“great diving operation”

Ranked #2 of 52 Puerto Galera B&B and Inns
CALIFORNIA
“great diving operation”
Reviewed August 30, 2008

atlantis has a great dive operation for the diver who wants everything in one site. staff is always ready to help[ and the food was also tops.

• Liked — the diving
  • Disliked — the rooms are located on the side of a hill. some rooms are 60+ steps up. but the view was great
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank CaliforniaDiverdan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bristol
Reviewed August 11, 2008

What a fantastic place!!! Incredibly friendly staff who all know you by name, great food, great bar and great diving. It really is a wonderful place. I ended up extending my stay as I had such a good time and I wish I could have stayed longer. There is no doubt I will be back again.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — A bit quirky
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank matt180881
Denver
Reviewed June 10, 2008

We returned to Atlantis this May, looking forward to catch up with all the great peoples who made our stay so exceptional in 2007,

Anticipation quickly turned to disappointment as we hoped to congratulate Matt, we knew that by now he should have been a father, instead we were given a monotonic and even icy welcome from a German girl whom we can't recall the name.

next was lunchtime,and again,we had looked forward to catch up with the chef,David.
it appears that David has followed Matt in moving on,although it wasn't easy to find out from anyone within the resort as to what the situation really was.
as it turned out,we did catch up with David at his new Restaurant that sits just on the outskirt of Sabang.

to our great relief,the diving has remained unchanged and still offers the friendliest and accommodating staff we've holidayed with.

all in all,Atlantis remains above most resorts ,but if key members who used to be "the soul" of Atlantis keep on moving-on,it will soon slump to being as bland as their competitors.

we'll probably return next year but will opt for a half board this time and explore around a bit more.

• Liked — the diving
  • Disliked — the disappointing changes
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank SueZuky
KlamathFalls, OR
Reviewed May 12, 2008

My wife and I are avid divers. We stayed there for 1 week on an underwater photography expidition and were very impressed.
Pros:
1. Outstanding food
2. Excellent diving. Probably one of the best dive sites in the world (in my opinion)
3. Very comfortable, clean rooms
4. Friendly staff
Cons:
1. Very difficult to get to. Requires a 2+ hour bus ride over fairly bumpy roads and a 1 hour boat ride to get to.
2. Right downtown in a small city. The hawkers really can bug you. "Only five dolla "!
3. The dive operation itself must receive mixed reviews. The operation keeps a keen eye on all the divers, with lots of restrictions. Some like this baby sitting. I don't. The divemasters and boat men were very nice and friendly, however.
4. I'm not sure how families and non-divers would like it. Probably not much to do other than dive.

I can't comment on the price, since we went with a group. We picked up a rate sheet from the front desk and this quotes a rate of $124.00 a night PER PERSON, which seems really steep to me, even though it included transportation and diving! However, I notice substantially cheaper rates on line.

Dan Benson

• Liked — GREAT diving
  • Stayed April 2008
5 Thank jsdive
Shanghai
Reviewed April 10, 2008

Went here with my girlfriend in April 2008. Paid $200 USD / day including meals, but not drinks. The hotel is cozy and friendly, but not luxurious by any means. The rooms have no view, are a bit musty, and are not on the beach. The nearest beach has no sand, only boats, and the nearest sandy beach (15 mintues walk) is rough and tiny. The town and hotel were filled with hookers at all times, and there were way to many people in our face hawking stuff.

Sure, the food and service were good, but this place is twice the price of the other highest end resorts in the area, and this was not even peak season. If I had paid half the price, It would have been acceptable, but at this price no way. If I had to go back to Puerto Galera, Coco Beach looked nice, and a man I met said it was much cheaper.

• Liked — The Food
  • Disliked — The Price
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank calben99
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 15, 2008

