“Don't go.”
Review of La Salangane Hotel

La Salangane Hotel
Ranked #67 of 101 El Nido B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This so called hotel it's the worst hotel I've ever been in my life.

First of all, it's pricey even for El nido standards. Then:
1. you can't sleep at night because the rooms are literally on the street. Yo can hear the music from the art cafe, from the bar of la salangane, the motorbikes, filipino families talking all day and night long. The walls are paper thin and the reception just tells you their are sorry and smile.
2. the room is ugly and dirty. The sink and the bathroom were dusty.
3. the bed is ridiculously uncomfortable. The pillows are of balls of cotton and the sheets to short so expect fighting with your couple all night for a piece of them.
4. just don't go... seriously. We changed to Bulskamp Inn and payed one third of the price, and had hot water and air conditioner. SERIOUSLY, don't go.

Room Tip: don't go!!! seriously, don't!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cecilia V

Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stayed in the room they call "suite", which is not a "suite", but a bigger wooden room with separated bath room, and beautifull terrasse overlooking the bay. Weak fan and good air con. Splendid, and quiet at the time I was there. About 4000 pesos per night. Well maintained and looked after. The owners are reliable, discret and can appear to be a little bit cold, not so entertaining. They gave me good advise and where there when needed, can't complain. In the evening, they play cool music, not load, and this is not a problem even if you want to sleep. Anyway they close the bar at 11.00. The service lacks enthousiasm, as almost everywhere in the phillipines, but they do the job though. A staff member, a sewedish block if my memory is ok (or british?) is really cool and fun. It took me some time to adjust to the atmosphere and after my staying still had the feeling that there was something wrong between the owners and I, but can't say what, maybe they are just discret, once again, or it was me being tired. If you travel solo, make sure you meet nice people there, easy, and you will have fun. Overalfeeling, good (3/5).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed there 3 nights, and although at first it seemed great (good food, nice warm welcome) we had several bad experiences. Our rooms were rarely cleaned which is very upsetting - you come back from the beach and have no clean towel to take your shower!!
On day the staff had simply left the hotel (there was literally noone) and they "forgot" to turn on the electricity before leaving. We had to spend the day outside because of how hot and stuffy it was in the room - impossible to rest after a good day's diving.
They proposed us a ridicule discount at the end - not even close to compensating for our disappointment and the fact that we couldn't use the room for the whole day!!
And OMG is the hotel noisy, you basically wake up at 5am with the sound of music.....

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Shabanou
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel and they referred me to the most expensive and least experienced dive instructor in El Nido, just because he is also from France, as the owners of this establishment are. Actually, there is a far superior dive shop directly next door, but because it is run by a British Master Instructor, I was not recommended to go there. Later I spoke to the Instructor at SEA DOG DIVERS - and he turned out to be the person I would much rather have learned to scuba dive with. So...don't always go where you hotel tells you to go....I suspect they get commission for referring people to fellow countrymen.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Zenlee
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We've been at La Salangane for 1 week.
We especially loved the peacefull view of our room in front of the beach, right behind the local village.
The smile and welcome of the French team was perfect and we appreciate their advices about what to do and see all around EL Nido.
The restaurant fed us with reallly nice meals, and the "Rhum Arrangé" speciallity were really efficient to make us enjoy even more our stay ;)

A very good place to stay at El Nido !

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2011

La Salangane is excellent. Food is better than anywhere else we tried in town, and it's in the centre of things without being right next to loud music. There was a bit of construction going on next door, but that;s hardly their fault and will hopefully be finished soon. Real bonus, though, are the people who run it - lovely, smiley and ready to help. Would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank bolton_wanderer01
Reviewed April 11, 2011

In El Nido: by far my fave place for dining & chilling with friends and the guys managing.

I didn't have the chance to lodge there, because it was fully booked by the time I arrived. Still, great location (right on the sea), yummie food, wide home made rhum selection, great staff & ambience. Also free wifi.

Don't miss it out - it's right opposite Art Café.

For lodging: rooms are on the restaurant spot in El Nido village. Cottages are on the opposite end of the bay, right past the village. I'd say, rooms for more ambience; cottage for more privacy.

Whichever the choice of your hotel, try booking in advance in El Nido, as the bay is small and guesthouses get full according to tourists' waves (especially those right on the beach). The turnover is pretty sudden and when it's full, if it's virtually full everywhere....in that case, halas, good luck! :-)

Room Tip: try to get a room in town....more ambience!
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
#63 of 374 in Palawan Island
Joaquinn's Bed & Breakfast
Joaquinn's Bed & Breakfast
#24 of 101 in El Nido

Been to La Salangane Hotel? Share your experiences!