“The Great Sunset”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Manila, Quezon City
“The Great Sunset”
Reviewed November 26, 2008

Me and my boyfriend went there last August where it was rainy here in Manila just to have a quick vacation over the weekend. We loved everything that is there... The friendly staff, the comfy bed, the drinks at the bar and the food... even if what you wanted wasn't in the menu, you can ask them to cook it and that was one of the highlights of our trip for we both are pescatarians. Of course, the promised breathtaking sunset is there which was magnificent. We stayed there for two nights and we wanted to stay longer if not for our work. We would definitely tell our friends of our satisfying trip.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff.
  • Disliked — The trip was quite long.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank EightEightEight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
toronto
Reviewed November 19, 2008

My husband and I, Stayed at Sunset aninuan Beach resort-Puerto Galera(Philippines) for a 10days honeymoon. It was a long way trip for us. Visiting the resort upon our arrival filled our hearts with excitement & wiped up our long trip tireness.

It was late in the afternoon when we reached the resort, it was a perfect time for us then..for the the very first time we were amazed with the beautiful SUNSET and a Splendid view of the beach. The place was beautiful as we expected...resort is well kept,spotless and very clean.

finally, we saw our room...we were delighted, it was a very romantic and intimate! with heavenly bed full of flowers and a bottled of chilled champagne. The room is so lovely and well design. "We love it so much".

The staff of the resort are very hospitable and always provided with the best service, food was good and the place was excellent.

The owner gave us a honeymooner's gift, she gave us a free banca trip with picnic basket, in one of the secluded beach where there's nobody. the staff prepared us a very romantic table for dinner..it was really nice we put our bare feet in the water when it was low tide, under million of stars. They really spoiled us and it can only be in ASIA.

We had a fabulous honeymoon! we will surely come back for our next honeymoon...

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank angelica2_2_2
Belgium
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We visited the Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort over Easter with a group of 12, of which 4 are children. We rented a private Banca which picked us up at the "Leah beach' in Batangas, and nearly an hour later we were welcomed at the resort by the owner/manager and her staff. After checking in our rooms the kids couldn't wait to get into the water.

The beach is just steps away from the room, and the water is crystal clear. The kids played most of the time on the shoreline, and on the small creek with fresh water which runs past the resort into sea. The sunset is truly spectacular. Besides swimming and relaxing on the beach we did a hiking tour to the waterfall, rented a boat to do some snorkeling and lunch on coral beach (30 min boat ride), we also did some pedalling (pedal boat) and canoeing. We stayed for 3 nights and although there are other dining options available nearby, we had all meals in the excellent restaurant of the resort.

We all loved the stay and desperately want to return there again next year.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank DutchdiverinBelgium
Singapore
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We booked a mini-getaway with the boys (ages 5 & 10) at Sunset and had a great time despite the rainy season. The funky fussball, outdoor table tennis (yes, this can be more fun under the rain) and DVD movies kept the kids occupied when the rain comes and my husband and I take it easy with a book. Our family room was tastefully decorated, squeaky clean and had proper cotton white sheets. Looking at the other resort options down the cove, I was glad we chose Sunset -- it is definitely the cleanest-looking one! In the mornings, we had great weather and the sunbeds offer such an inviting place for a massage and its location next to the beach is perfect as we can stlll keep an eye on the kids (or at least, hear them). I also noted that the beach at Sunset was definitely cleaner and quieter than the rest of the area. It was also a relief to know the resort had its own generator as there were frequent power interruptions during the night. The owners obviously had their guests' comforts in mind. These special touches (including a proper sewage system, a rarity in the area), comes with a relatively higher room price - but it is definitely worth the extra pesos. If you want a place where you know you will be looked after, with your comfort and needs being attended to - especially with kids - this is the place to be in Puerto Gallera. On top of that, we had the best sunset view with the best-stocked bar in town!

• Liked — very nice and clean rooms
  • Disliked — the tv
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank NBMC
Philippines
Reviewed August 30, 2008

Staff are friendly, room was clean with basic toiletries.
The rooms in the new building are nice but very pricey. Misleading information and untrained staff.

Puerto Galera's accomodation rate for this kind of accomodation is around $25-$35. This hotel is very expensive. Nothing spectacular, very basic, just new. For a price of $80/ night!!! This is a big joke. The management should consider reviewing its price and the kind of accomodation and service that they give.

We intially reserved for 7 days. But because of the misleading information we decided to vacate the hotel and transferred to a much better beach resort nearby at a a very reasonable price.

• Liked — quiet, new
  • Disliked — price, food
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
8 Thank distinct_taste
Malpas, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2008

A wake up at 4.30 in the morning was how this holiday began. 45 minutes of driving through Batangas' expressways would mean that we would reach it's port in time for our 5.30 Comodos ferry. Everything went smoothly and not long later (The ferry journey lasted for about an hour), we were there.

Tired though I was, I felt very excited as we drove through the island to the resort (We borrowed a car from a distant relation but there are many hire options available). How right I was to be excited! Our room was literally a staircase away from the beach and we quickly dumped our bags down and ran to the beach where Lexi, the manager welcomed us with gusto. As quick as I could, I got into my bikini and headed straight for the sea, blissfully cool complimented perfectly by the scorching sun. Lexi was lovely, constantly reminding me to top-up with sun-cream lotion so I didn't burn and also loaning me books and games to keep me amused.

The room was clean and comfortable, a large double bed for my mum and I, a TV, a gorgeous balcony with hammock, an AC unit, several mirrors, even ample storage space for some of the heaviest packers around! Maids came daily with new towels and bed-linen, which helped us stay fresh in the heat.

Activities included a boat trip to go parascending. This was truly amazing; Lexi organized a boat to pick us up from the resort and off 10 of us went. 60 foot in the sky, looking down on the stunning scenery is an experience that you simply must experience for yourselves. We spent another day island hopping and also got the chance to go snorkelling while being pulled by a small motor boat. This was incredible too, fish I'd only seen previous in Disney films, were swimming before my eyes! There was everything from starfish, to seahorse to those little ones I do not know the name of!

Food at the resort was good! I exclaim this as I am renowned for being a 'Fussy teenager' but it suited me just fine. There were English, Spanish and French dishes but my favourites were the traditional Filipino pansit or adobo. Yummy! It was prepared quickly and served to you on the beach. There was also great choice for drinks but again my favourite was a Filipine Mango Shake. It was so fresh and sweet, but importantly as with all the food at the resort, local.

Another good thing about the holiday was the massage Mum had on the beach. Although not my cup of tea, my mum fully relaxed as she had half an hour's worth of pampering courtesy of a local Filipina. And I love my Rose-Quartz necklace, bracelet and earrings set I picked up from some traders on the beach. Traders were plentiful but did not pester, they were happy to show you their beautiful crafts but move on if you did not want to buy.

In summary, Sunset was pretty faultless. They loaned us kayaks and life-jackets so we could frolic in the sea, gave us helpful information as to where to go and what to do and always gave friendly yet professional service.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of costings as being only 15, Mum didn't share this information with me. However I guess it must have been reasonable as there are talks of a repeat visit and that is a rare thing in my family!

But even if I do not go back with my family, I know that I would love to take my girlfriends there in future. And I can't wait!

• Liked — The setting was stunning
  • Disliked — My favourite hammock was often occupied!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank JoannaRosemary
United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I work in the area and so often choose to take my time off here or bring friends on holiday. The atmosphere in the resort is lovely with attention to detail like the lanterns hanging in trees and tropical flowers in bowls of water on the tables. The dining area is right on the beach but with a sea wall built to protect in times of high tide or stormy weather - not a bad place to be stuck during a typhoons as the rooms are solidly built rather than hut style. The owner creates a really friendly atmosphere where everyone is greeted, often impressively by name. So as a young, single person I rarely find myself drinking alone if I don't want to be, but have always found it easy to enjoy downtime and privacy if that's what I'm after. There are often families or honey mooners there who can enjoy the privacy of thick walls and sealed windows (very rare in the Philippines!) in the deluxe rooms - expensive rooms but very lovely and I think worth it.

If you want the bustle of White Beach you can reach it in 10 mins without it intruding on the peace and quiet of your relaxation time!!

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Price of drinks at the bar
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends