“Great Dive shop both for "Tec" & "Recreational"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Frontier Scuba

Frontier Scuba
Ranked #4 of 24 Tours in Puerto Galera
More attraction details
Owner description: Puerto Galera's Boutique Dive Operation- a family run business for the best in personal service. With over 20 years and 20,000 dives experience in Puerto Galera and the highest rated 5 Star TDI / SDI Instructor Training facility, we are sure to take care of every level of diver. Our services include full dive vacation packages of private transfers, excellent accommodation in our partner resorts, diving, dive courses and meals at Hemingway's Restaurant. Dive are keep fun and enjoyable with just 6 divers per group on board our custom made dive boats. We dive at least 4 times daily, with more than 30 dive sites within 15 minutes of the dive center. All our dives are professionally guided and include good briefings and slow, enjoyable dives . Learn to dive starting with PADI Discover Scuba Diving / Open Water courses all the up to Advanced Trimix diver and TDI Tech Instructor courses. The Frontier Scuba Team loves to dive and show you the best of Philippines diving. Our trips are safe, fun, friendly and professional. Come Join The Fun !
Beijing, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Dive shop both for "Tec" & "Recreational"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just finished trimix and adv trimix tec course with Frontier Scuba. The owner -- Rick , is great tutor. Love to dive with him and learn skills from him. Services are also quite well when I did recreational dives with them. Staff are also nice. Thanks all for bringing me good Tec experience.

Visited May 2013

Beijing, China
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Professional Dive Shop with Nice Dive Sites”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Highlights:

- Good, efficient service helping me with booking course, finding accommodation and transport.
- Offers SDI - not available everywhere.
- Flexible course - the instructor worked with me to tailor the dives and the timing of the dives to my interests and schedule.
- Busy dive shop with lot's of dive boats every day.
- Majority of divers at Frontier Scuba are experienced divers and many of them were returning to dive with Frontier Scuba.
- The dive sites are very close to Sabang. The longest boat ride was 10 mins. All the boats were a good size and nicely maintained. Boat drivers obviously very experienced at working with divers.

Special mention to Rick, owner of the dive shop, Corey my instructor and Myrene from the back office. All of them were nice people, friendly, professional and very helpful.

Visited May 2013
Durango, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Good solid dive operator in a town chock full of them”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

FrontierScuba Dive Shop seems to be a good dive shop. Overall, I have to give them a 4-star rating.

Pros:
Rick was very helpful in getting us a place to stay (Angelyns, right next door), even though Agoda kept showing the place was full. He set us up with a great dive-and-stay package. Finally, his instructions for getting to Sabang Beach from Manila were extremely helpful. (I highly recommend paying a little extra to catch the Sikat Shuttle). They have good equipment for hire, the two DMs (Harry and Rommel) that we had were both good. They were excellent at pointing out assorted critters, while keeping the pace of the dives consistent. Finally, they were accommodating when we asked for a special trip out to Verde Island.

Cons:
My biggest beef was that we did not have a boat anywhere near us on 3 out of 15 dives when we surfaced. It was almost like the boat captains had no idea where or when we would come to the surface. If a diver was in an emergency situation, they would have been screwed. In all 3 cases, we had to ask a boat from one of the numerous other dive shops to relay our position to our boat as we bobbed along the surface for 10-15 minutes.
I would have to say that you have to be fairly self-reliant, too. If you are a beginner, you cannot expect them to be checking on your air supply very often or your no-deco time. You and your buddy have to keep track of yourselves.

Lastly, and I don't know if this is a Filipino cultural thing, but I strongly feel that DMs need to equally enforce to all clients the divers ethics of not touching or damaging ANYTHING! It almost seems to me that this is how Asian divers, specifically Chinese and Japanese, have been trained. I really feel that we should not be touching anything, with or without gloves. In one case, we had a fellow diver with 2 feather dusters and some coral stuck to his thigh after mashing a coral bommie. Very sad. As soon as a DM sees this, I think the diver should get a strike. Two strikes means you lose your diving privilege. I would also prefer a more thorough predive briefing, once again emphasizing how fragile coral reefs are.

Although this is not the fault of the dive shop, I think the dive sites in the Puerto Galera area are only average. There are tons of beautiful nudibranchs, some big turtles in the area, and heaps of incredible feather dusters, but there are almost no big pelagics. I think the area has been dangerously over fished, leaving no big fish or lobsters or crabs. I also suspect that there are too many divers in the area, many of them with gloves simply grabbing coral to stop their drift or to take photos. The divers with cameras are even worse about touching.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank funkstone
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great place to go diving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I spent 3 months completing my PADI divemaster course with Frontier Scuba. I had a great time and everyone there made me feel really welcome. Corey was a great instructor and all guys were really helpful and I learnt a great deal in the time i was there. The atmosphere around the shop is really comfortable and it's like family. Rick was great in organising transport and accomodation and I have organised subsequent trips with him and never been dissapointed. If you in the area its the shop to go with.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank CallumCoats
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Why would you go anywhere else?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Where else can you go for PADI, SDI and Tech diving personnel who not only offer a great variety of courses as well as fun dive experiences, but are friendly, caring, and seem to find those hidden treasures for you to photograph? Rick, Corey, Harry and Rommell were absolutely incredible to make sure our experience under the waves was something we can brag about forever. The other guys who took care of our tanks, carried our gear to and from the boat, and drove us to the dive sites always had a smile and were so helpful.

I was also so impressed with Rick's professionalism in ensuring all of his guests felt welcome, and made sure our accomodations and travel was hassle free. Rick has been at that spot for years and can tell you all kinds of stories about events, finds, and history of the local area but also about places such as Corigador, Donsol, Coron, or wherever you cared to go.

I've been to a few other places, but I am heading back to Frontier when I decide to get my divemaster course. I can't imagine getting the same great experience anywhere else.

Visited February 2013