“The dive masters made the 12 hour flight worth it!”

Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera
Ranked #1 of 63 Puerto Galera B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Although this was my first trip to the Philippines, I have traveled around the South Pacific on numerous dive trips, and the dive masters at Atlantis were by far the best!!! Always aiming to please, you could simply request to see any animal and they knew where to take you. Not only are all of the dive sites within a 5 minute boat ride (not a typical feature of many dive resorts), but every single one was absolutly amazing. All of the staff was friendly, and the food was also tasty. This resort was all about the diving, but the bar and pool area were also not to be missed. I would definitly recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: September 2009
2  Thank efox33

Reviewed May 3, 2009

Same process as other travelers; arrive in Manila, driver to the port 3 hours away and a boat ride to the island.
The rooms are over priced...I would never ever recommend anyone to stay at Atlantis Beach Resort for the fee they charged....25~40 bucks a day is a fair price to pay. We learned our lesson the hard way.
All else was fine, diving, etc. But, bring your own gear and DO NOT pay for the tech's air!
Everytime you turn around,,,it's the "extras" that tuened me off. The big turn off is the hotel rate.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hawaii69813
Reviewed December 26, 2008

My girlfriend and I arrived in Manilla on the 19th of December 2008, where a driver in a van was contracted from the resort to pick us up and, drive us to the Batonga, to cross over to Puerto Galera byy boat. This transit from the airport to Batonga lasted ((((4)))) grueling hours in and through the Manilla traffic. Blame it on traffic or whatever, I WAS LONG! We crossed over to Puerto Galera in the dead of night, with trailing winds and considerable swells. Once on the resort we were greeted by most pleasant and polite locals and staff from the Atlantis resort. Upon our arrival, they handed us a welcome drink, great meal and, a 15 minutes complimentary massage. NOW it gets interesting! Upon waking the following morning, the sky was overcast, and every day after that. The diving was average to good, visibility at more or less 10 meters. On a couple of occasions while coming back from a dive, it poured CATS and DOGS! Ok, so far we can't blame the weather on the resort but, it is rather disapointing. The other down side of this holiday to Atlantis dive resort, aside from it being pricey, is their constant little extras, AND their constant hinting of these extra expenses. Drinks are not included, so every time you have one, you'll end up signing a little note and you'll get a charge at the end of your stay. God forbit if you have a large appetite, because their portions are rediculous! I'm a westerner for crying out loud, WE EAT! Mind you both my girlfriend and I are health nuts, so we eat extremelly well and stay trim and fit. If you ask for seconds, there's more little notes to sign! If you decide to have a large salad, WELL, don't hope to get any side dishes with your main course meal. Again, if you ask for a little more, you'll probably be looked as if you were some sort of allien! I dive rebreather, so it was a given that I'd see and receive extra charges for my tech diving. Here's for you tech buddies out there (((((((((((((BRING LOTS AND LOTS OF CASH!!!!)))))) We all know Helium is expensive, but robery is the word of choice over here!!!! On top of which, YOU have to pay for the tech guide's boat ride ($40.00 USD per dive) YOU have to pay for the tech guide's GASES...........remember the Helium guys! As for the Sofnolime.................($21.00 USD per Kilo.......2.5 Kilos in my MEG!!!!) Get the picture so far???? Need a stage? prepare the USDs. Basically ANYTHING you'll need has a price. Nothing wrong for extra pricing when Tech diving, BUT let's keep it reasonable. The administrative staff will hint AND make references to TIPING!!! No problem with that either, but for crying out loud, constant reminders in subtle ways, MAKES THIS RESORT LOOK AND FEEL CHEAP! Please understand that the working staff are exraordinarily friendly AND kind AND helpful. The way this resort is ran reflects on the administrators and owners. My girlfriend and I have travelled through the Carribean and most of it's Islands, we have yet to come accross a resort with this level of annoying service. Cost per night per person......$200.00 USD. Rooms are over rated, the resort is cute at night when it's all lit up, but certainly NOT worth the $200.00 USD. Those if you who travelled in and around other resorts AND end up at Atlantis Philipinnes will relate. All in all it was average as a destination, leaning towards the disapointment. If you want my opinion............Go elsewhere. Oh, and just one more thing, I'd rather Atlantis charge me an extra $1000.00 USD per stay, AND LEAVE ME ALONE WITH THEIR LITTLE NOTES AND MENTIONS OF THEIR PATHETIC EXTRAS!! They're a pain in the....

Best of luck on you choices.

• Stayed: December 2008
6  Thank lavaltechdiver
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I have just returned from 10 days at the Atlantis resort and had a fantastic time.
The staff were very friendly and would bend over backwards to help you.
Food was superb. My wife is a rather fussy eater and found something enjoyable at every meal time. I am not a fussy eater and I found the selection great and varied. Nothing was too much for the kitchen or waiting staff and they would adjust dishes to suit individual tastes if required.
Diving was great with excellent guides.
Room was great with plenty of hot water and AC that was very efficient.
My only complaint was the transfer from the airport and that is not the fault of the hotel.
A fantastic holiday.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank grj342010
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My wife and I were very impressed overall with the resort. The rooms are somewhat basic, but better than most "dive resorts". We had one of the Executive Suites so we had a little more room to spread out, but a whole lot more steps to climb (87 from the front desk). The resort is on a beach filled with other dive resorts as well as vendors passing on the beach, and sidewalk which passes through the resort itself. While the vendors are a bit annoying, they are not allowed on premises so you can escape if you so desire. The food was outstanding for a dive resort, and very good over all. The bar has a variety of mixes, but the bartenders did not impress me with how their drink making abilities.....except for the "Mindoro Sling" ( a twist on the Singapore Sling except with Rum) which was pretty good. Also the drinks were a little expensive considering you are in the Philippines. Nevertheless the staff was friendly, and went out of their way to know you by name.

As for the Diving........This was some of the best diving I have ever done. Pay the extra money to go to Verde Island. The Drop Off there is one of the best dive sites you will ever see. Also if the current is not too strong ask to go to the Washing Machine (also on Verde Island), the coral canyons are indescribable. The Dive staff is proficient, friendly, and safety conscious. You will be given a good brief before every dive, and they will stick to the plan. If you are not that experienced a diver they will take you to the right spots and help you. All of the diving we did there was fantastic, even the "easier" diving spots were phenomenal. Also the staff will carry your gear, and help you put it on for every dive. It is a service oriented dive resort.

It is a trek to get to from Manilla it is a 3 hour drive to a 1 1/2 hour boat ride, but well worth the journey. The resort does a little bit of nickle and diming you over some of the items water in your room is $1.00 a bottle and the tap water is undrinkable so they kind of have you at a disadvantage, but we bought a large jug of water at the local store for about $1.50 and filled our smaller bottles with that. Overall I would recommend this to any divers out there, but probably not for non divers.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank bluestraverler
Reviewed August 30, 2008

atlantis has a great dive operation for the diver who wants everything in one site. staff is always ready to help[ and the food was also tops.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank CaliforniaDiverdan
Reviewed August 11, 2008

What a fantastic place!!! Incredibly friendly staff who all know you by name, great food, great bar and great diving. It really is a wonderful place. I ended up extending my stay as I had such a good time and I wish I could have stayed longer. There is no doubt I will be back again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo