“Easily the best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Galera
San Francisco, CA
“Easily the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Was planning on a last minute, end-of-summer getaway when I saw the review (on Tripadvisor) of this place. Sent inquiry via the resort's website and in less than 30 minutes had a positive response. Got the rest of the details via email, was receiving text messages from the resort and was soon on our way.

Just to be clear: this is not in the White Beach area (Thank God!) but instead is in Sabang area. For those taking the ferry from the Batangas Port, make sure you have signed for the right boat. We took the Father and Son ferry and it was uneventful. We were met at the port by a rep from the resort. Be forewarned: you will have to walk along a path on the beach for a good 10 minutes from Sabang port before you get to the resort itself. That, by itself was interesting. So if you're carrying huge and/or heavy bags (or have more than 2 people with heavy bags), make sure you have advised the resort before getting there so they can send more than 1 person to help. They will really do that (I asked) as long as you make prior arrangements. And it's free (tipping the guy is okay though).
The first thing you will see as you enter is the resort's freshwater pool. It is much prettier at night time when it's lit. There's also a minibar in that area (we didn't try this pool). Another caveat: this resort is NOT disabled-person friendly. There are stairs (lots of them) to navigate before you could get to the reception area and their restaurant. You also get a welcome drink when you check in - I think we had mango shake - which was more than welcome after the walk from the port plus the heat.
We had the small studio (which was more than adequate for 2 persons). It had a kitchenette and it's own toilet and shower. The kitchenette is stocked with basic cooking utensils, dishes, silverware and glasses. There is also a water heater and a rice cooker and a stove. If I were staying with a group of people or for a longer period of time, I think I'd have used the kitchen. There is also a small seawater pool in the mid part of the resort. We stayed in Villa #5 and the pool is right outside our front door. The view from up this area is beautiful. I'd definitely ask for this villa again next time. The bathroom was nice and clean. There are more than adequate towels, washcloth and hand towel. They also provided body lotion, shower gel and hand soap. As can be expected, the water smelled of seawater and had a salty taste. I had to buy bottled water to rinse after brushing my teeth. It didn't matter if you let the tap or shower ran for awhile - the smell and taste of seawater remained. On the last day of our stay, there were 2 small cockroaches in the bathroom. I'm not a squeamish person (they WERE small and not flying around) and a good ol' swat with my flipflop took care of them.
The Verandah restaurant serves some of the best foods I've had. It rivals even the best restaurant in Manila. I asked if the day before's special is still available (I think they were Beef Medallions) and the restaurant obliged us. The meat was really good and tasty and the presentation was also nice. We were also asked if we wanted to try this fish found only in the Galera area and we said yes. It was huge (probably 2 kilos!), baked with white sauce and veggies on the side. It was very fresh, the fish meat still tasted sweet and the veggies cooked perfectly. Every meal (and cold drink) I had in the restaurant was really really good. Try the molten chocolate dessert. Yum! The service was friendly, unobtrusive and was really good. About the only thing that I could think of that was "off" in the restaurant was the brewed coffee. On arrival, it was really good; for breakfast the following morning, it tasted "old" - like it was the bottom of the pot. Same thing at dinner that night. Some people may have issues with the menu prices but it was just average for me (I live in a big metropolitan city in the US). The view from the restaurant was also nice. You can see Batangas City lit up at night. Bring bug spray though as there are lots of flying insects. The restaurant area is "open" til 930 pm but I'm not sure if it's okay to hang out in the balcony area after that.

Wi-fi was spotty when were there. It only worked in the reception and restaurant area although there were routers up the second pool area.

Would I stay here again? ABSOLUTELY. From start of the booking, helpful text messages before arrival, friendly staff, amazing views, clean villas, great food... not much more to ask for. It is clean, quiet and away from the craziness that is White Beach. You can still go there (which we did) but then return to this sanctuary. It is definitely pricier than the White Beach area but you get what you pay for. I can honestly say (if I had a choice) I will never stay at White Beach if and when I return to Galera. Out of The Blue has spoiled me and my expectations have gone higher =).

Thanks to the staff of Out Of The Blue for a nice time. We will be back!

Room Tip: Villa #5 for couples. For families or groups, get Villa #4 which has a connecting door to #5 and ac...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flipinsf1
OOTB-JB, Owner at Out of the Blue Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Hi Flipins. Thank you for such a detailed review. We appreciate the effort. Yes, we are more than happy to meet our guests in Sabang and assist with luggage - free of charge. As a standard service we also supply complimentary bottled water each day in each villa, so I assume the water you purchased was in addition to what we supplied. Re the bugs, we have in place a rigorous on-going regime to control all creepies in all villas and we have to be especially vigilant at the start of the wet season as in May (as do all resorts in most of Asia). And our Sari Sari store is always stocked with personal insect repellants if you wish to be outside in the evenings. Re the brewed coffee, I have chased this up and I am now replacing the current set up with glass based brewers which are much easier to keep "fresh". We have also just signed on to using Nescafe "Dolce Gusto" specialty coffee products - so the coffee, including the complimentary brewed coffee, should be great next time you stay with us. And hopefully you'll find the WiFi better too due to some recent upgrades. The combined Villa option is Villa 15 (combination of Villa 1 and Villa 5). Thanks once again for the constructive feed back.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

