Las Cabanas Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 118 Specialty Lodging in El Nido
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Me and my wife stayed 5 days at this resort between 25Mar-29Mar. We found this resort to be way too expensive comparing to local standards and prices. Overall we were not positively impressed.

THE GOOD
1) The rooms are quite spacious and were kept clean, no A/C but being next to the sea the breeze was enough to keep the air fresh. Our room had a nice view towards the sea and you can enjoy the view by sitting in the cottage lodge.
2) The sunset is splendid and is one of the best viewpoints, there are other tourists coming only for that
3) The owner’s wife (Bhing) helped us securing the entrance to the Underground River although it was the busy Easter period. However the staff overall is ok, but we expected more, especially with the service.

THE BAD
1) No shuttle service offered to/from the airport or other arrival points (we arrived by boat from Coron). You need to take a tricycle 150PHP and from the point it stops you need to arrange with the resort staff to come to pick you and your luggage for another 15min walk on the beach to reach the resort.
2) Prices are way too high for accommodation when we compared to other resorts in town. No breakfast is included, no complementary water available and the prices for any product is 3-4 times higher than what you can find in town (20-30 min away), they are really taking advantage of the fact that you are somehow far from the main town. This is the reason why we never ate there.
3) Prices for the island hopping activities are 2 x higher than what you can find in town. We found this a clear rip-off as the activities are the same; there are three main distinct tours that all agencies organize in the same way.
4) The location is outside El Nido, you might think that this is good being a quiet place, however, you don’t go to El Nido to relax, you go to visit and do island hopping / snorkeling / diving, therefore you are dependent of being close to major attraction points, port, center, etc. You need to add 2 x 150PHP each day to go in town and come back.

DO NOT FORGET
1) To withdraw enough PHP! Credit cards are not common in El Nido, there are only a handful of restaurants that accept CC payment.
2) To arrange before your arrival with the resort to come and pick you up from the point the tricycle leaves you
3) Sunlotion, your mask and fins and a lot of fun :)

Room Tip: Ask for a beachfront cottage, not sure if all have the same nice view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alexandru S

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I called the owner 3 days before our arrival to inform that we will be there late and need to be assisted since I read that the resort is far. He told me to call him back even if it's supposed to be his job to reconfirm. Anyway, on the day of our arrival , I tried to call him to let him know that we will be early and needed to be assisted but he didn't pick up his fone so I begun to worry and texted him for 3x and yet didn't receive any response. In short, we walked all the way down to his resort and passed the UPHILL ROUGH LITTLE STREET ( I know it was far but i didn't expect to pass the uphill rough..tourist should consider ! ) until the flat sand surface for approximately 1.5km. With all the luggages whether nicely wheeled was indeed useless coz we can't drag and roll them in the sand so to start a vacation is already a nightmare. We were lucky not to have kids. We were with my auntie ( 71 yrs old ) and uncle (74 yrs old) who are fit so imagine if not !?
When we saw the owner who seems like he was waiting in the garden felt like a hero to welcome us. Again, we were supposed to arrive late but the near fact that he was in the garden would only mean that he received all my text. That's why I got really mad. He pretended that he didn't receive anything at all.... his such a good actor. By the way, I kept all the text messages.

We stayed for 3N/4D HAD 2 ROOMS and paid for U$107/ngt ,NO BREAKFAST, NO SOAP AND NO SHAMPOO for 4days of stays. I forgot to beg I guess that's my fault.

The small stretch resort has a neighboring hotel that is well placed nearby the main uphill road who offers more than a half rate of what we paid for , with breakfast , service oriented staff and beachfront which is too late to discover but then charge to my experienced.

I was given a room which has a nice view but it is not all about the room. What we need is what we deserve for the price and SINCERITY. Follow - up from the part of the owner or staff that everything will be handled well since your resort is in the end of the island.

We just felt cheated.I feel sorry for Dan ( the owner ) , I am sorry but the damage has been DAN ( I mean done !). It happens for a reason.

Room Tip: quiet at night and size of room is big enough.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank ellen c
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed with my boyfriend there in February. The hotel itself is located in a very nice area, a bit far from El Nido town though, but it's ideal for people, who just want to have a couple of relaxing days. It was a bit disappointing, that the bedsheets were quite dirty, although the price we paid was very high. Due to some issues we had to rearrange our intinerary and arrive in El Nido a day before as it was planned, so we called the hotel and asked if it's possible and we would leave a day before as well. The person, who answered in the phone was very nice and said that it's no problem they could give us a cheaper room which is not at the beachfront and that there would be no extra costs and he would organise a pick up from the bus station to the hotel too. When we arrived in El Nido, it wasn't like as we expected. We had to call the hotel, because noone was there to take us from the bus station and the owner told us there is no pick up, take a tricycle. As soon as we arrived at the hotel (and that was the bigges disappointment), he said that we have to pay extra 60 euros, because we arrived a day before and it's the high season and our issues are not his problem he has to run a business here. I agreed with what he was saying, tourism is a very tough business, but it would have been more honest from if we could have said that the day before, when we still had the chance to reconsider our plans. Now we were in the middle of nowhere, all hotels were booked out so we had no chance but take his offer. That was exactly his plan to earn some extra cash, which I find extremely dishonest and cheap. This attitude didn't change for the rest of oour stay. He were talking in such an unpolite and aggressive tone, that a person should never do, who works in service. Although the hotel has a beatiful location and the rooms (despite the dirty bedsheets) are nice, this whole experience made us very difficult to enjoy our stay at the hotel, so we were trying to spend there as little time as possible. El Nido is one of the most beautiful places in the world but people should choose another hotel, there are lot of options, which are cheaper and as good quality, if not even better and probably with nicer staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank iistvan86
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

