“Best spot in Puerto Galera”

Blue Ribbon Dive Resort
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stayed at Blue Ribbon with Jon, Baz and the crew in the first week of March. The resort and staff are friendly and welcoming, the rooms comfortable, air conditioned and well equipped. The food is plentiful and good. The evening atmosphere is made very enjoyable by the very good live bands. Great view from the bar and great place to stay. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed at Blue Ribbon end January on a 5D 4N trip, our 2nd time here after we found this place on our first trip in October 2011. Overall, we can for sure recommend this place which has just been upgraded to 5 Star Padi Dive Resort recently.

Divewise, the equipment is in good shape, the instructors are able to safely match different experienced divers’ requirements and with daily up to 4 dives offered, there is a lot fun involved for everyone to try (check out the fluo night dive). We just did our Advanced Open Water course here, real great experience.

Rooms are definitely acceptable in terms of cleanliness, size and equipment and if you consider the room rates, then its really fair deal.

Further, Blue Ribbon offers daily changing dinner buffet with good food & taste for a really reasonable price. We stayed 3 out of 4 evenings in the resort for dining. On top, they do have 2 Philippino live bands which do change every day as well, which seems to be not so common in other places

Thanks again to the team Jon, Julia, Marco, Baz & Ariel to make this again a great holiday and dive experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris-Kebe
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Great option for diving and to stay. Blue Ribbon has a large covered bar and dining area and the food is great, amongst the best I've had in the Phililppines (for what that's worth). They even have live music most nights. Julia and the rest of the staff make sure that you have everything you need and always have a smile on their faces.

The diving is fantastic and the team take great care of you, tailoring the day's diving around whatever you want to do, including trips to Verde, night dives and anything else you could want. Kit is all in top condition and Jon and Baz are excellent teachers for those looking to do courses.

Finally, the location is perfect, being close enough to Sabang, but not too close, such that you preserve some degree of tranquility. For the level of service and quality provided, it's ridiculously good value and I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else next time I go back to Puerto Galera.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms round the lovely garden would be fine, it's all very peaceful.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank DogRat
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Dec 30, 2011
17:50 GMT +8

Anytime I have a chance to hit the beach, rain or shine, I'm there!

Since I hate spending New Year's holiday in the MM (Metro Manila), and my wife said it was time for a (short) vacation, I suggested we head to Puerto Galera. I've been to White Beach several times, and it's the same old same old: congested local crowd, in-your-face-hawkers, unappealing fire dancers, and the "funky-gay-cabaret"?!.

This time I suggested we visit Sabang. I hadn't any referrals for the area, so I just checked some websites and online reviews. After we arrived, we just started walking up the beach and chanced upon Blue Ribbon. We checked out the last room they had available, and we were sold. Compared to other hotel/resorts in Sabang, we feel it is a great value. They're finishing up some renovations, however after checking out other Puerto Galera resorts, this place is one of the best values I found.

We plan to return next time with some friends and will definitely recommend Blue Ribbon!

~ mr & mrs. E

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeMarcaTours
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Just returned from my first trip to the Philippines and first proper dive vacation as well. Especially after getting a feel for the area (nearby Sabang), I'm so glad we ended up at Blue Ribbon. The location is fantastic and in a quieter, nicer area with easy access to the water, boats, and other places. The restaurant/bar/lounge area is open and comfortable, and the food is pretty good, although I wasn't as big of a fan of the buffets compared to the regular menu. There is also wifi outside in the common area.

We stayed in a bungalow that was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Hot water, AC, etc. I still had a bit of trouble with mosquitoes, but overall very satisfied with the accommodations and the level of attention and kindness from the staff.

The best part was definitely the diving. Our guides were friendly and knowledgeable, and willing to take us places we were interested in, weather/currents considered of course. It was nice to be able to dive so frequently with them over the course of a week, and they made it incredibly easy, from setting up our gear (which we brought with us), getting to the boat, switching out tanks, etc. As someone who trained in the cold waters off Catalina island and did almost entirely back hunching, long swimming shore dives off California, this was incredible and I had a great time focusing on the diving. Thanks to our guides and the boatmen for being so attentive and willing to do the heavy lifting, and making sure I didn't drop off the side of the boat prematurely from the tank weight (pretty sure I had a couple near accidents); everyone was really friendly and helpful and good company to go out on (and into) the water with.

Rental gear all looked in good condition. I also enjoyed the hot water shower outside as we cleaned off our stuff, and the big fluffy towels they had out on the counter.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lassiepaige
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I booked two connecting aircon rooms in a single bungalow for me, my wife and her daughter which was really practical whilst giving us some privacy.

For the price we paid, the rooms couldn't be faulted but don't get the idea that I'm making allowances - they would still have been good value at a much higher price (even by philippines standards)

The same goes for the food and drinks. We had the buffet two nights and a la carte the others and all the food was great. Breakfasts are especially good at php120 for the local option of eggs, rice and tocino pork. Looking around, it seemed the prices are amongst the lowest in sabang

As for the diving, I didn't even bother shopping around after I saw the rates and more importantly the first class condition of what all looked like new BCDs and regs

I think there were four of us on the first couple of dives plus
Baz who is an instructor rather than divemaster and knows exactly where to go and what to look for

On my second day there was a trip to verde island which I didn't take so I ended up with Baz to myself for the day. I dont know if that happens often or if I was just very lucky. It was a question of "what do I want to do and what time do I want to dive". I got the impression that most of their dives take a similar approach, with the group deciding what to do and when - and with 30+ dive sites there's plenty of choice. None of this "tomorrow it's such and such and be here on time or we go without you" that I've encountered elsewhere

I particularly recommend the fluo night dive with a blue torch and special filter on your mask to produce the most incredible colours

All the staff,diving or not, are very welcoming and incredibly friendly and helpful.

The place was very quiet at night but it's only 5 mins walk to sabang if you want the nightlife which is family / married friendly with just a couple of discreet "girlie" bars

One final note is that I read some horror stories about the Batangas pier experience but it was absolutely fine - no hassle at all. I think the port authority must have clamped down on the hawkers and "fixers"

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Steve7145
Reviewed December 10, 2011

The place has changed somewhat from the last time I had stayed there. The refurbishments have added to what was an already cool place to stay, dive and hang out. I was there for 3D,2N

The staff are friendly and knowledgeable. They're always down for a chat and are ready to assist with anything.

The buffets are impressive (and cheap, go strong AUD!) and just the thing after a full days diving. I like the custom grill orders. One time, my breakfast came out slow and the staff had to be prompted to find out what was going on.

Divewise, there's a hot shower to rinse off and the gear is still good. Im still hangin out for Verde Island. Saw 3 turtles in just 2 dives. Usual mass nudis. Ask the dive shop owner Jon to point out the blue electric ziz zag clams! It'll make your dive just to see them!!

Keep an eye out for the LED lights and lasers in front of the store at night time, playing on the water and boats. It looks trippy.

I'll be back again soon. Thanks for a fun time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo