“Friendly staff, clean premises”

Marco Vincent Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights and 3 days at this spotlessly clean resort from December 15-17. The accomodations were superb compared to anything in the immediate area. The staff was exceedingly friendly and hospitable. Moreover, they were very knowldgeable and were ever available to make calls and/or arrange ferry rides or book events.

We drove our car from Manila to the port at Batangas. There we boarded the ____ ferry and departed the port at 8:10 a.m. After a noisy ride because of a whiny, undisciplined brat, we arrived at Port Calapan at 10:40 a.m. We wanted to drive to Port Galera and see whatever sites there was to see. The trip was 56 kilometers.

We arrived in Puerto Galera after a few stops here and there, where we were warmly greeted. Our room was upgraded for free as the representative at the dock make several errors as to the departure area of the ferry. The first thing we noted was the high level of cleanliness. The entire area was spotless.

The room was large enough (see photos) and the bathroom had a full tub as well as a separate shower. Hot water was available.

If you're there to watch TV, forget it as the cable choices blow chunks.

White Sand Beach is about a 3 minute walk from the resort. It is rife with vendors hawking everything but their mother and sister (but maybe we missed that pitch). While they are indeed annoying, I have seen worse in Angeles City.

The beach leaves much to be desired in my opinion. It is good for swimming and the diving is apparently superb. There is volleyball as well. Of course, the boardwalk as it were is lined with souvenir shops, bars, eateries and tattoo joints.

Swimming is best done in the hotel pool which is big and exceptionally clean.

The one thing I did not like about the hotel was the lack of windows looking out towards the pool and beach. Rather, we had one facing the narrow road. It was pretty much worthless as far as I was concerned.

One of the better things we found to do was visit Xtrene Sports about a few km's down the road. The resort will arrange it for you but we went on oour own. For 999 pesos (about $25), one person gets 10 laps on 150cc go-carts, 3 laps in muddy terrain on an ATV, and 3 laps in a mud buggy. That was awesome!

Of note, if you have ever seen the picture on the cover of Lonely Planet, it is a picture of a yellow house on the beach in Puerto Galera.

We likely won't return again as there are better resorts closer and the ferry trips blow chunks.

Nevertheless, the resort is way above average and it is no fault of the owner, management or staff that the beach is what it is.

Room Tip: Avoid the Pirata Galera restaurant on White Beach. It looks great but the food is horrible.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I can't say enough praise about this hotel. The staff was extraordinary from the moment we (32 divers from California) walked in the door and they addressed each one of us personally by our names. That never happened to me before and I have worked in the travel industry for over 19 years! Wow, what personal service. Every morning we were greeted by each staff member by name. This place is immaculate too. From the daily early morning polishing of banisters to the constant attention to detail made this stay extremely comfortable. The wonderful owners, Mercy and Mel, were on property or on the dive boat with us the entire time we were there. No request went undone. When Mercy asked me the first day out on the boat what she could do to make my room more comfortable I remarked that I have light sensitivity and preferred darker curtains. When I returned to my room that afternoon I found that the curtains had been changed to a darker set. How nice is that? The staff was exemplary. Michelle and Nathan are a lovely team of hospitality management graduates who created beautiful lunch spreads with finesse equal to any catering professional worth their salt -- and they did it easily on a rapidly moving boat. There was a wonderful chef aboard every day who served barbecued meals that were to die for. The service was just fantastic. Anything request you desired they were more than happy to indulge us with and with their warm smiles. Our hotel staff did everything they could to make sure we were completely satisfied with everything you could imagine. The general manager, Lynn, was on the premises from the wee hours of the morning until way after dark. We wenr zip-linng with Mariane who made us feel so happy. she is a warm example of Philippine hospitality. Dedication to excellence is how I would describe this hotel staff. They are like family. The owners provide housing for their staff next to the dive shop so that it's like home for them. No wonder they are all so happy all the time. The dive masters were brilliant at their jobs though it's hard to call what they do "work" because they are so happy to dive with us. As a relatively new diver, my dive master Warren made sure I was completey safe and confident before he let me go on my own. He knew exactly where to show us each fascinating animal even if they were buried beneath the ocean floor. We divers and staff became fast friends and even FaceBook friends with our new found extended family. I could say more but this is getting to be a long review. find out for yourself how great this place is. I will jump at the chance to return to Marco Vincent Resort especially if it is arranged by Bamboo Reef, the dive shop where I got certified (located in San Francisco and Monterey, CA). Marco Vincent Resort is a place that beckons its guests to return often. I will be one of those returning guests for sure.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Caroljoy0427
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I arrived at Muelle Port by public boat and transferred to hotel by aircond jeep for about 15 minutes. The moment we arrived hotel we were warmly welcome by hotel staff and till the time we checked out hotel, we felt great hospitality extended to us anywhere and anytime.
The room was not big, but it was clean and the mattress and blanket were comfortable and enabled us a good night sleep.
Amenities seemed short of something. Such as I found no drinking glass in room; perhaps everyone just drink bottled water and glasses are redundant. But right outside my room there was a distilled water dispenser which was very considerate to roomers.
I think the illumination in bathroom was not bright enough for me to read, it could be my personal problem. But when i mentioned to front desk about there were two big towels in bathroom only; and i found out two more big towels was placed in bathroom when we were out on beach. I could not help but praised their staff's attentive service.
Only thing I hope to see solution is the portion of the breakfast which was included in the room rate. An ordinary size of Omelette plus two pieces of toast may not be enough for mid-age or under customers.
We decided to do a sightseeing tour within Puerto Galera area. Hotel was able to provide a nice van and a guide for PhP2500 for four hours use.We went up to Ponderosa golf course enjoying panorama view and visited church and Sabang town. The trip made me know Puerto Galera better for the reference of my next trip back to here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I am an extremely picky person typically but I have to say that this place, by and large, exceeded all my expectations. My fiance and I usually travel on a shoestring, but signed up for a scuba diving trip at this place which was slightly more upscale than we are used to. This place did not disappoint and is well worth the slightly extra cost.