I am torn between writing an honest review about how incredible this place is,and toning it down to avoid encouraging people to visit and overcrowd it which may lead to an inevitable price hike. But what the hell - I guess honesty is the best policy:
The service, atmosphere, food, diving and overall experience that we were provided with at Atlantis resort has me lost for words. The staff are incredible - We got to know each one of them, and each one was doing everything they could to make our holiay amazing. The diving instructors and divemasters are top notch - I would highly recommend taking advantage. There are 4 dives and a night dive that run each day, and you just sign up for them on the board, whack your wetsuit on, get briefed by the divemaster and jump on the boat. Forget about your tank and BCD, they will be waiting for you!
The food... ah, the food. Perhaps my biggest regret about the holiday was organising a half-board package. Before going to Puerto Galera, my friends and I thought that often for dinner we might like to go around the island and find new places to eat. Forget it! The food at Atlantis is second to none, and varied enough to not get sick of. We ended up eating there every meal anyway and just paying for the extra meal a day.
If I had three miniscule criticisms, and honestly they are far outweighed, they would be the following:
1. It's a long trip to get there from Manila - 2.5 hours at least in the van, and another 1.5 hours by boat. Perfectly comfortable, but allow half a day. Although it's a matter of opinion, I would say you would want to be staying there at least 5 nights to make the travel worthwhile.
2. The resort-run dives are a little expensive. We negotiated a better rate prior to booking so that may be worth trying for. I think the current published rate is USD$37.50 plus equipment per dive, which would definitely add up over a few days, and
3. (this isn't really a criticism, just an amusing warning) The rooms, despite being perfectly comfortable, are completely bizzare! We stayed in a flinstone house, which was upgraded to a seaview flinstones room. I don't know who came up with this design, but in Australian mentality, I would say it is more than a little tacky. It is actually designed like the Flinstones' house ( you know Ned, Wilma, Barney etc). But on the upside, yelling out 'Willlllllllllllllllmmmaa' in the shower really never got old.
Anyway, I think I have been fairly clear - go to Atlantis, dive, eat, have a drink at the '50 bar', and say hi to the crew for us.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
7 Thank mikey_br
Houston,Texas
Reviewed January 10, 2008

We just returned from a wonderful vacation at this resort with a group of 10 people from a local dive shop. After flying into Manila it was a harrowing 3 hour taxi ride to Batangas City. (Note: be sure to utilize the rest stops and take tissues) The taxi takes you right to the shore where you board one of the local boats to take you on a slow 1 hour boat ride to the town of Sabang. (The resort is not located in Puerto Galera proper.)
Upon our arrival we were greeted by the managers and given a complimentary juice drink. They informed us of the details of our stay and passed out keys. Then we were treated to complimentary neck & shoulder massages from the hotel massage therapists. After that, we ate dinner in the hotel restaurant while our bags were delivered to our rooms.
(Note: This hotel is built on a hillside and the rooms are numbered in an odd fashion. Dont assume because you have room 1 that you on the first floor. We had room 7 which was several floors up and it took 60 steps to get from the gound level to our room. There is no elevator! However, rooms 24 & 25 were right on ground level next to the pool & restaurant. Go figure.)
The hotel itself is well maintained. We saw lots of routine maintenance being done while we were there and everything was in good working condition. The only issues we had with the room was the bed. The bed and pillows are very firm foam and they are covered with thin sheets. If you are accustomed to a 18in inner spring mattress with memory foam you may find them uncomfortable. I oftened wished I had brought my own pillow. In addition, the AC worked very well and this made the thin sheet uncomfortably cold for me. The hotel had thicker blankets but they were already being used by other guests.
(Note: the bathroom has an open air vent to the outside. It is helpful to keep this door shut at night for 2 reasons: it keeps the warm air out and you won't hear the roosters early in the morning.) Another tip: The tap water is non-potable. If you are on one of the upper floors, go buy a large bottle of water at Rosies' store right next to the hotel and keep it in your room so you dont have to go up and down all the stairs just for a drink of water. There is a mini bar in the room if you want to pay top dollar for the same items you can get at Rosie's.

Our package included meals in the hotel restaurant. The food was delicious and there was plenty of it. You could take the buffet menu or special order. There is a whole other menu at the bar that includes pizza and pasta. Be sure to check it out too.
People from all over the world stay at this hotel and the chef does a good job of making sure there is something for everyone.

The dive operation was quite good. We were a little disappointed in the size of the dive lockers. Some of the pictures on the internet made it look more spacious than it really was. When everyone was trying to get ready at the same time it was crowded and the worst part was that there was no where to sit down to put your suit on. After getting dressed and getting gear together you cross the main walkway through town. This was slightly annoying because the street hawkers were always standing there trying to sell you something even though you were obviously going diving. (Tip: Do not make eye contact if you are not interested.) Once you cross the walkway, you gather in the beachfront bar/dive shop area to get your briefing then wade out to the boat, load up and go. The dive sites are all just minutes, some seconds, away. You return to the resort after each dive so there is no need for a boat bag, water or other extra stuff. The diving itself was just beautiful. Lots of healthy corals in a riot of colors. This place is especially good for those into macro photog. Not so much for those interested in big pelagics.
There were tons of crinoids, nudibranchs, frogfish, starfish, & seahorses. We saw a giant turtle and giant clams.
We also saw 3 sea snakes which we were told was rare there.
After diving you can leave your gear on the boat if you are doing another dive or take it inside. There are plenty of rinse tanks available and a hot shower, although it gets busy after a dive.

When not diving be sure to take a trip to the golf course and/or reptile zoo at the top of the island. The views are spectacular.

• Liked — Diving, People, Service, Food
  • Disliked — bedding
  • Stayed January 2008