“Disappointment” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dream Hill Condos
Rocklin, California
“Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

There were several choices in Puerto Galera, but we booked with dream hills condo because of the rave reviews that the owner received on the scuba diving lessons he provides to the guest. After booking it, I then called the owner, Alf, 2 months before we arrived to advice of our stay & the desire for scuba diving lessons. I then told him that we wanted to change the # of people from 4 people to 6 & was to pay the additional people when we get there. He then said that the only room that would accommodate us comfortably would be the big suit @ 861 sq foot because the 2 bedroom condo was only 699 sq feet & will be too small. We were all very excited as it seems to be a good size accommodation. When we got to Batangas, I called Alf, the owner & he then advised me that he wasn't in the island & was in Manila, needless to say, the disappointment starts. The 861 sq foot suite was on a steep decline that it was hard to get to & with my bad back had to settle on the 699 sq ft suite. I understand paying for the additional people had I stayed on the bigger suite (861 sq ft) cause it's more comfortable but since we downsized & space was cramp for 6 people, I didn't think I’d be expected to pay for the additional people to the tune of Php 500.00 per person per night - additioinal PHP 2000.00 for our stay on a smaller unit. Though the views were gorgeous getting to town was very hard as it’s only though motorcycles or going down some slippery steps. Had to do that several times to eat & we did get scuba diving lessons in the town proper.
The only saving grace on this stay was that the 2 ladies made our stay very comfortable, i gave it 1 star becasue of the 2 ladies otherwise would have been 0. Personally, would NOT recommend dream hills condo.

Room Tip: Would suggest staying closer to town, all the food, activities are there.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PuertogaleraDiver, Owner at Dream Hill Condos, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Hi
Sad to understand that you were not happy.

Informing us is a very much recommended and much of this would have been different.
Scuba diving is why I decided to stay here and a I would have waited here and taken you diving if that was Informed to me in your reservation request. I simply did not know and made other plans.
We recommend our guest to reserve correct number of guest so rates will be clear and agreed in advance. Coming with more guests then reserved results in a 500peso/person extra charge per night and angry guests.
It happened to you and as well the other upset guest writing a negative review.
Reserving an apartment on the hill is not recommended for persons with health problems and I would have advised against your stay here if you asked me.
It was your decision to change apartment to a smaller one with 2 bedrooms but with a better view over Sabang.
We did our best to help out but apparently it was not enough.

Recommendation for future guests:
Please inform yourself and us in advance so we have time to prepare rooms, scuba diving, SPA or other requests that you may have including arrangements for birthdays, weddings…..

Alf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bruges, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed 8 nights at Dream Hill Condos and I was extremely happy with my stay ! The owners and staff are such fantastic people, offering great service and hospitality ! Resident manager Alf is both a great dive instructor and a very nice and interesting person ! He made me feel very comfortable while diving and he took me on some simply amazing dives ! He's also a man who travelled a lot and it was great to share nice moments with him, his family and friendly staff.
My 2-bedroom apartment was large and well equipped (including decent kitchen). Ok, don't expect brand new and architectural design equipment and furniture (although there was a very new and large flatscreen Tv and DVD-player in my room !) but in exchange you'll get a very spacious and comfortable unit, a large balcony and truly amazing views !
During my stay the taifun Haiyan hit the Philippines. Fortunately eastern Mindoro wasn't affected that much, but still some very heavy winds hit the area. It was remarkable how Alf and the staff took every possible precaution to cope with the taifun and maintain the clients comfort ! A generator provided electricity, bar and restaurant remained open, warm water remained available, etc.
Every possible demand was dealt with. Be it renting a decent motorbike at an affordable rate, organizing dive trips (one of Alf specialities being a very experienced dive instructor !), offering some interesting hikes, or a great dive&BBQ-trip !
Another great bonus is the new Roman Spa ! This was a truly superb experience ! It's a very well designed place within the property ! I really enjoyed a wonderful afternoon : a fantastic scrubbing followed by one of the best massages I ever had ! Great atmosphere, great music, and professional and dedicated staff ! Waw !
I feel grateful for a great stay and superb hospitality !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Martin_R_J
Hi Martin.
Thank you so much for a great time.
All of us here are looking forward to a next time.
alf
Warwick
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

We rented a two-bedroom apartment for a couple of nights after looking at the pictures and reading reviews,  only to find it wasn't all what it was cracked up to be.

The Pros
The views are absolutely lovely, overlooking Sabang and the bay, the view was very lovely to wake up too. The apartment was very spacious and will happily sleep 4-6 people and there was a keg of filtered water.

The Cons
Where do I start? On walking in, the furnishings looked very dated, tired and the sofa especially had a fair few stains on it. The cupboards in the kitchenette hadn't been clean properly or at all. There was a strong stench from the toilet and I couldn't understand why. There were a great deal of ants around and a lot of the light fittings either needed replacing or at least some form of maintenance. The towels although they smelt nice, needed to be replaced as they looked old and worn. The matress was rock hard and the pillows were no better, so a goodnight sleep wasn't really an option. The shower was also abysmal as all it was was only a trickle of water, hot water though so not all bad.

Overall it just didn't seem to match the price we paid, especially for supposedly three star accommodation. I'm not sure what other places in Sabang/Puerto Galera are like but if this is rated at the top, I'm unimpressed by the whole place. Having stayed in a fair few three establishments here in the Philippines, I thought I knew what I was getting booking in here but obviously not. On a side note, it's on a very steep hill so if you've got mobility problems you mat struggle.

It almost felt like although the owner has got big plans for expansion, the existing property is being overlooked which is a shame as it has got potential to be such a great place to stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
PuertogaleraDiver, Owner at Dream Hill Condos, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Hi
The apartment is still the same as others reviewers stayed in and liked so much.
It is recently upgraded last year including the sofa and mattresses
He seemed to be very happy as well and extended a one night stay to 3 nights.

Alf
Quezon City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

About our overall experience, we'd have to say we'd be more than willing to stay here all over again. Unparalleled coziness for 3 days and 2 nights (September 23-25 2013). The staff treated us with remarkable hospitality and with such courtesy we had never been shown before in all our prior vacations. The food was certainly, very delectable and very much more worth than the price. Dream Hill condos is the place to be for folks who wish to make their Puerto Galera vacation very stress-free.
The little highlight of our stay was our Roman Spa experience. It ought to be called just that, and fittingly so because the experience was apt for the ancient Roman gods!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Boracay, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Can't beat the service, family style treatment, views, and accommodations -especially for the value! Contact or ask the friendly owner who will gladly pick you up and/or drop you off. Reasonable food and beverage prices at the restaurant with an excellent view. Spacious and well located apartment style units provide both the comforts of home as well as breathtaking views. An easy reach by motorbike (about 15-20 pisos each way is a fair price or rent a motorbike for 300-400 pisos per day). Markets nearby if you are on a budget in the center of town just a few minutes up or down the hill. My accomodations were air conditioned, had hot and cold showers with toilets, a refrigerator, flat screens with usb hookups for portable devices, dvd players, burners for cooking, a sink, utencils, a cutting board, etc. The unit was given water through the owner's on site well so you didn't have to worry about either water quality or the ability to obtain water. He also provided free clean drinking water without request as a courtesy. Sabang is great for both divers, night life, and families looking to enjoy a great time and view. You can also take a motorbike to the other side of the island to view waterfalls, white beach, and other beautiful coves to enjoy sun, white sand, crystal clear waters, swimming and/or diving.

Room Tip: If you have a family of 4 or more adults the two bedroom is a good value and very spacious.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at Dream Hill Condos, a beautiful apartment complex in the hills of Sabang that look out over both the gorgeous blue waters and smoky mountains. In particular, Leia and her crew were wonderful – I felt at home and cared for and I loved both her garden and cooking! One can sit and relax at sunset, drink a beer, talk politics with Alf or perhaps go on a snorkeling or hiking trip organized by Alf and Leia takes care of all of the wonderful food for amazing picnics out in nature. If you want to cook and have some time on your own the apartments have nice kitchenettes and TV sitting areas. Getting to the condo is half the fun; one gets to know the people and beauty of areas of Sabang that are off the tourist path, as you meander up the hill to Dream Hill Condo. Or take a bike if you’re tired; it’s only 50 cents! If you want to stay for a short or long time, please consider staying in this beautiful space!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

If your going to Sabang..Stay here!! My fiance and I decided to cancel our batangas trip in lieu of staying in Sabang..we found Dream Hill Condos on the internet, contacted the Swedish Owner, Alf, who met and picked us up from the boat dock. He was very friendly and welcoming. We drove to the top of the hill and what we found was beyond what words can describe, but ill try... breath taking, hands down the best view of the island, peacful and relaxing..staying here for honeymoon in september. . Great food, great price, great atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2013