“Great”

Blue Ribbon Dive Resort
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
“Great”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Had a great time. Good diving lovely staff great food. Perfect location and all round great resort. Wouldn't go anywhere else. Saw three turtles my life is complete. Great atmosphere at night and attracts lots of customers due to their friendly staff

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
salt lake city, utah
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Hotel by the ocean. Unbelievably great scuba diving. They made Verde island trip easy! If you want that. We saw schools of barracuda. Schools of tuna pretty cool. Currents were strong visibility was great. Lots of nudibrachs. This place is Total experience. I love to scuba dive. They have it all.

Room Tip: 14 Rooms .All have good mattresses. It starts closest to the ocean and there's a pool at he back...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights at Blue Ribbon and thought it was quite well run. Accommodations are basic but clean--all I needed actually for a diving holiday. Cottage was charming. The staff at the reception were helpful, friendly and accommodating. Shirly in particular responses quickly to all my email queries. I found the restaurant staff to be mostly funny--they seemed concerned I wasn't eating enough. Food was better than the other restaurants along Sabang beach.

Two thumbs up for dive masters Jeff and Jun. Briefings were well done. As a newbie diver, I always felt safe diving with them. My boyfriend liked to take his time with the camera, so we were usually the stragglers of the dive group, but either Jun, Jeff or Herbert would stay close to us at every dive.

Reasonable rates for room and dives, great staff-- would definitely return!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Pasig, Philippines
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for scuba diving. The resort itself looks very dated compared to its neighbors (Think squatters house next to a skyscraper). Im filipino, so if you are too, expect to be treated 3rd tier not in this resort but all of sabang. Except for dive masters jeff and jun and d bartender, the staff including the dive instructors are not helpful at all. Dive sites are not worth d effort. I planned a 3 day diving vacation and here i am leaving for manila in the morning of the second day. Very very disappointed with blueribbon and most of sabang as well...

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
BlueRibb0n, Owner at Blue Ribbon Dive Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for staying here with us at Blue Ribbon Dive Resort, we are obviously disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay here. We do however welcome constructive criticism and would like to respond to some of the issues you raised.

We are most concerned to hear that as Filipinos you and your colleagues felt treated as "third class citizens" by the staff here at Blue Ribbon. I can only say that we have divers visiting here of many nationalities including many large groups of Filipinos. We strive to treat all regardless of ethnicity, age, gender or sexuality with dignity and respect all people deserve. In this respect we are proud of our record which is attested to by the favorable feedback and numbers of return guests we receive. We do however take very seriously any accusations of racism leveled at us or our staff and would appreciate more specific details of your claims, maybe you could email me in private.

With regards to your diving experience here with us at Blue Ribbon, I understand that our dive staff team took the collective decision to restrict the diving opportunities available to you and your colleagues based upon your level of experience and your competency as divers exhibited during your earlier dives. Although I understand this can be disappointing and can den't ones pride. I do hope you have not misinterpreted this decision relating to your safety made by experienced dive professionals for that of "unhelpful Instructor" or in anyway to do you with your ethnicity. Your safety whilst diving with us is our number one concern and however our actions with regards to this are interpreted we will not compromise on this issue. I understand that one of our instructors took the time to sit and advise you and your colleagues on how to proceed with future training to enhance your safety . We can only hole that you accept this advise in the friendly, genuinely concerned manner it was offered.

Once again, thank you for your stay at Blue Ribbon and thank you for your feedback.
California
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Sabang is a major diving destination with (literally) dozens of dive shops. With a dive shop every 10 meters, choosing between them can be difficult.

I asked a long-time Sabang expat to give me a short list of dive shops to consider. After walking around to each of them and talking to the divemasters, I chose Blue Ribbon.

The first thing that I look for in a dive shop is confirmation that they have the basics covered: PADI 5-star certification and good quality equipment that is well maintained.

Next, I look for things that will help to make my dives enjoyable. Blue Ribbon runs small boats, so you aren't stuck trying to get on and off with 10 other people. They know the dive sites well and can show you around, and their divemasters are friendly and kind, which always makes it easier to have fun.

Note: I did not stay at the hotel; I just did my dives there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking time for giving us some feedback. It was a pleasure having you here, and hope to see you again soon.

Jon
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Accommodation is basic but fine but poetic license to the grounds that are portrayed in the pictures. A small pool and pokey garden at best. Food was alright, nothing great. Dive shop less than impressive, boat invariably left very late and only seemed to go to nearby sites but maybe I was unlucky there. I am always scepticle when a local dive shop has more foreign dive guides, often transient travellers or friends of the owner and so on, rather than local guides that really know the sites. And this was how blue ribbon operate, hence the spotting was poor. They also were poor in group management, not correctly apportioning divers relative to experience. This place is probably ok for beginners but there are definitely better operators around.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Boothtel
Thank you for your stay with us at Blue Ribbon, I am sorry to here we did not provide the service that you were expecting.

I wan't to just reply to a few of your points.

During the week that you stayed, our two main Divemasters were not working, due to a non work related incident, so we had to get some of our less experienced friends in to take control of the diving; it was a busy period and there were no local guides available.

Every instructor at Blue Ribbon excluding our newest Instructor has trained or is training a local Filipino to become a Divemaster. We normally have all our dives, taken out by the local guides, I'm sorry this wasn't the case when you were here, but it is the usual way we operate. We did struggle that week because of our lack of staff to split groups into different experience levels. I am truly sorry that it effected your stay and opinion of us.

I will happily invite you to try us again if you are in the area, for a few free dives guided by our regular team.

Yet again thank you for your review.

Dive Safe
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed at the Blue Ribbon Dive Resort from 2nd -7th march 2014. We made the best choice dead centre of everything. Near to lots of bars and restaurants. Room basic but all you need if you are diving very clean, lovely staff and the food excellent can recommend the steak. The dive masters we excellent, briefings good, equipment and boat excellent, dive sites fab lots to see would highly recommend the this particular dive centre. Hope to return again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review.

When we get feedback like this, it makes all the staff happy. All the staff members here read our reviews, and love to see when their work is appreciated.

Hope to see you soon.