“Review of dive operation, not hotel”

Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera
Ranked #2 of 53 Puerto Galera B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We did not stay here, but dove here many times during our 10 day trip to Puerto Galera. A friend recommended them, and we were so happy to dive with them. Great staff, helpful crew, amazing underwater sights. The dive masters were knowledgable and happy to lead guided tours! We did not stay here, as we had rented an apartment outside of town. Initially, we stopped by Capt Gregg's, but they were more expensive and just not very organized. So happy to find Atlantis. Diving with them saved our entire trip to the Philippines ! We ate at the restaurant several times, as it was convenient between dives. A bit more expensive than others around, but very good and worth it. There are hawkers everywhere... Nothing to do about it, but say "no, thank you" over and over and over. Just keep smiling!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Hi Jstarr and thank you for your excellent review. We are very glad that you joined us based on your friend’s recommendation ☺. Our dive guides do indeed lead every dive, and we strive to maintain a ratio of 6 divers per dive boat with 1 dive guide to show them our amazing sites. As a PADI 5 Star Gold Palm Resort, our dive center is premier in Puerto Galera and we hope on your next visit you will also have the opportunity to stay with us in addition to dining and diving.

There are newer reviews for Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera

Reviewed June 26, 2014

This resort deserves more than 5 stars. The staff is composed of some of the nicest, friendliest, happiest, most hard working people I've ever met. They go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

The food is tasty! Rhendo and Eric and the rest of the restaurant staff catered to our every need. The chefs were accomodating to special meal requests, even if it wasn't on the menu.

The dive and boat crews worked so hard from sunrise til well after sunset to make our dives so easy and relaxing. Dive shop manager Kris runs a very well-organized team! Dive briefings included a sketch of the dive site, a complete dive plan, what kind of current to expect, and what critters to look for. Bai and the boat crew made sure our equipment, our tanks, and all of us made it on and off the boat. All we really had to do was put on our gear (in the boat) and backroll into the water. Easy Peasy!

I can't say enough good things about our Dive Masters for the week, Cris and PJ. They were awesome! They were fun and funny, safe and professional. After diving 4-5 dives a day we were all a little tired and chilly by the end of the week. Not these guys though! They were just as enthusiastic on Friday as they were the previous Sunday. They are also little critter experts! From nudibranchs to the pygmy seahorse to the electric clam and everything in between - you name it, they will find it. Added bonus - If you're into photography, PJ is your man!

We all enjoyed a few evenings at 50 Bar with bartender/DJ Ton-Ton. Very funny guy, and he knew our drink orders before we even sat down.

I can't even begin to describe the incredible diving in the area. I was so overwhelmed by all of the beautiful, bright colors. Every dive site had something new and different to see. The Pinnacle at Verde Island has become my favorite dive site of all time.

The resort is great and the diving is amazing, but it's the staff that made our trip so memorable, the staff who made it so hard to leave, and the staff who make me want to go back!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angela T
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

We love that you would give us more than 5 stars! We want every guest to have a memorable trip and it looks like we succeeded again. I know I can speak for our entire staff Angela when I say we genuinely appreciate your excellent review ☺ Looking forward to your return, because you “arrive as a guest…leave as a friend”.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I recently spend a week on the Atlantis Azores diving the Tubbataha reef and stopped for a few days in Puerto Galera afterwards. It was a good contrast in diving and accomodations. I love the food that the Atlantis resorts offer. You choose your entrée, salad, soup etc. so you get what you want. All the food I had was really good. The diving was great here. It was a lot different than Tubbataha, but it was really very good. I did my 500th dive here and we went to see a Pygmy seahorse for it. They celebrated the accomplishment on my last night so it was really special. I was not here long enough to schedule a trip to Verde Island so I missed out on some of their best know diving but I got a good sampling of the local dive sites. There is a lot of small stuff here. There are the tiny like a bobtail squid, a pygmy scorpionfish and dozens of varieties of nudibranchs and there are other things like octopus, cuttlefish, flambouyant cuttlefish, electric clams and several varieties of eels. I saw giant morays, white-eyed morays, fimbriated morays and snowflake morays and more. That is quite a variety in 2 days of diving. There are frog fish, anemone fish, pipefish, ornate ghost pipefish, mantis shrimp, thorny seahorses, devil fish, pygmy seahorses, pegasus fish, stone fish, etc... The variety was impressive and loads of fun with a camera.

