“very relaxing resort and honest staff...keep it up!”

Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed here for 3 days with my husband and 3 friends and it was such a great experience. The view from the hotel was amazing, you can just chill in the balcony with the nice view of the beach and the pool sooo relaxing, the pool was clean and there`s also a pool and bar. The foods are amazing as well. I love the hammocks by the beach where you can just watch the beach or read.

The staff are really friendly and helpful. We left our camera in the room and already on our way to the main city but they sent it to us the next day. Very nice people!

We will definitely come back! keep it up!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Janet P

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Sunset at Aninuan was recommended by a friend, checked TA for further information.
Reserving a room with Lez was a breeze. He suggested a deluxe room in the middle section of the resort.
Room's quaint, comfortable, there's a small deck with oversized chair fronting the outdoor restaurant and the beach.
I spotted other room types, rooms in the newer section are nicely furnished, looking over the swimming pool.

Resort's perfectly located in a small strip of an almost empty beach.

Staff were mindful and observant. They're attentive and conscientious to your needs.
Lez who doubles as a bar keeper was a fun guy to talk to, he kept me entertained during the night until late hours at the resort's bar hut - stocked with local and international spirits.
Food was above average and palatable with distinct of European savor.

A perfect resort for quick get aways from the city.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank MartinMorten1972
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My girlfriend who is from the Philippines and now lives in Japan and I( I live in Michigan, USA) had a trip planned to see her family in the Manila area this week. We also thought it would be fun to get some diving in and stay at a resort in the Puerto Galera area. After looking things over we decided to go with Sunset at Aninuan Resort. Instead of just giving them a credit card # to hold our reservation, I actually let them bill me in advance for $1,000 for a 8 night stay. The person I talked with seemed polite and trustworthy(foolish me.. I know). Anyway, this wk a typhoon hit the Manila area and it was all over the news talking about evacuating 200,000plus people and we saw people floating in the streets on wood and tires.... I called Sunset Resort and mgr(Lez Funtanilla) told me he had never seen so much rain in his life. We decided from a safety and judgment that this would not be wise to press forward with our plans. The airlines recognized it as a natural disaster due to mother nature and re-routed us to stay in Japan instead and they waved their usual fees because of recognized disaster. I contacted Sunset with over a wks notice prior to our intended stay and informed him of our change of plans and he even said he thought it was wise from a safety standpoint. I then told him I would be willing to pay whatever % for a cancellation fee for their troubles and would like a refund for the rest of the $1,000. At this point he got short with me and said he would talk to owner. He got back to me by email and informed me that he could not refund any portion of the money. He said I could use credit in the future( I live in Michigan and we are talking about $1,000 here). I said I would like owners name and email and he refused to give it. He said I could just email general email address with my concern. I checked back a couple days later and he said there was nothing more they could do. I have contacted their Federal trade and industry consumers welfare and business regulation in Makati City and intend to push this to the fullest just on principle. The mgmt there at Sunset veil themselves with lots of Sir and Madam talk but when it comes right down to it they are in fact unethical in their business affairs. I could understand if we just changed our minds but we were so looking forward to this trip and were devastated when we were forced from a safety point to make the change. I just want others who are considering Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort to know what kind of people they are dealing with.
Jay Strahl
Holland, Michigan

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
49  Thank Jayballer1
Reviewed June 28, 2012

As a new expatriate (although I have been visiting this country for years now), the most convenient beach place I can stay for a couple of nights away from bustling Manila, so my colleagues say is Puerto Galera. They recommended staying in Sabang Beach, night life, girls better than the ones in Havana, and good restaurants. Only negative point is that there's no beach.
I opted to stay in White beach. After about 2 hours of taxi drive, I landed at the Batangas port where dozens of resort reps have been wanting me to stay in their beach-front lodging.

White Beach Resort won me (see separate review entry)

I stayed for a night there, don't get me wrong, accommodation was clean and basic and staff were nice, but it's way too close to bars, and people keep gawking at you left and right, selling products or massage. I wasn't able to relax. I would have remained in a hotel in Manila instead.
I walked to other side, across the rock boulders, to the other beach, name is Aninuan.
Here, I saw Tamaraw and Sunset. I was won over by Sunset because of their cozy setting, and entrancing tiki bar.
They gave me a good price for a deluxe room, room was painted white, spotless, right by the beach. The major plus = there were no vendors and crowd that could hassle you as I've learned non-guests are not allowed inside the resort.
The food was more expensive than that of White Beach, it wasn't the best, but it's ok.
They have their own swimming pool, complimentary use of kayaks.

Lady manager was helpful, and the wonderful restaurant and dining ladies were accommodating. Even greeting you by name "Sir Pete" all the time.
When swimming, beach towels come from no where, they're always ready.
Dive Snorkel center people have been helpful.
Milo helped set your sun umbrella when you need them without even asking.
Night time were spent talking to Sir Lez, a cheeky tiki bar guy. We downed a couple of his "traditional" mix jager and red bull drink. He's informative and amusing.

Overall it's been fun. Walk to the water falls was easy with a guide. Marine reef very close to the resort was a plus.

3 days here seemed to past easily.

Would be back.

Petel H.

Room Tip: for solo travelers, a deluxe room will suffice, ask for a good rate
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank PeteHansen75
Reviewed May 27, 2012

The best place to be in Puerto Galera, no doubt. From booking to goodbyes, their staff was very attentive and helpful. The new suite rooms were nice, very spacey with the best sunset view. Food for me was good also. I had italian (pasta) and filipino foods during my 2 nights stay.

Many friends asked me where the place was when i posted our photos in facebook. They really have a nice setting, seems like your in a different part of the world. Lots of things to do here for the family (kids and older ones)....kayak, billiards, pingpong, darts, massage, banana boat, jet ski, etc.

If you like the private, peaceful and great ambiance, this is the place to be! Will definitely go back! Two thumbs up!

Room Tip: We had the interconnecting rooms since we are two families. Very new and perfect view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Lakwatsero612
Reviewed May 21, 2012

What i liked the most was the exclusivity of the place. The room was spacious and the view was great, you can see the pool and the beach at the sametime, it was very relaxing. But the cons was they did not have intercon so we need to go down and look for their staff. Also they did not have any life guard in the pool area or even in the beach. The food was overpriced and it did not taste good. at the same time they do not have complimentary drinks. And i hope they also change their free breakfast.

But all in all i still enjoyed my stay here...

• Stayed: May 2012
5  Thank Anonymous1203
Reviewed May 20, 2012

What a trip! Beach was awesome. The resort is quiet, what a way to relax, really Staff are great and always ready to assist. Their facilities are great especially the infinity pool. The food was kinda expensive but it's not just any ordinary food you can buy elsewhere. The rooms are great too! No hassle, All you just need is to relax and feel the beautiful sunset. All is well. :)

Room Tip: Some rooms doesn't have tv if you like to watch news or just waste time, so you need to check it...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple