“The staff made our visit, and engagement, something to never forget!”

Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed May 14, 2012

In October 2011 my girlfriend and I went to Sunset at Aninuan beach resort for a small holiday, and our engagement that she did not know of.

Prior to our trip I informed the staff, Lez, that I was planning on asking my girlfriend to marry me. Much to my delight Lez shared my excitement and made it an experience that we will never forget.

On arrival I gave Lez the engagement ring and a vintage bottle of champagne, he promised he would take care of everything. From that moment onwards I left it into the staffs hands and enjoyed my holiday.

On my girlfriends birthday for dinner we were escorted to the swimming pool. Next to the swimming pool a table was setup, and all along the swimming pool candles were lit.

During our entire dinner, on a discrete distance two waiters were waiting to assist with all our needs. And as requested when dessert arrived my girlfriend was served a plate of flowers with on top of it the box containing the ring. To my delight and constant joy she said "yes".

After dinner we enjoyed our champagne together with the resort owner Lexy.

When we returned to our room we found a pathway of candles from the door to the bed. And all along the pathway were rose peddles and pink/red hearts which were cut out by hand. In front of the bed was a cardboard heart with sweet words wishing us the best.

The whole experience made our holiday, and engagement, a moment that we will never forget.
And because of this experience there is also no other resort that we would want to get married at.

Lexy, Lez, and all the other staff once again a sincere thank you, salamat po!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MausieV
There are newer reviews for Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort

Reviewed April 22, 2012

This is how you should experience Puerto Galera. Quiet. Beautiful. Relaxing. Fantastic staff. Great facilities. I'm almost a little torn if I want to share this secret paradise from people that may make it too popular but I'll definitely keep coming back!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank LodRose
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The staff will definitely spoil you with their service. Food is also great and it's a great place to jusy relax and worry about nothing :)

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank wiwyl
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is a lovely place to stay a few days. It is beachfront, calm and relaxing. The staff at the hotel is very nice and take care of you. Lexi, the owner, has created a little paradise. The hotel has two parts which obviously are built in two steps and different. We stayed in the old part We had booked a standard room but got an upgrade to Delux. The room was very clean and well kept. I understand from some of the reviews that the new part has a better standard, and also that the ACs are more quite. Since we did not use our AC I dont know how noisy it would be.

All in all we loved this place.

Some advice: When you get to the Batangas Pier to get on a ferry to Puerto Galeras, it is quite chaotic. The hotel will advice you to take the Galerian Ferry Line, but chances are they do not have any departure. So remember the Minolo Shipping Lines, MSL and try to take that, otherwise Father and Son, and dont let all the guys drag you away to something else. Once you are over at the harbor on Puerto Galeras, keep your cool. There IS a free jeepney to the hotel, but there are also lots of guys that will try to fool you to take some other transportation, or make you wait at the wrong vehichle. And if you do not find the jeepney, a transport should only cost 150 Peso to the hotel, so not a big deal.

Room Tip: Close to White beach, but luckily enough not on it. Old part maybe has lower standard, but more be...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bjornsam
Reviewed April 4, 2012

What an amazing little slice of paradise!!! If you are thinking of travelling to the Philippines this is the place to stay!! Not only are you treated exceptionally well by the staff but you are surrounded by breath-taking views. The staff and Management should be commended for their attention to detail, including fresh flowers picked daily and placed in glass bowls scattered around the dining tables, rooms cleaned exceptionally well and even flowers on the side of your freshly squeezed juice. We stayed with our 2 year old son and were made to feel exceptionally welcome and catered for.We stayed for 10 nights and loved it. I even recommend their beautiful staff for baby-sitting as my son still talks about the staff on a regular basis. I can't believe this place is not in the lonely planet!!! We will definately stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank frenchpop15
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My partner & I stayed here for 8 nights in mid March 2012. We booked the place for a relaxing getaway and to do some scuba diving around Puerto Galera.

The most impressionable feature of this resort is the warm hospitality of the staff. The upper level staff really want to encourage return business, and the general staff are exceptionally well trained.

We travelled down from Manila on the SI-KAT Bus & Ferry Service which departed City State Tower Hotel in Ermita at 8:30am, and arrived at Muelle Pier in Puerto Galera at 1pm. If you book with this resort, they will send you a lengthy email explaining all the options of how to get there. The SI-KAT option was straightforward and economical (P700 per person one way). I would recommend packing lightly (no big Samsonites) for the journey because there’s a lot of climbing over bulkheads on the Ferry (which is a big wooden Outrigger Boat). Also try to get a seat in the middle of the Boat, as I saw some people on the sides getting severely splashed! The resort will send a Jeepney to pick you up from the Pier if you arrange with them prior. From there, you can relax and let the resort hospitality pamper you!

The resort site is ideal if you’re there for relaxation, with a short distance of separation from the busy White Beach. It is beach front with the promised incredible sunset view. The owner has done a wonderful job with the design of the resort. There are lots of sun lounges, hammocks and wicker love seats overlooking the sea or their beautiful infinity pool. They want encourage social interaction, so they limit WiFi access to the bar and lounge areas, but there is no problem with that as the public areas are very inviting.

I think the other reviews about the room are accurate. We stayed in the Deluxue Room in the middle-vintage building. The furnishing was simple (bed, dresser, ceiling mounted CRT TV, pedestal fan, wall mounted air conditioner, a cot bed and a safe which was not bolted down). I think there are a few things they can do to update the facilities like the air conditioner, television and the shower. Those facilities were not to a standard that I would write home about. But the room was spacious with a nice balcony with a hammock, and the located close enough to the public area to get WiFi access. If you want a perfect, updated room, negotiate directly with the resort and book one in the brand new building; I heard they are spectacular.

The resort’s restaurant is open all day up to about 9pm in the evening. We ate most meals here, which were palatable and convenient but I recommend you venture out to White Beach for the variety. You can walk there following the water’s edge along the beach and rocks. It takes about 10 minutes. We went back several times to “Galerian Rosie’s Inn” and had incredible feasts there. Butter Garlic King Prawns with Garlic Rice was fantastic. The cocktails are great too. White Beach is very energetic during the day with shop front hawkers, and a bit nuts at night especially on weekends. There are lots of souvenir shopping to be done there. Lots of varieties of T-Shirts for P120, dresses for the girls for P200, and wicker serving trays and stubbie holders. The vendors don’t start off with a ridiculous price like in other places I’ve been to, so you don’t have to worry too much about getting severely ripped off.

Our other pastime was scuba diving. The resort has recently opened a new on-site Dive Centre and they have all practically brand new equipment. The downside is that most dive sites in Puerto Galera is in and around Sabang. It is about a half hour boat ride away from the resort (longer if there’s a head wind). Everything else was pretty much great. During our stay, we spent 3x days diving. We got the pick of where and when we wanted to go and guidance of an enthusiastic local Divemaster Edgar, and informative British Dive Centre manager Chris. The diving was very easy and relaxing. The visibility was supposedly not that great (ranging from 5m in some patches to 10-12m in most areas) but we encountered lots of small fish along with Turtles, Cuttlefish, Sea Snakes, Trumpetfish and Lion Fish. I thought we got fantastic value for money (P3,800 per person for a day of 2x Boat Dives). We got to see plenty, and the service we got from the crew left us not much to do other than get into our gear and driveroll off the boat.

We had a wonderful, memorable holiday. I would definitely return here for the exceptional service and beautiful ambience and location!

Room Tip: There are 3x classes of rooms available. Old Building, Middle-Vintage Building and Brand New Buildin...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Hiraz
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed here for 4 days this March 2012. This is the only place we will ever stay at in Puerta Galera. The views are breathtaking, the service was incredible and their staff won't accept tips. The food was delicious and the attention to detail incredible. From the floating hibiscus flowers in glass bowls on every table to the beautifully appointed outdoor furniture, to the spectacular infiniti pool that is hand scrubbed clean all day long! Free kayaking was an extra benefit we did not expect as most resorts charge for this. They will pick you up from the port and back too so transportation is no problem. The beach is very private free from the barrage of street sellers you will find at nearby White Beach (tourist trap). This resort does not even have a gift shop - though if they did - I would have definitely bought a souvenir T-Shirt that says "Sunset at Aninuan". We originally booked a room in the older part of the hotel then upgraded to a room in the new wing - definitely worth it! The room was incredibly beatiful - like a Pottery Barn commercial. And a rarity in the Philippines is a soaking tub in the bathroom which had windows for the view as well. They also make the best fresh fruit shakes in the world which my three girls enjoyed several times a day - a banana shake, a chocolate shake and a pineapple shake in tall glasses and fresh flowers and fruits garnishing for pleasure to the eye as well as the palate. Our every need was attended to. Trip Advisor might rate this hotel number 2 but Sunset at Aninuan is Number 1 to us. We will definitely return on our next trip back. - The Salang Family

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new phase of the hotel overlooking the infiniti pool.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family