The resort is right in the middle of the town. You approach from the water and you see wall to wall dive shops, restaurants and resorts. I was immediately concerned about crowded dive sites but that was not much of an issue at all. The only thing that I found a bit odd was there seemed to be a public alley that went right through the middle of the resort. You walk in by the 50 Bar (the bar at the resort) and there is a dive shop & briefing area. Then you cross this alleyway. After that, you find the restaurant, front desk & dive gear storage & rinse area. The pool and rooms are beyond that. It was a different layout but it seemed to work fine. The rooms were really nice and the beds comfortable. I expected it to be noisy but it was very quiet. If you are looking for great diving and some possibilities for nightlife, this would be a perfect place for you. It also worked well as a laid back quiet place to rest up after diving. Getting there is a bit of a journey. A 2 hour van ride & a 1 hour boat ride from Manila. If you have just come in from a 24 hour grueling flight & airport saga from the US, it would be a long ride. However, most of my favorite diving is achieved after an unbelievably long and hard trek on a plane, van, boat or whatever. It is usually worth it to be off the beaten track. I would definitely recommend trying out the Atlantis Resort at Puerto Galera.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

We love that you had a chance to see so much of the wonderful underwater life found in Puerto Galera during your short stay with us – and congrats on your 500th dive Sunkeytravel! Puerto Galera is quite a populous area and we’re glad that you found our resort to be quiet, laid back, restful, and well worth the journey to get there. We greatly appreciate your excellent recommendation.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed in June 2014. Excellent dive operation and DM's. The rooms were basic and clean. The restaurant food was good but what's up with the coffee in the mornings. On several days it was well over 1/2 hour from the time we asked for coffee until it was delivered and FORGET about a second cup. They acted like they didn't want anyone to order coffee. That's really the only complaint I have but as Charlie Brown says - good grief!

Room Tip: The higher rooms have a better view but cost more.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

We are so sorry to hear about the terrible coffee service DeputyDan, and please be assured that this is not a usual occurrence for our guests. But with that being said, we wanted to make sure that no one is ever delayed in getting their morning java fix and Sebastiaan, our resort manager has made sure that our restaurant staff has been counseled and retrained on this matter. Very glad that the rest of your stay was excellent and we appreciate your 5 star rating.☺

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Wife and I came here in mid-May. I am a diver and she is not. The staff was so friendly and welcoming. Diving was superb and the dive staff was beyond helpful. Spa services were excellent. We were here for out anniversary and the restaurant staff treated us to a lovely table and even made us a cake with our names, the # years, etc. Even the room was decorated for our anniversary. Every staff member was great, from the front desk, the restaurant, housekeeping, spa services, transportation. They all knew us by name and went out of their way to accommodate any special need. Can't wait to come back. ....Bob and Kathy

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room, next to the spa (no steps and close to everything).
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Please also let me say Happy Anniversary Bob and Kathy and we’re all delighted that you chose to celebrate it with us! So glad you both felt our entire staff was great (being one diver and one non-diver) and the pictures you included in your excellent review are lovely – thank you. We’ll look forward to your return visit – and if it is not your next anniversary, then we’ll surely find something else to celebrate with you ☺

Reviewed June 11, 2014

The best dive shop in the island, crew/DM/instructors are super pofessional, you can dive wthough any worry and they will just take care of you.

The resort itself is clean, comfortable - well in Phillippines I would like to say it's quite at a upper level, and the food is amazing - we've been to other restaurants in the island but still think the food served at the hotel is the best.

I've been in Atlantis in Aprial and then I went back in Jun with my boyfriend for his AOW certificate. Rusty is our instructor and his perfect! All DM in the resort are resposible, nice and helpful: Chris, P.J, Thax, Larry....well I can't name them all but they'e really make me relax and enjoy the diving vacations here.

Tips: must go the Verde island! The best dive sites in the neibourhood!

Room Tip: You can email the resort to check the package for full-board or half-board first, the foods are good...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Welcome back Isabelle and thank you for your excellent review and for visiting us again. Our dive masters clearly are very professional and responsible, and in fact, they just completed their annual Dive Team Rescue Training this past week. Our entire staff really does want you to relax and enjoy your vacation with us and we too are looking forward to you coming back – again ☺

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I spent 9 days at this resort with a group of 8 others from Toucan Dive in May 2014 and had a fantastic time. The resort was wonderful and close to the nightlife. The food is excellent and the staff will do their utmost to accommodate your every whim. The street vendors can be a little bothersome, but certainly less so than in other locations. Our dive guides, Thax and Chris, were knowledgeable, attentive and always fun to be with. I can't wait for my next trip to Atlantis Puerto Galera!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

We love it when we hear our guests say they can’t wait to come back! That means we are doing exactly what we are suppose to be doing! We greatly appreciate your excellent review James – and we’re all looking forward to the return of the Toucan Dive group as well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Galera
El Galleon Beach Resort & Hotel
El Galleon Beach Resort & Hotel
#14 of 52 in Puerto Galera
Manarra Seaview Resort

Been to Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera? Share your experiences!