The Resort is located around 3 km away from the town center in a beautiful area. The beach is just wonderful and the surrounding views are breathtaking. it is a bit difficult to acess the resort because it doesn't have a direct access from the main road, so make sure to bring a flashlight to walk around at night as it turns really dark. If you happen to arrive during the night, make sure to have someone to guide to the resort. We stayed in cottage n.6 and it is comfortable enough to accomodate 3 persons and the room was allways cleaned during our stay. There is no AC but there is a fan. The cottage is very simple, built with traditional materials with a nice veranda.
The staff is really helpful and they can arrange island hopping tours which are a must in El Nido. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank NunoAssis
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I should have taken heed to the bad experiences some people have had with the owners of this place. I thought it would be ok since there were an overwhelming number of positive reviews, but unfortunately we ourselves had a clash with the owner, a pretty bad one that still makes me angry when I think about how shamelessly entrapped and exploited we were.

It all began when I called the Las Cabanas to enquire if it was possible to move our booking of 3 nights in the beach front cottage one day earlier, so that we arrive and leave a day earlier than planned. The person who answered was very nice and said that they could do it for me, but my first night will have to be spent in a villa at the back which is worth less than the beach-front villa, but the rebooking could be done at no cost. I thanked the man and said I will call back in a few minutes to confirm whether I want to go ahead with this. I rechecked with my hotel in Puerto Princesa, and gave them the go ahead to rebook, and immediately after I called Las Cabanas and also gave the thumbs up. The guy then asked me to let them know what time I expect to arrive so that they could pick us up from the bus terminal. I did this again via a third phone call after I confirmed the time I will be taking the RORO bus from Puerto Princesa to El Nido. I also emailed the place to leave my mobile number in case the bus is very late or other problems arise.

Once we arrived in the bus terminal from our 6 hr journey, the pick up we were expecting was not there. After patiently waiting for quite awhile, I got a little worried because I was out of phone credit and didn’t know if I could even get in touch with them because mobile phone reception is not reliable in El Nido. Luckily after walking through some shops I found a place where I could buy more phone credit and was able to reach them.

When I reached them a non-filipino voice answered who I assumed was the owner, who gave me instructions to catch a tricycle to a certain junction where I will be picked up. So we did this and after a few minutes there were some people walking through a dirt path who led us to the accomodation. The dirt path eventually led to a beautiful beach where we were greeted by the owner.

The owner basically said that we had to pay for the accommodation that night (3000 pesos) and would not acknowledge the arrangement that his staff made the day before. The owner was quite dismissive and we barely had a chance to argue before he became quite aggressive and rude, telling us that we can either pay for the room or go somewhere else but good luck if we do because El Nido is fully booked and we won't find any other place.

This guy really had us by the balls. All this time before we took the long bus ride to the remote location of his accomodation, he could have contacted us and told us that what his staff said is a mistake. But he waited until we were there with our heavy backpacks in that remote beach before making this ultimatum. Of course we had no choice but to go along.

The best I could think of on the spot was to plead that if he could refund the 3000 pesos if he did find a guest for the final night that we cancelled. He agreed to this, but made a long speech about how grateful we should be that he is doing this for us. This really ruined an otherwise beautiful paradise and we probably would have left if we hadn't already paid the full amount. No place despite how beautiful it looks is worth it if you don't feel comfortable there and treated like this.

What is also funny is that his wife mentioned that the cottages were fully booked the next few days and they have had to say no to many people begging for accomodation. I also asked another staff member directly if someone has taken our room for the final night that we cancelled and the guy said yes. So when we checked out I was surprised when the owner said that we had to pay the 3000 and I explained that his staff said that the room is taken and I asked again when we checked out and I was told the same thing. He got quickly agitated just like in our first encounter and ranted about how he is the owner and he is the one who knows if a room is not free or not and it is not free and that we had to pay. After a long rant, he surprisingly said let's make it 2000 pesos which we agreed to (since we didn't have much of a choice anyway) which he just took in his hand and we walked off.

This guy made have made a quick buck from us, but I don't know how he thinks he can get away with such dishonesty and exploitation without other people hearing about it. Surely getting publicly shamed like this is not worth 2000 pesos.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
21  Thank pmdalvarez
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed with Dan over Christmas and New Year - and had a wonderful time in that lush paradise. Very well managed, no probs at all with being gay, nice food and very flexible to arrange excursions to the magnificent islands of Bacuit. Boats in very good condition. Sweet beach bar at the sunset spot. On our optinion it is the ONLY place around El Nido thats worth going (i.e. if you look for relaxation, not party). Thanks to all the team: Stephan & Christophe.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am sat at work here in Sydney remembering what a fantastic time my wife and i had at Las Cabanas a few years ago...Dan and his wife were extremely hospitable,superb food and to be honest had a much better time than we did at the more exclusive El Nido Miniloc.I was sorry to see some negative reports..... but hand on my heart a great spot..will definately be back one day....

cheers