“FANTASTIC!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Greetings from Germany
Andi

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank KawaZ900

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

My wife and I ended up here as a result of the ash cloud disrupting flights after our original holiday in Coron on Busuanga.

Once we had tickets home we decided to go to Mindoro for some more diving. We found the Mermaid by accident, but were very lucky indeed.

The hotel itself is 200m from the sea front, but that is not a problem. If they know you're coming someone will be there to meet you off the boat to help you with your bags.

The hotel has well equipped rooms, with safe, TV, very reasonably priced mini bar, en suite, aircon and is very clean. There is also a very hygenic well cared for pool. There is a free pool table which is in good condition. On checking in, you are provided with a free half hour massage at the spa opposite the hotel; makes a change from the free drink that most hotels give you. In addition the restaurant does good food. Our other experience in the Philippines was with service that was sluggish, that is not the case at the Mermaid. The manager, Torben, was always around at points during the day/evening, so you could have a chat with him if you had issues or positive comments about the resort.

We came to Sabang to dive. The Mermaid has it's own dive outfit but initialliy we did not dive with them. That was our mistake. My wife and I both have over 100 dives and if we had our time again would dive with Mermaid. The one dive we did with them was great. Why do we say that? Although we have our own gear, we noticed that their gear was in great condition.The dive centre was very well organised with male/female changing areas and showers, a classroom and coffee/tea and towels provided after dives. Bob the manager (who has been there for many years) provided a very detailed introductory briefing to the centre when we arrived. He admitted to being a bit over organised, but in our experience that's a good thing in a dive centre. You won't find 18 year old gap year students guiding you here. We were guided by a local called Jeff, who was vastly experienced, provided us with confidence in his abilties from the outset and as an added bonus, found us pygmy seahorses. That was a pretty good spot!!, but it shows he knows his diving and what to show to visitors.

Sabang is a good place to visit, great diving, some nightlife, great food. If we come back we will definitely stay and dive with Mermaid. If you are considering coming out to Sabang for this sort of holiday, you should book with them. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Monkeys_Mum_and_Dad
Bishan, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

My girlfriend and I originally planned to go to Tokyo for the holidays but because of budget constraints explored possibilities in southeast Asia instead. This is how we came to know about Puerto Galera. We wanted to try out something new as well as celebrate News Years. We did some searched and saw Mermaid Resort in Sabang.

I must admit it was not too easy to get to the site as there were hassles along the way. The airport for one is very much unlike the ones in more industrialized countries. In any case, once the Mermaid adventure got started, everything turned out perfect.

We were picked up by Ruel? at the airport in a private van. He drove us all the way to Batanggas port which was not too big but nevertheless served its purpose. The road travel took 2 hours as mentioned in the Mermaid website. Then we took a motor boat (also arranged by Mermaid) to Sabang itself. We initially taught Sabang was an island but found out later that it was part of a much bigger island, Mindoro. All in all, transportation arranged by the resort was a breeze.

At the resort, we were greeted by very friendly reception and bar people. I must say, the façade of the resort looked nicer than the pictures we’ve seen in their website which are pretty nice already. The resort really looked like a 5-star place if not for the surrounding area. The reception was really warm and the food was great. Our itinerary had Discover Scuba Diving in it but that was for the next day so we decided to just rest for now and sample their food.

The next day we went to Mermaid Diver which is their beach front dive shop. Bob who is this friendly American master instructor was very accommodating. We literally had no experience in diving but Bob was very patient with us and taught us the basics from signs, how to breathe underwater, how to get by with the heavy equipment, and how to prevent problems. We took the Discover Scuba Diving course which is really built for beginners. We had practice dives at the Mermaid pool and made our way to Sabang beach for the actual dive. There was pretty much a lot of sea life at the Sabang beach but we were told there were lots more in the other dive sites. The next time we go to Sabang we will take the Open water course and take on more dive sites.

That night, we joined festivities that started at the resort with their happy hour and buffet dinner. The food was really good with roast pork, beef, turkey and salads and seafood! The price was not too bad as we only had to pay 15 dollars for the whole thing! Then we went to the beach front close to midnight and we were treated to a grand display of fireworks.

It was not Tokyo but Tokyo would not have been able to give us such a wonderful tropical new year anyway!

We wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this Sabang and Mermaid Resort to my friends.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChoySG
Broome, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

Hello folks !!! well weve been at puerto gallera stayed thier for 5 days at mermaid hotel . The hotel is clean the room is cozy but ripp off your pocket bec we pay 100 usd a night then not infront of beach beside if your in puerto gallera you must to go to sabang white sand so you must to get a boat which have a very dear price we pay 1800 pesos just me and my fiancee. Well if you are into bar girls puerto gallera is the place you wanted to stay. Not recommended for lovers .The corals also are deadddddd . We will not come back again in puerto gallera . thats it we visited once .

1 Thank josephineovens
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

We have just returned from a 2 week diving trip to Puerto Galera in the Philippines and we chose to stay at the Mermaid resort in Sabang Beach, and we dived with Mermaid Divers. The hotel is located about 100mtrs back from the main beach area and is exactly as you see it on their website. The rooms are comfortable and are spotlessly clean and well maintained. The staff are great and the manger Andrew is very accommodating. We chose to have our meals at the hotel as the food was outstanding and the prices were very reasonable. We did have a meal down at one of the other restaurants but found it to be very disappointing. Having checked out many of the other options for accommodation in this town Mermaid is definitely the best place to stay and presents good value for money.
Mermaid Divers are affiliated with the hotel and are located on the beach front. (along with about 40 other dive operators) The dive shop is Manged by Bob and what he does not know about diving has not been done yet. whilst we were in the off season, and the weather had some less than perfect conditions the guys always managed to find a diveable location and ensure that we had the best that could be found. There are numerous dive sites to choose from and all are only a few minutes ride away in one of their speed boats. The shop is well laid out with excellent wash down facilities, hot showers and a cold beer or 2. They take care of all of your gear for you and your kit is set up and on the boat ready go in the morning.

We will definitely consider going back to Sabang and would not hesitate to stay and dive with Mermaid or recommend them to any travelers.

2 Thank gilliePerthwestaus
Makati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

Very nice Hotel, very clean, perfect Service, STAFF VERY FRIENDLY, For me the best FRECH Kitchen in this Place(sabang),its a must to trie the Egg Omlette in the Morning!!!!! MMMMHHHHH......Pool also very clean , with Poolservice :-)
Owner(Mr. Thorben) and General Manager(Mr.Andrew) are always in the Hotel, so everythink goes profesional....
I WILL COME BACK!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MakatiWine
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

My husband and I as well as our dad had an awesome stay here May 24-25, 2008 on a scuba diving trip. I would say that among all the places I've stayed in Puerto Galera (and there have been a LOT of them), Mermaid definitely has the BEST accommodations.

We made arrangements through a personal contact who was very helpful and accommodating. We haven't been to Sabang in 2 years, and we were surprized when we arrived at Mermaid. The building looked well maintained and practically new. We felt like we were in a luxury hotel, but it was small enough to feel like home. Daddy had one of the Superior rooms and we had our own digs in the penthouse. Both rooms were spacious and clean. Each had good water supply and gorgeous bathrooms. Our Penthouse room was at the very top of the building and had striking views of the beach with its panoramic windows in 3 of its 4 walls. It was a beautiful morning to wake up to every time. Did I mention the terrace with the lounge chairs and the hot tub?! We would have stayed in the "Suite" all day if anything else (did I mention the gorgeous bathroom and the hot tub?!). That night, we didnt even bother checking out Sabang's bustling nightlife-- we just stayed in our rooms having beer and watching cable TV that we could actually SEE-- We loved it that much!

Unfortunately on the morning of our 2nd day, I injured myself while climbing down the stairs from the penthouse. It was raining that morning, and I slipped and fell probably 6-8 steps. The handrail was too wide for anybody going down to have a good grip, especially in the event of a fall (I actually WAS holding on to the handrail when I slipped, so I know it doesn't help). The stairway did not have any anti-skid mechanisms. Fortunately on my cursory examination of myself, I didn't think I had any injuries that would requre any intervention, just an ugly bruise on half of the side of my thigh that definitely hurt in the morning, so I kept on diving...

That incident though I hope will not have to happen to anyone else, and they have said they will look into possible improvements to prevent it. I still give them 5 stars overall, and would be much appeased once the necessary improvements are made. I wish I could post more pictures of the place... Would DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY stay at Mermaid again. In fact, the thought of staying there makes me want to go to Galera as often as I can. So when are we going back to Sabang?

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family