“Lovely place, secluded. Friendly staff”
Review of Coral Bay Resort

Coral Bay Resort
Ranked #50 of 105 El Nido B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Spent Christmas here in 2011. Beautiful place, very secluded, it's actually in a separate island. Very intimate as we were about less than 15 guests (mostly foreigners, locals started coming in after Xmas).

Owner is also a foreigner. The husband is nice. It was the whole family having a vacation as well.

We had lechon for christmas eve, food was great, cook and staff are friendly. We even had a little game on xmas eve.

As for our room, it was okay. Electricity come in 6pm-6am so you can only turn the fan on at night, as well as charge your stuff. As for stuff to do, not much really. Snorkeling was fantastic, there are some kayaks you could help yourself to, so you can paddle to neighboring islands if you dare. Other than that, it's just a place to relax, read a book and tan.

All in all, a great great place to stay and be away from everyone else. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: choose the ones on the beach, facing the sea. It will be a little bit expensive but it's worth i...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Geraldine C

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Had a great stay at this homey resort. It's right in front of the beach on the other side of El Nido called Corong Corong. There was only a handful or resort in this area and Coral Bay was the nicest in my opinion. The courtyard was very nice, everything was handmade except for the light fixtures and water faucets.

We were greeted by one of the owners and made our payment and we were shown our room. We had a family room with three queen size beds. One of the bed had a partition wall from the other two. The bathroom was in the back of the room with a shower and small sink. The room also had a table with four chairs and kitchen counter space but no sink or anything like that. There were two ceiling fans and an air conditioner. There was a nice porch outside with a table and two chairs that over looked the amazing view of Corong Corong beach.

The beach was shallow for a long time which worked out well with the little ones but there was a lot of rocks and it was hard to walk. It was mostly sunny when we were there but it was also hazy so I'm not very sure if the water was truly torquise. It would have been nice if they had a few lounge chairs by the beach. In the meantime, bring a couple of thin long scarves as beach blankets or you can use one of the towels provided in your room.

Speaking of towels, the resort hand washes their linens and towels and the towels seemed musty after you only use it once. I think it was the humidity. It would be nice if they had a washer and dryer and have towels that are nice and fluffy but it did its job.

The bathroom was small decent but don't expect the international/North American standards here. This was the only real issue I had except the van ride to El Nido. They had a small bar or soap and two small packets of shampoo and two rolls of toilet paper which I really appreciated as some hotels that we stayed only gave us one roll of toilet paper eventhough we were paying over $100 a night. Still, I suggest you buy/bring bar of soap, toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner and inside slippers. There was no shelf for your soap, shampoo and conditioner in the shower and most people just used the top of the divider as a shelf for the above. I found atleast five bar of soap up there on our first day and I didn't know which one was ours! I threw them all out and I bought a bigger size at the mini mart outside the resort and never use the top divider for toiletries after that. It would have been nice if there was a small shelf for those items in the shower and I wished they had a bathmat for your feet. We used one of the towels to wipe our feet after the shower instead.

Breakfast was great and we didn't have to wait very long for our food. They knew what we wanted and made a note of that in the beginning. The owners were awesome and very accommodating and friendly so were the shy workers.

As for transportation we paid P40 (daytime) and P60 (night time) for a tricycle ride to El Nido. Even with the minor things above I will definitely stay here again.

The only major complaint I have was the van ride to El Nido. It's not the resort's fault but Oh Ehm Gee! It was the scariest ride of my life and I normally like roller coaster! It was suppose to take 5.5 hrs to get there and we got there in 4.5 hrs but it was a definitely a roller coaster ride. We booked a shared van with the resort and we paid P700 each for one a one way van ride but the van was packed to the max. I was squished the whole time and the crazy driver was driving recklessly in the winding road. He was texting while driving and honking every two minutes and had no regard to the pedestrian and other vehicles or his passengers lives. Thank God we made it out there alive. And we stopped over at Wally's restaurant which they owned and the food was awful and they only had an outhouse. The last hour was gravel road and it was so dusty that you can smell the dust in the van I could hardly breathe. They were trying to book us for the return trip and we flat out refuse. I guess it's better than the public bus without air condition but there's no excuse for the reckless driving. We booked a private van with Art Cafe and made sure they did not use Fort Wally. We were gonna hire a private van from the locals but it was too risky and I was more comfortable booking with a reputable company. Speaking of Art Cafe, they were great, great food and good service we ate there several times. We also ate in Squidoos amazing seafood but we waited two hours for our food. I peaked in their kitchen and they only have one person working there. No wonder it took forever! Anyway, The private van cost P8000 but there is a private airport in El Nido for I think $200 one way.

We will definitely be back and hopefully they have ironed the few minor wrinkles the next time we visit and we'll take the plane and avoid the dreaded 5.5 van ride ugh!!

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Anoini2
Reviewed July 28, 2012

bob was awesome and thorough and has daily rituals to make anyone jealous!
Alain is direct and thorough and a laugh a minute to have around!
Alexander and Kevin were very helpful with the tasks about the resort
Susan and Cornelio made sure we had a great breakfast every morning (farm fresh eggs YUMMY)

the rooms are island fare and could only use some mosquito netting as an improvement. we stayed in both the beachfront villa and the VIP suite and enjoyed them both. The VIP suite has an excelllent shower for two which we enjoyed thoroughly and the view from the balcony is amazing ! What a way to have breakfast!

It's also out of El Nido town about 10 minutes making it quiet and quaint and el nido town easily accessable.

Saldy's tours for island hopping and mountain trekking were amazing and he was also a total pleasure as a person to be around.

WARNING: IF YOU ARE GOING ON HOLIDAY AND DO NOT EMBRACE "ISLAND TIME" OR ARE LOOKING TO COMPLAIN GOTO A FIVE STAR RESORT. THIS PLACE IS FOR CHILL OUT NINJAS ONLY!

the massage place down the road does incall and even my fiancee is still raving about the foot massages, so i highly recommend both body and foot massages!

a totally remarkable experience and feel free to contact me with any questions, THESE GUYS ROCKED!

Room Tip: VIP room has incredible balcony from which to have breakfast from and watch the sunset from as well...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank unkleriko
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Having been to El Nido once, I know I want to be away from the crowds and wanted a little more privacy and this place delivered. We stayed at one of their private cottages with the best view of the beach and the amazing sunsets every afternoon. The new cottage has a very efficient air conditioning and hot shower which is what you will need after a full day of being out exploring. They were nice enough to accommodate my breakfast request of rice, fish and eggs every morning to help fuel my adventures every morning. The restaurants and other services in town are easily accessible by taking a very cheap tricycle ride. You will need cash to pay the entire amount of your stay on the first day so be prepared. I almost ran out of cash as the money changer at Art Cafe would not take my semi wrinkled dollar but they agreed after a little bit of pleading. There is so much to see and do at El Nido that I was left wanting to stay longer after our 4 day trip at this beautiful paradise. Like Douglas Mcarthur - I shall return. :)

Room Tip: Bring plenty of pesos in cash. Be back at the hotel to witness some of the most amazing sunsets in...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eyo322
Reviewed June 4, 2012

From the start bob, the co-owner is easy to deal with... He answered all our email/inquiries promptly and give honest suggestions.

When we arrived at his resort, it was already late since we took the last trip from puerto princessa but he waited for us and welcome us like a family he didnt see for a long time...offered a bottle of beer for a short talk but none of us though are alcoholic drinkers so we refuse his offer... He help us in our luggage & sent us to our room. He is very attentive to our needs... Asking almost everyday how are we doing... How's the boat ride or if we need some things.

What made our stay awesome is the kind of service he is giving...his sincerity and hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Hansky18
Reviewed June 2, 2012

we booked this resort in corong-corong since me and my family wanted a peaceful and relaxing vacation. pros: great value for money especially for families (500/pax with breakfast. beat that); sunset view is simply amazing; robert is an accommodating hands-on owner; room design is good - the family room we had could accommodate 8 persons comfortably. cons: coral bay is a 10 minute trike ride to bayan if you want to go to market; not ideal for party goers; lean season during end of May (somehow our room was not maintained before we arrive - wooden floor had some sand). Our family room had a private veranda and perfect sea view - at that time we had the whole resort to ourselves :)

Room Tip: for family, choose the family room in beachfront. there are two isolated rooms fronting the beach fo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank angeli94
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Coral Bay is a quiet, friendly sort of budget resort. They met our expectations in every regard, but did't blow us away either. We enjoyed a corner cottage with a private porch and garden overlooking the beach for two nights. Perhaps the best feature was the set of hammocks strung next to the beach to enjoy the sunset.

Room Tip: Beachfront cottages are worth the extra cost for private views over the beach
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple