“Beautiful scenery, room could be much better”
Review of Rosanna's Pension

Rosanna's Pension
Ranked #24 of 126 Specialty Lodging in El Nido
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I arrived in El Nido on the 19 around 3 pm and as I was passing by the small town, most of the hotels, lodges and Inn had a hand-written sign: Sorry, we are full.

So I a solo traveler and I didn't want to have to stay in any doggy room. So for Php 2,500 a night I had a room for four people, for one... for 2 nights. Does not include breakfast.

The cottage is right on the beach, the sound of the waves... it has a lot of potential but since in El Nido they have shortage of electricity... it runs only from 2pm till 6 am. So the room is so dark I could see anything in the bathroom.
I didn't buy candle because I was there only 2 nights.

This is a OK stay, if you want to be left alone type of experience. The room is very basic..

If I had a choice of smaller, brighter clean room I wouldn't have stayed there. But keep in mind I was a solo traveler. I am sure if you are a group staying there it could be fun and the scenery is really beautiful.

I hope this helps.

Room Tip: Get candles or torches, the rooms are dark and lighting are dim where the electricity is running.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Ka W

Reviewed February 24, 2013

It was raining really hard when we arrived EL Nido. We were very unlucky with our two nights stay because it was stormy and was blackout (no electricity all over the place). So yes we never experienced the electricity of the hotel but still paid 3500 per night. (not their fault but we are just really unlucky I think).. Even it was blackout some places in EL nido got generators though I am not sure if Rosanna got one because I heard that the aircon next door was working.. It was so dark at night that it was so impossible to see anything!!! We used our cellphones to manage to go downstairs and ask for a candle. Yes they provided us candle-"ä 1 inch long candle that can last for 5minutes".. Same night my Mom got bitten by a mice or rat that her finger was just suddenly bleeding after she felt a puncture while she was sleeping!! towels they provided smells like crap.. Never ever we will stay in this place again. You will find more safer, cleaner, and cheaper room than this.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank sara f
Reviewed February 16, 2013

There is not a lot of great midrange hotel options to choose from in El Nido. There are a lot dank, musty Pensions/Guesthouses or high end private places on islands. We stayed in a clean beach front room. The room was quite large and had a balcony overlooking the beach. The staff were shy but very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ted M
Reviewed January 15, 2013

we arrived at el nido around 5pm, and we still didnt have any hotel to stay. luckily, the tour operator suggested that we stayed at Rosanna Cottages. but since we want our vacation to be memorable, we also looked for other resorts with beachfront. In the end, we ended up booking for a room at Rosannas. The room is clean and cool. But the view overlooking el nido is breathtaking. the staff are polite and helpful. when you need anything you just ask them. Also we were able to reserve our return trip to Puerto Princesa at a discounted rate.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank qliq1983
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We arrived at a time where all of El Nido was fully booked (around new years eve). Luckily we booked in advance. Although the room was not cheap (2100 pesos for 3 persons) it was worth it: we got a very big room with an almost equally big balcony with comfy chairs. A decent hot shower, proper AC and little noise even though our room was on the side of the street. The breakfast that came included in the price was simple but okay. Service was fine, but not very friendly. Still: recommendable.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I spent at Rosanna's Cottages 5 nights with my friends recently during our trip to Philippines and we are very satisfied with that place. Cottages are located in 2 buildings in the town center - one at the beach and second behind the street , but distance to the beach is like 30 seconds walk ;). We had cottages in "street" building and they were perfect - big beds and balconies (my room nr 14 was with amazing big balcony overlooking street and palm tree and we used to have breakfasts there for our 8 persons group). Each room has also aircondition and fan, but you have to remember that from 6 am till 2 pm there is not electricity at whole El Nido. Also WI FI is available but is limited to some rooms and corridor at ground level.
For breakfast you have choice for pancake (delicious) with coffee/tea or continental , so eggs, tosts with coffee/tea - everything served in your balcony. Rosanna was very friendly and helpfull helping us with islands hoping and other things.
Generally great stay and place. As the new 2 buildings are under construction in neighbour proximity be aware of works, but it doesn;t disturb our vacations at all ;)

Room Tip: room nr 14 at non beach building - corner room with big windows and huge balcony ;)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Adam S
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Rosanna's are currently constructing a new block right next door and construction starts about 7.30am each morning so don't expect a lie in or a rest if you've had a few drinks the night before. There are (comically, even for SE Asia) two other construction sites with 25 metres and the dive shop next door to the non-beach side rooms is right next door to Palawan divers who start their insanely loud air compressor about 8am which varies in frequency all the time so you can't just let it fade into the background.

At a guess I'd say the on-going construction all around this place will keep going for another month or two at least (stayed there mid-Nov 2012) plus internal fit out which will inevitably involve 7am hammering. It's ok if you're going on a tour and getting up early anyway but don't touch this place if you plan having a few drinks the night before!

Would agree with other reviews that by Philippine standards the staff are fairly glum and serious but the room we stayed in was lovely with a big balcony. Good air con and location is pretty central (which also means tricycles with massive pounding sound systems passing from soon after dawn).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple