“Diving during Chinese New Year”

Blue Ribbon Dive Resort
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
“Diving during Chinese New Year”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Excellent value for money.

Accommodation:
Great looking chalets. Clean comfortable places. I still remember the fresh smelling towels and sheets. It was nice to have a private deck, except that we sometimes smelled a sewage drain from outside the property. I think only a few units were close enough to be impacted by this. I had mixed feelings about the live music in the restaurant because I couldn't get sleep early when I wanted to, but it was nice to have entertainment so close. They had great Filipino breakfasts.

Diving:
I had a great time diving with the team. They were ask friendly and helpful. They were attentive and thorough in training courses. They had reliable, well maintained equipment. They set up a great day of diving at Verde Island with lots of awesome good and the dives. Whenever we returned from dives the restaurant staff immediately offered us complimentary drinks (non alcoholic). The drawbacks were that our Verde Island dive didn't include the Washing Machine dive and I didn't get to dive the Canyons. These seem to require lots of special interest and multiple boats--not many shops have multiple boats. It was also nice to have my own dedicated bin to store my dive stuff in between dives.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mark B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We just returned from an 8 night stay at Blue Ribbon and I can't emphasis enough what an exceptional experience Ryan and I had diving with this group. Now, a bit of background, my husband and I have traveled to 112 countries over the past 36 years and have had so many incredible experiences. Diving with Blue Ribbon is in the top 5 of all those amazing adventures we've had. Why, you ask......because of the people that work there. The rooms are not Richey Glitzy, but they were homey and very comfortable. The food is some of the best I've ever eaten.......But, the real reason we went there was to dive. My husband and I have logged well over 700+ dives throughout the world and have never had such "expert Dive masters" anywhere else in the world. Chris, Jeff, and Baz were outstanding because they enjoyed each dive and it was obvious they enjoyed having us dive with them. I came with the hope of seeing and photographing nudibrachs. Not only did I see and photograph every last one, Chris and Baz seemed thrilled to see me having such a great adventure. We were never rushed, gear was supreme and dives were professionally monitored at all times. Be very "well traveled" sometimes our expectations are a bit high. However, BR met and exceeded all expectations because of their friendliness, passion and professionalism. After a dive, Mahen would offer us coffee, tea or juice immediately and with a smile. When our computer crashed, Jon, the owner, offered to look at it......out of kindness. I could go on and on and on.......instead I will return soon and highly recommend Blue Ribbon Divers!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are quaint little thatched roof cottages.....right out of the movies!! Fabulous!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChaChingNEW
Hong Kong
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I didn't stayed or dived here but had ate here for five times during my 6-day trip here.

Their food is steadily good, reasonably priced (around 60% of Papa Fred's or Veranda, although I really like the latter) and service very friendly. Their pizza crust is thin and of high standard.

I was there last night when they have the Friday BBQ and stage singer. Very enjoyable. I'm leaving PG in two hours and will head for their restaurant for farewell brunch!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank CindyHongKong
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 12, 2014

The staff at Blue Ribbon is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and I had a hammock for my room! The resort restaurant services good food at a reasonable price. If you are diving, the dive staff is knowledgeable and professional- I had a great time. I will go back again soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kayo C
Beijing, China
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I and friend went to Blue Ribbon ON May 26, and stay at there for 8 days, t was recommend by a friend who stayed at it before.Everybody at Blue Ribbon is very nice including the receptionist /waitress/cooker, especially the instructor! The instructors are very profession and patience, they are very responsibility! They gave me a big hand when I was sick, I can`t forget their kindness.
It is true, I will go to Blue Ribbon again and continue my course, meanwhile I like to recommend it to my friends!

Room Tip: Next time I will try the room around the swimming pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cindy619
freiburg
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Some friends and I stayed in the Resort one year ago, and had an incredible time. Last month, we went back to Puerto Galera, and for some reason, a friend suggested we try another resort, which we did, and which is pushing me to write this review, as there is clearly no better option in Puerto Galera then Blue Ribbon... (during out stay in our other resort, we even went back to Blue Ribbon for their awesome BBQ dinner... that is to say.)
The rooms there are bungallows, which are very spacious, and equipped with all necessary facilities. I had a twin room, and to my surprise, both beds were kind size beds, and there was well enough space for each of us to have a lot of privacy. the bungallow had a safe, a mini bar..
As we were a big group, we took up most of the resort, and all the bungalows are built around the swimming pool, which is far nicer than some of the other hotels in PG.. There is even a jaccuzi!!
We went to PG to dive, so we were not bothered by the fact that the "beach" is more dead corals/shells and not real sand, but this is the same everywhere in PG, and it did not prevent us from going swimming in the evenings anyways.
One of the major points where Blue Ribbon beats all it's competitors is the chill out area in the restaurant, with those huge comfi chairs and coutches! Trust me, all those hotels on PG have a restaurant facing the sea, but the area at Blue Ribbon is so much nicer than anywhere else!

Also, the whole staff there is wonderful and the owner is a good chap! I'd recommend this place to anyone, be it for a group of divers going to have a good time (this was our case) or for a family getaway & even on a couple holiday.

I feel really strongly about this property, because it is rare to get this kind of service and welcome, and attention during a stay, and I've experienced that this is not to be expected from everywhere.. just a few places that stand out!

Thanks you guys, and will be back soon!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank renslo1
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Stayed for five days. Room was clean and spacious. Good shower and a/c unit. Staff friendly and helpful. Amazing food - best sizzling pork sisig I've had in Philippines. Really generous portions. Dive gear was in good condition. Dive master Jeff was very professional.
My only complaints was about the tea - 50 pesos for a cuppa! There were a lot of brownouts, which meant the a/c didn't work, but not much they could about it.

Room Tip: Get a small room. The a/c will cool it quicker.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo