“Excellent!”

Ranked #2 of 52 Puerto Galera B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Excellent!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had no idea what to expect when I arrived but was quickly and pleasantly surprised by the welcome back rub. the resort was a fine oiled machine. Everything ran smoothly, all needs and desires attended to. The spa.....OMG!!!! I would go back just for that!
The diving ......another OMG!!! I would go back just for that!

The ONLY thing that detracted was being right smack in the middle of town but they seemed to have come to an understanding with the street sellers.

The food, dive boats, dive guides, dive sites, spa workers, just everyone was so great.

Our group spent 7 days here then on to Dumaguete for another week of diving.

Room Tip: gound floor for easy access, top floors for great views (but you're not in your room much)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were a walk in to this resort and I am so glad we did. The staff was excellent upon are arrival (the welcome drinks and free massage while registering helped), and the dive master Kris, attended to all our needs to ensure we received the best accommodations. He also made sure that are dive records were received and set us up on the most incredible diving experiences ever. This resort is well run and all staff are operating on the same page to ensure that your stay is totally enjoyable. Friendly smiles greet you every morning and throughout your stay. The decor of the hotel and rooms is unique and relaxing. Full services for any traveler are available at a good value. The dining is excellent with a great selection of wines to compliment the expertly prepared meals. The dive staff and crew adhere to the resort's dive philosophy to provide you with a safe and enjoyable dive experience, no matter what your level. All dive services are first class with first class dive masters who enjoy their work and make the best effort for you to experience all the area has to offer underwater. The front desk staff is well informed and ready to provide for the travelers' needs. Highly recommended you plan your stay here. There are plenty of other activities provided or available from the resort to please both the diver and non-divers of your party including children.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Auburn, California
Reviewed July 4, 2013

A friend of mine had referred me to Atlantis in Puerto Galera. I'm not really a upper-end dive resort kind of diver, I usually prefer to be on smaller boats and prefer not to commit to any particular dive outfit. I also travel with very little dive gear, usually just my dive mask these days, because any credible dive shop should have quality gear to rent.
I was staying at another dive resort that was really good, but they were booked on some of the days that I was still in P.G. I recalled the recommendation that my friend gave to to check out Atlantis, so I stopped in and inquired about diving with them initially.
I first met Thax, I think he is probably the lead divemaster and I immediately felt comfortable talking with him. Although I was not currently staying with Atlantis, Thax invited me to dive with them and see what I though. He was very friendly and introduced me to the dive staff and set me up with dive rental gear. I was already very impressed with the dive setup at Atlantis. The divemasters, P.J.,Baila, Chris, were really easy to get along with and unpretentious too, dive boats in great shape and the dive rental gear was all brand new.
After a couple of days diving with Atlantis, I then inquired if they had an available room for the rest of my time in P.G. I was shown a great room, at what to me seemed like a fair price. The hotel staff were all very kind and professional as well. The receipts were all itemized and at the end of my stay, Alan, the head of diving operations came to thank me personally for staying and diving with Atlantis. I was really impressed! I left Atlantis feeling great about deciding to stay and dive with them and I look forward to joining them again in the future! Thank you Atlantis!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank oceantroy
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This place is an incredible resort! Philippines was on my bucket list and I'm sooo happy I got there while it is still a secret to so much of the world! The 'MUCK' diving is incredible. I was able to see creatures I've been looking for my whole life. The food at Atlantis is phenomenal. When you get to the resort, you talk to the head chef and tell him what you like and don't like and you never worry again. Service was exceptional!
Diving is a joy at Atlantis. They cater to the novice and the seasoned 'ole salt' in every way. I met people there that were going to try it one time but have been back 5 times.
The Divemasters are very proffesional and if there is something you have always wanted to see, they will take you to it (pygmy seahorses, flambouant cuttlefish). In case you haven't read between the lines, I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE! I would be happy to recommend this to anyone or respond to any questions. Feel free to contact me.
Getting to and from the resort was also handled with great professionalism. The massages a large part of my stay!! It would take hours afterward to come back to reality.

Room Tip: The rooms are great. The ones over the dive shop have the best view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, California
Reviewed June 26, 2013

In route to Atlantis Puerto Galera, I spent the night at a hotel near the
Manila airport. The resort coordinated well with the hotel for a timely
pick up and transfer to PG via a 2 hour van ride and a 1 hour boat ride.

After arriving at the resort, I received a thorough orientation and tour of
the facilities. There is a well organized dive gear area with large rinse
tanks for gear and cameras. There is a large camera room with several power
outlets in both 110 and 220 voltage, compressed air and lint-free towels.
The camera room can get a bit stuffy.

The dive schedule was posted daily. While I was at Atlantis PG, there were
only 6-8 divers so the process worked OK. But with 50-60 divers, it might
get a bit hectic with up to 10 6-pack skiffs leaving at the same time. In
this regard, the dive trip schedule was too hurried with dives set for 9AM,
11AM, 2PM and 4PM. I understand that consideration is being given to
starting the dive schedule earlier, say 8AM, allowing more time between
dives also allowing a staggered dive times if there are several dive skiffs
going out.

The dives are for 1 tank except Verde Island, which is a 3-tank, all day
trip. The skiffs carry no more than 6 divers with a dive guide. There is no
cover on the skiff and no tank holders. No camera rinse on the skiffs. Dive
gear and cameras are place on the floor of the skiff increasing the
possibility of damage --- so watch your stuff.
The dive trips are usually short -- maybe 10 minutes max. The dive guides
are friendly and helpful; they know the dive sites and habitat. They are
quite accomplished at finding small critters such as blue ring octopus and
pygmy seahorses.

The rooms at the resort are spacious and clean with plenty of shelf space.
The food at the restaurant was very good with made-to-order breakfast and a
varied menu for lunch and dinner. The soups were especially savory. The
restaurant also offered a DYI stirfry with a variety of vegetables, sauces,
meats and seafood.

A major negative for the Atlantis Resort is the drinking water situation.
The water from the tap in the room is not potable. The resort offers
bottled water in the room frig for a charge. Otherwise, drinkable water is
only available at the main bar or at the dive shop. This is a large resort
spread out on several levels; thus it can be a rather long walk for some
water. The resort should either provide free bottled water in the rooms or
have bottled water units at several locations throughout the resort. A
complimentary water bottle would be a nice gesture also.

During my stay, the co-owner (Gordon) was at the resort and had dinner just
2 tables from our small group. We noticed that he did not take even a
couple of minutes to greet us, introduce himself, inquire about our stay or
thank us for our business. Very poor PR.

Another gripe is that the resort does not take credit card for staff tips.
As a result, I had to walk into town and withdraw cash from an ATM. Very
inconvenient. There was no prior notice that credit cards could not used
for this purpose resulting in this last minute cash withdrawal.

Overall, the staff was very friendly, helpful and accommodating. I had a
very good experience at Atlantis Puerto Galera and recommended it to any
diver especially those interested in macro photography. I will make a
return visit.

Puerto Galera (actually Sabang Beach) is great for macro photography --
nudibranchs, pygmy seahorse,flamboyant cuttlefish, mandarinfish, shrimp,
and blue ring octopus. No large pelagics and only the occasional turtle.

The dive shop has spacious camera rinse tanks but the dive skiffs do not.
While diving, you must pay attention that you camera gear does not get
under foot or dive gear since the latter is piled in the middle of the
skiff after each dive.

Room Tip: This resort is built on several levels so some rooms are a bit of climb from the bar, restaurant and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DiverMiguelito
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Nice place. Good food. Great people! Way to expensive! If your going for a week and want a no hassle amazing experience Atlantis is awesome! Great dive shop small groups. Too many underwater photographers that think every dive is about them. Why dive shops cater to these terrors of the sea is beyond me!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bodhione
OHIO
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The resort is “in town”. It wasn't initially but the town kind of grew up around it. I expected a resort on a quiet beach but not so. However, it wasn't loud at night. Lots of bars and restaurants which are definitely not high end and we stayed only on the resort. You'll just want to stay and eat at the resort. The food at Atlantis is good and fresch.The restaurant staff is wonderful.

The diving is very efficient and done extremely well. The dive masters are onr of thebest we’ve had anywhere. They know their stuff. Be sure to tell them what you want to see and they will take you to sites to find it. Visibility was in the very good. But since it’s mainly critter diving it doesn’t matter so much. If you are a photographer you’ll want the best macro lens you can get your hands on!

There are really only two “reef” dives and you’ll want to do both. “Canyons” can have current but the soft corals are beautiful. The dive is kind of backwards as it starts in the shallows and ends in 85 feet and you do a blue water ascent.

The other one is Verde Island. Here you will find a BEAUTIFUL pinnacle and all the reef fish you imagine plus generally clear, blue water. You’ll want to dive the pinnacle twice. It is an extra charge to go out there but I highly recommend it. It’s a three dive day with lunch on the island.

All the other dive sites are within 10 minutes of the resort.

If you are interested in nudibranches, frog fish, and the small stuff it’s really great.

The spa was great and a great bang for you buck. We use it evey other day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends