this when place we we're in Coron and so tried. We arrived around 9pm and checking in was smooth, room is pretty clean, bed is comfortable to sleep on, bathroom is wide and shower works so well, its exactly what we are looking for a place. We had our dinner at the their very own restaurant that serves meal that is really bomb. We stayed at this place for 3 nights and we're all satisfied with there excellent service. We stayed in a room that is fronting the road (noisy specially in the morning but we're already aware about it so its OK, we live!)Location is just a few minutes walk away to get into the town and beach. Will definitely stay here again till our next vacation in El Nido. :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the back part of the building is way much quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank iluvmyboyfriend
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Walked in and booked 3 nights and then extended to 4 later with no problem. Friendly and helpful staff. Really clean and modern bedroom and bathroom. Room had a nice quiet AC and ceiling fan. Our room (204) had a balcony but not much of a view (the garden area and cliffs). The housekeeping staff did a great job and were helpful when we needed assistance one day. Free bottles of water upon check-in. Comfy bed. The restaurant on the 4th floor had a great panoramic view of the beach and ocean. Had dinner (shrimp curry) and continental breakfast and both were great (nice bread for the breakfast, also they gave me a free dessert with dinner which was nice!).
The location was not beachfront if that's what you're looking for but if you get a higher-up, beach-facing room you could have a nice view. Super close to the Art Cafe which was really convenient. I liked that you hand in your key when you step out so you don't ever lose it. And the staff got to know us very quickly and always knew which key to give us when we returned.
Definitely recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ocean, rather than the street.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Liz S
Reviewed February 28, 2012

It was my first time in El Nido and at first found it quite challenging to find a suitable place to stay. I wanted a place preferably close to town and had reasonable rates. I didn't go wrong by choosing Ipil. It was right smack in the middle of town, just about behind Art Cafe, a short 2 minute walk to shore and a few more minutes walk to pretty much everything.

Reserving a room was a bit of a let-down at first. Although they provide 3 numbers in their website, reservations are done only through their Puerto Princesa number. I sent an email but it took quite a while to get a reply. I tried calling but was told that they're booked. Soon afterwards, I got an email reply stating that they have rooms available. Once I've confirmed this with the reservations agent, Liezl, it was smooth all throughout. I booked my van transfers (via Eulen Joy) from/to Puerto Princesa through the hotel. I was picked up at the airport and was even assured of a front seat in the van.

Once we arrived in El Nido, the van company upon our request dropped us off right at the hotel's doorstep. We were immediately greeted with smiles by the accommodating and friendly front desk personnel Kristel and Chonne. Check-in was quick and we were immediately escorted to our room.

The relatively new, modern and clean room was a pleasant surprise. It was rather small but had enough room to move around. The bathroom, however, was more that adequate in size with a spacious shower stall and hot water. There was only one night table and a small luggage rack in the room which wasn't enough to accommodate our luggage. The A/C was cool while there was power. There was also a ceiling fan but it was more decorative than functional. A drying rack and some hangers are provided in the balcony. Rooms were cleaned daily but Housekeeping was a little inconsistent replacing our bottled waters. Some days, they would only provide a bottle instead of 2.

Complimentary Breakfast was adequate but choices are limited to only 1 continental and 2 Filipino dishes. Breakfast is served at 360 restaurant at the 4th floor. It's probably the highest structure in town which meant you had an unobstructed view of El Nido bay. Out of curiosity, I initially tried other restaurants in town for dinner. But upon convincing by the manager, I decided to try dinner at 360 and it did not disappoint. I was able to try two fish fillet dishes over pasta and it was yummy. I also sampled the seafood curry which was ok but I was able to try something better elsewhere in town. I was able to meet some other guests at 360 and one of them requested for Prawns and fish for dinner the next evening. The hotel gladly accepted our request and prepared a sumptuous meal of Prawns and baked Red Snappers all of which were fresh and really mouthwatering. Great job chef William and thanks also to Elena for patiently waiting on us on those late nights.

All our tours were booked through the hotel. Though tour prices are more or less fixed everywhere in town, the hotel provided the use of their kayaks at no extra charge. When doing tour A, you get to have lunch at the hotel owner's own private beach aptly named Ipil Beach. We did tour C but was immediately aborted following a freak accident at Tapuitan straight when we encountered an offshore tornado that flipped and capsized our tour boat. Fortunately, no one was hurt and we made it back to town safely. Special thanks to Richard and Brandon, the very young and hardworking tour guides of the Ipil.

It was overall an enjoyable stay in spite of the unfortunate incident with special thank you to the manager, Femia for her concern. The Bacuit Archipelago is definitely a sight to behold and a place I can truly be proud of so much so that I've already planned a return visit at the end of the year. And if budget permits, I'll still be staying at Ipil.

Room Tip: Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel and away from the road.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank bryantpark88
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Had amazing time at Ipil! The views and food in their restaurant are excellent. We enjoyed their island hopping tours with nice guides who knew what they were doing. The service in the hotel was very good, they were helpful and polite. Without a doubt, the best place to stay in El Nido!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ukeiro
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We stayed 5 nights in el nido. Two in marina bay resort and three in the Ipil travel lodge.

First two nights where on the top floor with a huge balcony and sea view ( the hotel is located a short walk from the beach). The rooms are clean, new, good beds in contrast to the marina bay resort. Last night we spend in the standard room which was smaller but still comfy.

The staff was friendly and helpfull especially the manager who gave us many tips!! She even lend me her hat when I was completely sunburned. Breakfast is served in a beautiful rooftop restaurant.

The only small con; the bad exchange rate offered (so dont forget to pin in puerto!)

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Btissamb
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and wished that I hadn't as I had more than my fair share of dramas here.
Upon checking in, I was presented with a room which was acceptable by any standard. They had forgotten to stock my room with complimentry water but I was able to purchase this upstairs so no big drama. Also the shelf on top of the sink had not been wiped down after the previous guest had, had a shave, but I can live with that too. Asides from this, the room was fine and I did like the look of the large modern bathroom.
That first night around 11pm all the power went out. I understand that this is a common problem in El Nido. The town does not have power between 6am and 2pm and black-outs are common.however,the hotel did not seem to have a back up generator which for the price they charge they should have! I accept not being able to use aircon but I could not use my fan or even turn a light switch on. This occurred while I was showering and the room went pitch black and managed to hit my head walking into the bathroom wall. The lights and fan remained out of order all night and I had to dress in the dark.
The next morning around 10am, i was told that they had made a mistake and given me the wrong room and I would need to check out and the re-check into another room. My new room would not be ready until after 2pm as someone was currently using it. I got quite upset at this point as I was meeting friends at 12pm and wanted to relax in my room for awhile and shower as i was sandy from being at the beach. As I created a scene they did manage to find me another room that was available right away, but not until after various phone calls to the manager, housekeepers etc. I had to pack and then unpack again which was really frustrating. My new room was a little bit better than the first room. They had remembered to stock the room with free water and it was not directly below the noisy restaurant meaning the sleep quality would be better. They did not have a curtain over the balcony door which means people could look into my room. The last room did offer more privacy as there was a curtain.
Around 3pm in the afternoon when I had returned and discovered that there was still no power and the generator was still not working, i asked them when this would be fixed. I explained that I did not want to be in a dark room all night without a fan considering I was paying 2400 pesos a night. They could not give me an answer and said perhaps it would still not be working. I told them that I wanted to be refunded my money so I could check in somewhere else. At first they refused to do this saying it was not possible until I insisted on seeing the manager.
In all fairness the manager was understanding of my situation and could not refund me the 2400 I paid on expedia but refunded me 2300 for one out of the two nights accommodation I had booked. I explained that for the price you pay, they really should have a back up generator. She explained that the power was working in every other room, just the two rooms that I happened to be checked into.
In the end I went and stayed in a backpackers on the beach for 350pesos which had a fan & light switch that worked despite the town having a black out.

Room Tip: Save your money and look else where
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo