“don't waste your time”
Review of White Beach

White Beach
Reviewed February 2, 2014

White Beach in Puerto Galera mostly visited by local people because of its proximity to Manila. For those who made a long trip to Philippines for get a “piece of paradise”, this place is wrong. The place itself is quite good, but nature’s beauty was destroyed by building of ugly cheap hotels and bars, offering low-quality accommodation, service and food. The beach is dirty and overfilled with annoying masseurs who make massage right on the beach (there are any SPAs or massage saloons, and I’ve heard in-room massage is also forbidden to prevent “happy ending”). I liked to have some tranquility and went far away from the busiest part of the beach, hoping to be not disturbed, but after around 20 minutes I was “attacked” by an old lady with her endless offers starting from souvenirs to massage and mournful story about her hard life; my rejections were simply ignored, she set down close to me and showed no intention to leave, so I had to leave first.
There were also hard to find a proper food too; I’ve met a lot of tourists and our main theme for conversation was quality of food; we shared our experiences and advices where to eat. I can advise “Manalo’s Lodge”, it’s a small family restaurant “on the second line”, beyond the “Khetting's Celebrity Bar”; european food was very good comparing to other places.
There are a lot of “lady-boys” working in the beach bars (some of them could be very annoying) and every evening there were shows in some beach bars: fire dancers (they were great) and lowest quality travesty shows. In fact, this was a single attraction in this place, but you’ll look the same show every evening.
So, if you’re going to pay big money for airplane tickets to Philippines, choose the best places of this lovely country and don’t waste your time for its background.

4  Thank Andrej M
There are newer reviews for White Beach

Reviewed February 1, 2014

this is not the place to go to relax on the beach. vendors will continuously walk up to you blocking the sun with "excusing me sir, jet ski sir?", "massage sir?", "Sunglasses sir?". i am not kidding when i say that the longest gap between being approached by vendors is likely to be about 1 minute and they dont understand a polite 'no thankyou". if you say no to their hats, then they pull out their fake rolexes.. if you say no to that then they try to hook you up with day trip, snorkeling, island hopping and on and on.. the place is totally crawling with ladyboys and if you happen to watch a bit of one of their 'pretend to have talent shows' you will be badgered for a tip. i dont know about you, but lip synching and acting queer is not talent to me. they are pretty much unavoidable so if you cant tolertate that sort of behavior then white beach is not for you.

2  Thank john a
Reviewed January 31, 2014

White Beach...well nice beach but I'd rate it not bad. As a tourist that likes to be away from touristy establishments, White Beach was not really my type of place. The people are friendly but I approach them with caution due to the fact that despite being Filipino, I look foreign to them and if you entertain one vendor, be prepared to wave at least 12 more away.

The beach is peppered with a variety of restaurants and bars, many of which are pretty good. We ate at the Chicken Inasal one near the vendor stalls and were happy with the food. That said, the beach is quite crowded and full of vendors.

We observed that people were getting massages on the beach, which would be nice if not for the other people walking around in close proximity. If your type of beach is one that parties, then White Beach is for you. Sadly, my partner and I wanted to leave as we finished our meal - we like wilderness, we like being left alone to appreciate nature and not get hounded by vendors (some of whom illegally sell coral necklaces and bracelets).

That said, we got chatting to a sweet lady who was sharing her life story with us...I'd caution foreigners that Filipinas are very easy to fall in love with!

The 'Photobomb' in the background of attached photo was a hilarious gay guy who also worked at the restaurant.

1  Thank beachedmermaid
Reviewed January 24, 2014

If you want activities and actions, this is the side of the town to go. Nearby inns / hotels can be crowded at times.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I got a nice tattoo in Puerto Galera White beach - by great talented tattooer Randolf Amio - a rasta philippino who went for Karaoke signing with us afterwards - clean, nice and precise work - about an hour of work for 1000pesos (black symbols 20cm2). He is a tattoo artist for 12 years and have a guild certificate, and I saw people going there whole day.Recommended!