“Great family ambient, tasteful, innovative decor in paradise.”

Island Front Cottages
Ranked #88 of 118 Specialty Lodging in El Nido
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This family operated offers genuine Philippino curtesy. Clean, ingeneous tropical decor, affordable and situated in the quiet more pleasant beach of El Nido. Thank u Oni, Yuli, Ling Ling and family for ur hospitality and kindness. Il b back God willing. God Bless.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for authentic filipino decor and surrounds, with true filipino hospitality, look no further, this is "the place". Oni and Yolly are good examples of filipinos who have started from a dream and turned this little heaven into reality.

I love the feel of the place. It made me feel like Im truly "home" Our cottage was very close to the beach and we could hear the waves lapping on the shore. We have a rocking chair to sit on to watch the sunset. We even have hot water, free wifi, and free coffee and tea on demand.

We're so happy we found this place, we didnt have a booking for El Nido. We just rocked up. I described what Im after and the place was recommended by the tricycle drivers.

If you're after an island paradise with a personalised and caring place to stay. This is the place.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 23, 2012

After more than a year in the Philippines, this is pretty much the first time I have to badly complain about a hotel/resort. First of all, we made the booking directly on their website. When we checked-in, the hotel was empty and although we initially had booked for a 3 pax bedroom, we decided to split in a twin room (with A/C) + a single room (no A/C). We were offered a competitive rate at Php1,300 per night for the extra room and managed to get a discount from Php 2,300 to 2,000 on the other room we decided to keep. It appears we had been upgraded to the seafront room, which was nice. Everything was fine and very laid back until we find out the next morning that the electricity had to be shut down from 06:00am to 06:00pm and that the room were to be cleaned every 3 days unless otherwise instructed by the guest. I complained to the manager in charge and she responded that this is was their policy. I told her the least she and her staff could have done was to inform upon check-in about that. Although she appeared concerned and apologetic, nothing much changed over the following two days. The restaurant was closed despite the fact we were at the end of the low season. The service was very evasive, slow, and soporific. The towels weren't particularly clean. I mean for the price the whole experience was ok. However, on our last day getting ready to check out we found out that Php 8,000 had disappeared from a bag left in the room between 07:30pm and 09:30pm the day before. Someone had managed to take just the cash and nothing else. We did express our disappointment to the owner and explained that (1) there was little/no security on site, (2) all room keys are left unattended most of the night at the reception, (3) there is no safety box in the room and (4) the room locks can be easily opened from outside with a piece of soft plastic such as the one on the room key holder (I demonstrated it live). The police came and completely dismissed the options of an inside or outside job. The owner and his manager told us we were making up the story to avoid paying, which I found extremely insulting. The police managed to confirm the feeling. On top of that, there is literally no ATM available in El Nido. The only option is to use a credit card at a gas station but a passport is required and we had left them in our place in Puerto Princesa to avoid having them stolen, pretty much like the money. After a couple of hours negotiating, we were released and had to arrange a wire transfer from PP. Arrived back there, I found out that not only this hotel but El Nido is pretty much prone to theft in all kinds. A local friend who rents bike showed me a police report from El Nido about a theft case that happened a few days before. All in one, the police simply told us that "people in El Nido aren't thieves". I won't make generalities but unfortunately there are thieves there, whoever they are and this specific hotel is at risk. Be aware.
In spite the negative feeling, the place is kind of nice for the view it offers on the bay but that's it. There are other hotels/resorts down there and they are surely safer.
The sleep quality is poor as they are dogs barking on the beach and rooster crowing as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank captainolive
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I am writing this review really,really late because we stayed here in Janruary 2009.I had to click a box, so I selected 2011 just to get this posted.

Anyways....

We took a long boat ride fro Coron and arrived in the main town of El Nido only to find out that the virtually the whole town was almost completley booked.So if you are going to El Nido in Dec/Jan be sure to book a reservation.

Some of the locals suggested we hop on a taxi for a short 10-15 minute trip to another ocean front namely Island Front Cottages. Upon our arrival there, we found out that they were also fully booked, except for a room right beside the owners residence, seprated by a thin bamboo wall, offering us almost no privacy. Given the situation, we were still very greatful for the room we got.

The cottages there are built with bamboo and in the traditional native style.Cold showers and a small fan was all that was available, but hey for $20 a night we weren't complaining. The surrounding beach and garden area, yard etc were very beautiful and serene, tastfully created by the owner.

Anyways, here's the INCREDIBLE deal we got for about $ 50-60 daily....simply incredible!!!

Our aformentioned simple bamboo room with a nice little(eating area) balconey.The ambience of a tastefully decroated property and gorgeous beach front.This beach offers much more serenity to the very busy beach in El Nido.

Free breakfast
A daily 6 hour PRIVATE romantic boat tour with just my wife,I and two young, friendly Filipino guys.

Free lunch on some secluded island....

A barbqued seafood or fish dinner complete with rice veggies and the most awesome fresh friut including papaya, mangoes or pinappple absolutley the best fruits I've ever tasted......fantastic meal!!!!

We were taken to beautiful lagoons with spectacular coral, romantic and simply breathtaking and perfect, as we were on our honeymoon.

I've been to some nice beaches in Thailand, Malaysia and Mexico, but nothing, nothing matches the white sand beauty of what I saw in the Philipinnes.

We were taken to island after island of tropical paradise on beautiful white sand beaches for four days straight experiencing one of the most beautiful areas in the world.

The snorkeling we encountered was magnificent....a dozen different colors and fish swimming everywhere. All other places I've snorkeled since(Thailand included) have been dissapointing!

In closing:

This review is a little late and things may have changed a little,but I doubt it. The owner there is a super friendly, accomodating man so if he is still in charge, I'm sure it's still good.

I just feel for the hospitality he afforded us, the least I could do is give him a deserved, great reveiw.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KevandJho
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed there because my parents found the bayan to cramped and congested. We found the place relaxing, ambience was great, and the decorations very artsy. They had these hammocks, which was due to lack of time, I wasn't able to enjoy. Anyway, the place was still great. The staff was very accomodating. They arranged tours for us which was cheap (2000 for boat-hopping? But then again there were 4 people of us, and there was heavy rain, so we only did it for 4 hours. Still, we were satisfied.) They also had coffee and water all day, and if you have bread, they also have jams there.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank emem83
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We travelled here by Van from Peurto Princessa, the trip takes 5+ hrs and some vans are much better than others, the going rate is 500-600pesos per person. We were dropped off here on the way in in early sept 2011 and the place was empty.We got the best room for 2200 pesos/night and had a great stay. The food is good, and the atmosphere is laid back. They organised Island Hopping and gave us good advice on things to do.
We then moved down a few doors to Greenview resort which we thought was even better value for money and better organised although both were great.

Room Tip: This is a very dense development try to get a seafront room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John L
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Being in Island Front was like living in the garden,the inside is full of flowers, trees and vegetation, you will certainly like it. The staff is extremely friendly and helping, breakfast served very good as well. The hotel is located right on the beach, less than 10 min by tricycle from El Nido center.

Room Tip: Room #14 is very sunny.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 mi away
Caalan Beach Resort
Caalan Beach Resort
#3 of 118 in El Nido

Been to Island Front Cottages? Share your experiences!