First, the staff is terrific. I have never seen most positive, cheerful and attentive people. They attend to your needs before you even have a chance to request anything of them, that's how remarkable everyone is at what they do. Even when I'd wake up tired after a whole day of diving, their attitudes managed to cheer me up. From the staff at the hotel to the people working on the dive boat, I have nothing but high praises for everyone. Even the owner, Mel and his wife, were inordinately nice and treated us like family. I can't speak highly enough what a difference it makes to stay at a place where the people are actually happy to be there and happy to serve and help you so graciously. A special shout out to the manager of the dive-shop, Danny, for his special sense of humor and for escorting us on a memorable night out in the nearby town.

Second, the dive operation is very well managed and runs smoothly. The dive masters are all well trained and they are always checking up on you to make sure you're okay. The food served on the huge new boat the hotel has acquired is absolutely incredible. Fresh BBQ-ed chicken, shrimp and squid, among many other sides, every single day. Who can complain? I'd smell the mouth-watering aroma of the chicken before I even got back on the boat after a dive and almost wanted to ask the staff to throw me a piece while I waited to get on the boat. The dive shop management was even nice enough to comp us the equipment rental even though it wasn't included in the initial package we bought with them.

Lastly, the location is private and far enough away from the riff-raff of crowds to where this can be a great intimate place to spend time with a special someone. Although the town is nearby enough to where it is easily accessible so the location isn't too remote. It's exactly right.

I can't think of enough good things to say about this place. All in all this has been a memorable trip and I can't wait to return in the future.

Room Tip: All the rooms are exceptional, can't go wrong. No elevators though so you may want to select a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chazmaster
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We experienced enough in a short period of time to know this place is special. The location and property are simply stunning. Everyone working there will go out of their way to help. The service ethic is truly special, both when things go well and when things go badly. It was one of the best hotel we have ever stayed at. Two thumbs up and will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Yakovodka
Reviewed January 10, 2013

It was our second time in Galera, and staying in Marco Vincent is the
reason why we will come back again. At first you will be surprise of the
cost of the rooms and Diving, but afterwards you will be amazed what they
can really offer.

We did Discover Scuba Diving and it was very good.. Not only the Dive site
we’ve been but also the gears and other equipments they have, the
instructor and the staff are very approachable.
Their rooms are awesome and very systematize, the bed sheets are clean and
fabric.
Restaurants are very fine specially the one in front of the beach. We love
the ambiance, and the food.
And most of all the very very very friendly staff..

Without any doubt I can now say that Marco Vincent is the most excellent
Hotel/ Resort in Puerto Galera.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alicia C
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We’re on a vacation with my 2 kids for 8 nights in Marco Vincent. Upon check in, the staff welcomed us with a smile giving a wonderful feeling of being at home, you will just feel it right away. We booked for a Family room and because we are four people they upgraded it into Super Family. The rooms are tastefully decorated. The one we had on the second floor, is spacious and comfortable.
The distance of the resort from the beach gave us more relaxing nights because the noise from the partying people at the beach front is a big “NO” for kids.
My kids loved swimming in their indoor clean pool and Jacuzzi; the staff would even open the jacuzzi and extend its use just for them to enjoy, that’s why they loved swimming the whole time.
My hubby and I had our first DSD or Discover Scuba Diving and the instructor is professionally great! DIVING is definitely a wonderful experience! And if our kids will be at their right age, I will not hesitate to let them experience it. The offered massage is perfect the night after we had our dive.
The food is incredible! And the way they served and prepared the food is magnificent. My husband loved “CHICKEN CURRY” and been curious how the chef prepared such a sumptuous dish. Plus the pizza special and sizzling bulalo at Aqua bar at the beachfront is a must try for everyone.
During our stay, the room is cleaned and well kept by the housekeeping, no need to request for a makeup room every time.
WIFI connection was excellent all-over, useful for travelers whose job needs to update the internet always.
Ladies of front desk, was very helpful and quick to offer information on "the locals" favorite places to eat and hang out.
Service in all departments is very attentive.
I would recommend it to my friends- pretty good value in terms of price and service. So excited to come back this SUMMER!

Room Tip: rooms at the second floor facing the center of the resort
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family