“Best value for money! No regrets!”
Review of Moana Hotel

Moana Hotel
Ranked #78 of 87 Hotels in Palawan Island
Philippines
“Best value for money! No regrets!”
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Affordable! for just 1,150 per night you will be able to avail of a spacious air conditioned room with cable tv, hot and cold shower and a roundtrip airport transfers. One good thing is that it has its own swimming pool because in Puerto Princesa you can rarely find a budget hotel with a swimming pool. Another is its location. its 3mins away from the airport, and you can also find fine restaurants and bars nearby. Its very accessible and If you want to go to the market, baywalk, or if you want to go city tour, you can just ride a tricycle or a multicab just like we did. We just ask details from the local people there. PPS people are nice friendly and very discipline. Dont dare throw a single trash coz they might penalized you Php200 as 1st offense. Some of the areas in PPS are non smoking as well.

The hotel also offers city tour, underground river tour, and honda bay island hopping. Ms. Maricon is really a smart tour guide. she explains everything and we were able to go to all of the islands despite of having lack of time coz our flight is scheduled 1640h but we still made it. We really enjoyed snorkeling at Snake Island, pandan island, and pambato reef with the assistance of Jerome the boatman. Thanks to him coz we were able to snorkel even in the deepest part of the sea. so if your planning to go to Palawan, make sure that you include honda bay island hopping in your itinerary. Underground River is great as well but going there is quite hard coz you have to travel 2hrs by land and 30 mins by sea. the waves going there are not friendly as well at that time so make sure you wear your lifejacket properly. but despite of that, going to underground river was worth it.

The hotel staff is friendly and very accommodating especially Ms. Nerizza the front desk/reservation. She quickly responded to all of my emails and have it confirmed without any reservation fee. She even pick us up at the airport on time.

Overall, our stay at Moana hotel is OK. not a five star, but its cleanliness and service is competitive.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank agenttraveler

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Moana Hotel is not your ordinary Hotel. It's very affordable! It may not be your 4 to 7 stars Hotel. But guaranteed that the service and the friendliness of the crew is awesome! We may not get a chance to stay long. We actually just stayed for 3 nights and 4 days. Me and my friends pick Moana to just really stay in to sleep and to rest. We get up every morning and like explore Puerto Princesa the whole day and go back to the Hotel after dinner to just take a shower, go to sleep and rest. But on our last night we decided to swim and since it's beside the bar we get drunk and have a taste of the famous "TAMILOK" (woodworm) at the same time. (the taste was good but the thought of eating a worm is horrible!) We really felt at home. It feels like we are in our own home. We're doing all the (stupid) things we want to do at the bar we videos and pictures ourselves while eating Tamilok and act like we own the Place. Nobody gives a damn! One good deal is they have a shower heater. December month is starting to get cold particularly in provinces, whether you just take a shower in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.. having a shower heater would be a big help! So i definitely recommend Moana Hotel for those especially who have a tight budget and will just pick a hotel just for stay in to rest. It's a great place!

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank CHeC2
Manila
Reviewed December 3, 2009

My whole family stayed at Moana Hotel during the Palarong Pambansa 2008 where my daughter competed. It was a hassle free booking experience. Ms. Che Madsan was very accommodating. They gave us a family room. It was quite basic . Aircon was working, bathroom was very small and you have to wait for 20 minutes to get hot water. Water pressure is not so good either. We were picked up by their beautiful female staff complete with get-up but the vehicle we rode was dirty and looks like it has not been cleaned for weeks. Their lobby though was quite refreshing and the pool although small looks inviting.Their food is quite expensive and tastes bland. I suggest you try to eat at restaurants since it is cheaper and more tasty- Chicken Inato, Balinsasayaw and Kinabuchi to name a few. The owner, a foreigner, is quite snobbish and does not even greet the hotel guests...I suggest he should learn from his Filipino staff. All he does is just sit in front of his hotel and drinks. The hotel was full at that time since most parents were also there to accompany their children athletes. Beware, there are thieves roaming the area...we borrowed a jeep from my daughter's friend and we parked it on a street in front of the hotel. The next day, as we were about to go to the competition venue, we found out that the jeep's battery was stolen. We asked permission from the owner if we could park it inside the hotel's fenced compound but we were not allowed even though they have space to park one vehicle. When we reported the incident, the owner just said nothing and ignore us. We had to buy new batteries at a local battery shop. The friendliness and smiles of the Filipino staff makes up for the snobbish and bad attitude of the foreign male owner. Their staff also made arrangements fast and immediate when we wanted to go to the Underground River. One advice..he should take lessons on true hospitality from his staff since they are involve in the Tourism Industry. With this, I will still come back to Moana but I will not anymore borrow a vehicle from my daughter's friend coz next time , the whole vehicle might disappear.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Taekwondo_Family05

Travelers are raving about these Palawan Island hotels

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Whenever I travel, I really spare time to research and call the hotels I am eyeing to have my stay. Apparently, for Moana Hotel Puerto Princesa Palawan, I rarely find a (good) review. That's why when I had my stay there (June 17 to 21, 2009), I told myself that the first thing that I have to do when I go back to Manila is to share my experience to other travellers as well so they could have an unbiased background of what Moana Hotel, Puerto Princesa is.

Location: Moana Hotel is just 100 mtrs. away from the Airport of Palawan. I must admit that our primary worry back then is whether we could have a sound sleep for our entire stay knowing that the hotel is just a walk away from the airport. However based from my experience, we weren't able to hear any sound of an airplane taking off since we normally leave the hotel by 7 am in the morning and goes back around 3 pm after we're through with our tours (Note that the room provided to us is an airconditioned room, this may not apply if you have chosen to stay at their fan room). Thus, as for this matter, there is really nothing to worry about. Rest assured that as far as the taking off sound is concerned, this is not going to affect your sleep at all cost. =)

Considering also that Moana Hotel is near the airport, you have the advantage of enjoying the best restaurants in Puerto Princesa City. People in Puerto Princesa (the tour guide, hotel receptionist, tricycle drivers) normally recommend Kalui. However, I would say that it is not a value for money restaurant considering that other restaurants nearby also stand out. For a meal costing 1,500 pesos, I suppose that we only had at most 3 dishes, as oppose to other restaurants that we tried - Kinabuch and something with "Palayok" in its name (Sorry, I have tried scanning my camera just right now but I was not able to capture the name of the restaurant in our pictures), whereby we had the luxury of enjoying at least 6 meals with a lump full of serving.

The hotel is also located at the center of the city thus everything is almost made on reach to us travellers.

Ammenities: One of the criteria which made us ending up to stay in Moana Hotel is their swimming pool. In Puerto Princesa City, you will rarely find a hotel with a Swimming Pool. One of the good hotels located in PPC with prevalent marketing in the internet is the Puerto Pension. We almost ended up staying there considering that we find the one-night cost reasonable and the hotel and room pictures published in their website are attractive. However, we got disappointed that this hotel does not have a swimming pool. This all made the difference since we are all looking for a "value for money hotel". With a cost of PHP1,000 per night, you will enjoy the ammenities of having a fully-airconditioned room with fan as well (yup, two in one - aircondition and fan in the same room), private comfort /bathroom, television, round-trip airport transfers and a 24/7 swimming pool.

Food: Sad to say, with the PHP1,000 per night, breakfast is not included in the cost (Sayang!). The hotel receptionist discourages us to buy food in their restaurant considering that the cost on average plays around at PHP 200 to PHP 280 per breakfast or per meal. Apparently, I would say that this is expensive relative to the other restaurants that we've tried. However, to be fair with them I would say that their food is really delicious! =) I really enjoyed their lasagna! Being a pasta-lover, I have really appreciated the taste of their food (in tagalog, I would describe it as "malasa"). If you stayed in Makati or have your work there (as for my case), may be you will find the cost of their food almost reasonable since it also approximates the cost of the food we normally buy in Makati.

People/Attendants: Well, I would say that they are really accommodating and they made our stay very homey! How would I forget someone with the same name as my sister - Nerissa. Nerissa, my primary contact in Moana Hotel, have personally fetched us from the airport despite that she is currently off during the time we have arrived in Puerto Princesa. She also accepted our reservation via fone without any reservation fee (we normally get in touch with her once in a while to let them know of our sincerity with the reservation). They also have a 24/7 restaurant whereby you could ask them to prepare your breakfast in time before you go with your tour. However, there was this one incident where we were off to go to Hunda Bay (yes, its Hunda, not Honda as our tour guide corrected us) and since our travel is on tour we have to be ready by 7 AM to 7:30 AM for pick up. This further mean that the breakfast should have at least been prepared by 6 AM. We have advised them early on and they concurred with our request. On that day, I woke up at 5:45 AM and noted that the cook is still asleep. Thus, our food have just been prepared by roughly 6:20 AM to 6:30 AM. Good thing we weren't really mean guest, otherwise, we may have freaked out with this since if your travelling on tour, everything is on really rush. Well at least we still made it with the tour in time. =)

On the last day of our stay with Moana Hotel, we were also scheduled to go to a half-day City Tour. Our flight then going back to Manila is at 4:50 PM. We almost had not made it on time since we left the hotel at 4:10 PM (as you see, we only had provided for a 40 minute travel and boarding time allowance). However, the proximity of the hotel (roughly a 2 to 3 minutes drive from the airport) and a fast driver (the owner himself - a foreigner have drove the van for us) have made us all possible to make it on time. Whew!

Overall, my stay in Puerto Princesa have been very memorable. I will never forget my experience of being in a very clean city! For my entire tour and short stay, I have not seen even a bubble gum sticking in the ground, candy wrappers rolling around the sidewalks, spit loitering in the ground, and a lump of garbage in an open post (in the islands where we had our island hopping or even in the public market-yes even their public market is really clean and trash free!). I thought it is almost hopeless to have a clean place here in the Philippines. But seeing Puerto Princesa made me hope that there is still something great out there for us Filipinos. Hope we could likewise adopt their sanitary technology and methodology, and even their discipline here in Manila. =)

See you again Puerto Princesa! =) Got to work now...

MUV 06/22/09