“one of the best places in puerto galera” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Canada
“one of the best places in puerto galera”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2009

I have been to Puerto Galera lots of times and usually stayed at White Beach (I've also stayed at Coco Beach before). This time, we opted for a more secluded resort and so chose Sunset at Aninuan. the resort does not disappoint in terms of location - it is ideal as it is sort of secluded (a rock formation separates it from white beach) and so is very quiet. Our group felt like we had our very own private resort the whole time we were there! It is, however, very close to white beach, just a few minutes tricycle ride (very costly thoughh, P100 per ride) or the staff can also arrange transport using the resort's own jeepney or you canopt to walk (15-20 minutes).
They have a lot of water activities (at no added cost) - like kayaks, paddleboat, snorkeling gears. There is a huge coral very near the resort where people can go snorkeling. The resort next door offers banana boat rides.
The staff is wonderful - from the bar attendants to Les, the manager. They made us feel welcome and special from the time we arrived to the time we left . There was always someone ready to help/assist us in our needs.
The food was a bit of a letdown as it was pricey (especially for a group of 16) and not very appetizing I must say.
All in all, my experience with this resort was very good. Just make sure you choose the rooms in the new wing/building. They are much more expensive but well worth it (we stayed in one of the old rooms on our first night but moved to one of the new ones the next day).
If you're planning on going to Puerto Galera, I'd highly recommend this place.

2 Thank asdphil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
manila
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2009

It was my first time to go to Puerto Galera and we decided to book at 'Sunset..' on the strength of it's reviews here at Tripadvisor. For the better part, our stay at this resort was great. But having time to think back on our experience, I'd say that there was really nothing that special about it save for the service that we received from the resort's attentive staff.

Well, several reasons sold me to the idea of booking here. The first was the reasonable rates they offered for a family room. But getting to the resort, you see the reason why it was priced competitively- it is housed in an older building of the resort, one you don't see pictured in their website. Plus, when you factor in the 10% service charge, the 12% gov't. taxes and the 5% surcharge for using your credit card, the 'reasonable' rate bloats considerably (a number of mid-level Philippine resorts publish net rates inclusive of taxes and gratuities). But this really isn't much of a concern as you still get a clean, well appointed room (especially liked the mini safe- a rarity in mid-level resorts). Besides, the beach beckons and this is THE reason why you've come here in the first place, right?

And the beach doesn't disappoint, especially when it's been three years since you've tasted salt water lapping down your back. The water is kid safe, having gentle waves and a bottom that doesn't drop suddenly near the coastline. Ideal to take advantage of the array of water vessels (canoes, pedal raft) you can use for free. Or just lounge in the sand and make sand castles as my kids did.

The food though was a let down if you ask me. Aside from it being mediocre ( I had a burger and tasted their version of a Philippine sour broth soup and both were below standard; sorry guys at Aninuan), they were resort-expensive. An alternative would be to eat at the resort next door where the food, though equally mediocre, is more reasonably priced.

But the saving grace for me was the service. From the driver that picks you up at your ferry drop off spot, to the servers that attend to you with a smile, to the guy that carries all the water vehicles (I tried carrying one and it was heavy) from it's storage to the beach, to the manager who looks after your needs, you feel right at home during your stay with them. And that in itself is reason enough to recommend this resort to holiday seekers wishing to experience a quiet vacation in Puerto Galera.

Let me just add that for Manila-based non-divers like I who come for just surf and sand, I don't see why one would opt to go all the way to Puerto Galera when you can have the same experience in Batangas without having to ride a ferry across the bay (which could get rough for small outrigger ferries servicing the Puerto Gallera route). The beach in Aninuan, good as it is, really isn't much different/ better than what could be had in some Batangas beaches. Just my opinion.

4 Thank i_dr
viking2222
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2009

We stayed at Sunset for 3 night/4 days in March and had a fantastic stay. I had been to Puerto Galera for diving several times before and was a little reluctant to bring my wife and 2 small kids to such a rowdy place, but could not get onwards flights to Borocay or Cebu. This vacation surprisingly turned into one of the best family vacations we have had, and much of the honor would go to the hotel and the spot it was in/beach it was on.

Basically Puerto Galera is very large, and the Aninuan Beach is one of many beaches and quiet and secluded. It is still possible to walk over to White Beach" (15-20 mins) for dinner or shopping which we did, as at Aninuan Beach there were no shops, something you quickly appreciate. The food at the Sunset was good but limited and a little pricey and anyway White Beach was hopping and rather popular with locals so there was plenty of places to eat there, including a good Italian pizza place as one of the first places. Right behind the Sunset there is a road and a motorcycle taxi stand so you can get around that way also if so desired or you are going a little further.

At Sunset the rooms where very good, nice, white, clean, well designed beds, aircon, fans, good view and mosquito nets so you could sleep with windows open and the sea about 15 meters away. They will probably have to repaint often to keep the "new white look" standard up but overall just very nicely laid out. We had also minibar, balcony, safe, tv. The resort is set more or less directly on the beach and the views both from the rooms and from the eating and resting areas were stunning. We had as it was only three nights gone for for their best rooms but I did look around and both their new and old building rooms looked good, the older rooms did not have clear glass windows for the seaview, and had wooden panels all over - i did prefer the white painted non-wood place room we had, with proper windows, but if I was staying for more than a week would have saved money and gone for one of the older rooms.

There was a nice little bar, ample relaxed and dinner seating and sunbeds - my take would be that if all the approx 20 rooms where full you would still get your own good spot no problem. The beach was surprisingly good - I had a 4 and 6 year old with me and we played in the sea which one day was a little rough and "wiped out" one of the kids - BUT there was a little freshwater stream next to the hotel where a tiny lake had been formed and the kids were in and out of that one the whole time. There was otherwise fussball and kid beach toys available for free.

The beach was surprisingly good although a little rocky some places but we soon discovered, as we had brought masks and snorkels for all, that one of the most impressive features was the snorkeling. I had no high expectations to this - having in Puerto Galera earlier focused on technical diving and big fish, but there was plenty to see, there was a little reef about 50 meters from land and with my 6 year old in tow we swam out and lo-and-behold ran into a sea turtle, something I had only seen 1-2 times during my 150+ dives across the Philippines. There was otherwise plenty of colorful fish (including a moray eel) and corals and we were mostly alone - this was surprising as the very crowded White Beach was maybe only 1-2 km away.

The resort had several good quality open sea kayaks (1, 2 and 3 seats) and decent life west and this was provided free and with a very nice attitude.

The staff was friendly and provided excellent service and advise. I had not been to the Philippines for years but felt overall that the prices were cheap compared to what I remember and Thailand and especially Hainan except for the accommodation which was a little over what I would expect, but there was no fuss about us arriving very early in the morning and checking out late, so overall it was good value and I would come back there with my family rather fly onwards to Bororcay or Cebu. The drive down from Manila was expensive and boring on poor roads, but since our flight landed 4.30 am we much appreciated being picked up at the airport and taken direct to the ferry which put us straight on the beach and we were there before 9 in the morning, with most of the time wasted waiting for the "ferry" (basically a large outrigger) to become full. The ferry terminal was a little bit chaotic so hold on to your bags and be prepared to fork over small bills for several fees, the trip over was scenic but the sea was pretty rough and one of my kids got seasick, back again it was calm so I guess it varies.

There seemed to be some other small resorts under construction at Aninuan, but the Sunset had their operations down very nicely, and apart from a little bit of a squalid neighbor walking in it was a fantastic secluded and well-run beautiful little spot. I would recommend it highly to people with kids, couples looking for a nice fairly romantic spot without to much hassle, seniors and just anyone needing to relax.

4 Thank viking2222
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

I came here over the New Year's holiday with two friends and we ended up being really glad we stayed at sunset! Sabang is just plain seedy and gross (don't stay there) and White Beach is a fun place to hang out and get some bbq, but doesn't really have great lodging options. Sunset is close to White Beach (you can walk there the long way on a paved road, or take a hike across a bunch of rocks along the beach ... kind of treacherous) but it's also far anough away to be really quite and peaceful. It's on it's own beach, and the best thing about Sunset is that everything is available for use, whether it be snorkels or a kayak. Lexi the manager is very friendly and greets the guests over breakfast, and the staff is also kind and friendly. You can book whatever kind of tour or activity from there, and they also give recommendations on local eateries to try (for example, there's a great Italian/pizza place a 20 minute walk in the other direction from White Beach). The place does feel a bit "campy" especially as our room was in the old building, so don't be expecting a resort please. But it's very nice, and I'd rather stay at a place like this than a fancy hotel anyway.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa C
philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

I have been to Puerto Galera a million times and have always settle for White Beach thinking that it's the best that the galera strip could offer. I still could not believe the switch of mood and scenery considering that it's only separated by some rock formation.

We were skeptical at first because a lot of resorts looks better on their websites...but our jaws dropped when we saw the place. We hope they would maintain this kind of set up.

The resort is awesome. Service is great (holler to aiza). And the view is spectacular. If you want to feel like you own the world...come here! My friends and I are now calling this place "our secret paradise".

I can't wait to bring all my loved ones here! I suggest you catch a glimpse of the Sunset at Aninuan too...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank princessofmanila
Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

I went there for my new years party.
I came alone and left with a new "family".
very nice place and nice people. My favourite drink at the cosy bar was the mango-shake with rum.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank xmaddin
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

Living in manila, Sunset at Aninuan is the perfect escape. I myself have been several times in the last two years and left more than satisfied every time.

The rooms are spacious and very clean. The beds are very comfortable (which is not always the case in manila) and i liked that the "beach feel" was brought into the room.

The resort's location is both relaxing and quite private unlike white beach. There are enough deck chairs for every guest and there are also hammocks if you would like to have a lie down.

I have to admit that especially loved the service and the bar! i have never had such great treatment at a resort before and the owner is always there to make sure that you are having a good time. The food is a little pricey but is worth it. they have something for everybody on the menu and accommodate to your child's fussy appetite.

i cant wait to go back!

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — its next to tamaraw
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank z_dubai