This review is a bit late, but my family and I spent the holy week vacation at this resort. We already had a great impression of the resort from the get go as management's communication via email was very efficient. We got the huge 3 bedroom villa which had a spectacular view. The breeze at the balcony was fantastic and with the massage bench and lounge chairs, the balcony easily became our favorite spot. The furnishings were great, except for the couch which was extremely comfortable but looked worn out. I would have preferred it if the bed sheets were not printed, but that did not take away from our comfy sleep. I was 2 months pregnant at the time, so the stairs gave me a bit of trouble. But if I weren't pregnant, I don't think I would have minded the stairs. We got a taste of the food at The Verandah since we had their complimentary breakfast and I really enjoyed it. The wifi had limited reach at the time, but I was told they were already fixing this. I can only hope that they keep on improving their services and maintain the resort's status as the best option in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OOTB-JB, Owner at Out of the Blue Resort, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hi Jamie. Thank you for your comments. We are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with Out of the Blue. Villa 1 is very popular with families and groups of friends, who love to chill out on the lower balcony area, just as you did. As planned, Villa 1 now has much improved WiFi and we are replacing the leather sofa (which is less than 18 months old and is being returned to the manufacturer). You will also be pleased to know, as part of our continual upgrade program, Villa 1 is also having new bedroom curtains installed, plus new massage table covers and pillow, and a replacement of some external woodwork. We are also upgrading all towels (bath, hand, face and beach towels) and bathrobes across the whole resort with even higher quality Out of the Blue branded products. So Villa 1 (all villas in fact) will be even better when you and your family, hopefully, returns.
Marikina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Out of the Blue is situated in Sabang beach, which is really quite filthy and definitely not for swimming. The state of the beach, of course, is not the fault of the hotel. It's just a fact. If you want to swim or sunbathe at a decent beach, you need to take a bangka for around P2k to bring you elsewhere.

Getting there is quite a walk from the port (around 10 to 15 min) but the hotel was very kind enough to have us picked up by a bangka since they know that we were travelling with senior citizens. :) That was quite thoughtful and very much appreciated! Don't know though if its provided to all guests.

Don't expect a beachfront view from the hotel. You get to see the sea only from the restaurant or from any of the upper level rooms - not from the poolside. To get to the upper level rooms, there's a long flight of stairs. If you have something against climbing stairs, best to just take the jaccuzi suites.

However, the resort have very friendly staff, good service and nice and comfortable accommodations. They have air conditioning, hot/cold showers, ref, cable tv, and the usual toiletries and bath amenities. Food is good too. So, if your intention is to snorkel or dive most of your time in Mindoro, then this place would be perfect. You can relax at a clean and comfortable suite after a day's activity.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. We hope you enjoyed your time at Out of the Blue and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Just a small correction. Out of the Blue is located on Small Lalaguna Beach, one beach down from Sabang Beach (where the public bancas arrive). We enjoy good clean water all year round in Small Lalaguna Beach, as does Big Lalaguna Beach, which is the next beach along. But I do agree that Sabang Beach is not always as good as it should be, and, for a great day's swimming at the beach, Big Lalaguna (about 500 meters away from Out of the Blue) or a trip to one of the many nearby beaches is a good option. Especially because the scenery and water colors are just so beautiful along the way. And yes, our 2 poolside villas don't have sea views, but all other villas do, and the best views (which are very hard to beat) are available from our upper villas, but not everyone likes stairs. So your next best option is to chill out, on your own poolside patio, close to our lovely lower level 16m pool. The special banca trip for your group was a special complimentary service.
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Service was impeccable from the start of the booking process to the departure date!

I traveled with a group of four, and we booked three rooms in total. The hotel was very nice, and rooms were kept very clean with all the amenities such as wifi, air conditioning and fan, refrigerator, complementary water, and kettle/coffee. The hotel had great outdoor spaces, a good sized pool, and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I would definitely return to this hotel.

Tip: bring bug spray. We went in May...lots of bugs in the evening.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank HKDivers
San Antonio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We have been to Puerto Galera, Mindoro, many times over the past decade and half and stayed at a number of the small hotels in Small Lalaguna Beach and Large Lalaguna Beach. Out of the Blue is a new establishment that is marketing itself as a step above the rest. And it is—a huge step above the others. We stayed in Jacuzzi Suite #1 for 5 nights in late April and had a wonderful time.
First, the many positives (in no necessary order): The staff is unparalleled in the quickness of their response to requests. This is because the owner himself is very concerned about guests’ happiness. We had booked the hotel through Action Divers (which I can’t say enough about having dived with them many, many times over the years), and when Roscoe, the owner of Action Divers, asked how things were, we mentioned two concerns: that the pool did not have a railing for getting in and out and the toilet tank was not filling up properly. Within one hour we had an email from the owner thanking us for the suggestion of the railing and pledging to have one installed in June, and the handyman showed up to repair (actually replace the inner mechanism) of the toilet. Next, the large Jacuzzi was a delight. Every other place we have stayed in the past has only had a shower. To be able to relax in the tub with plenty of hot water at the end of the day was a treat. Out of the Blue has two pools, one for the upper rooms up the hill and one in front of the Jacuzzi Suites. The lower pool is large enough for laps and 4 feet deep. There are plenty of comfortable lounge chairs, chairs and tables and umbrellas. Most days we had the pool to ourselves for a number of hours and shared with another couple at other times—even though this was high, busy season. The hotel is generous with towels—both for the bathroom and the pool, replacing them each day with a clean supply. (But bring your own wash cloths as they aren’t provided.) Bed linens are changed every two days, but the room is cleaned daily. The king-size bed was the most comfortable hotel bed we’ve slept in, but you can opt for twin beds in the room if you want. There was a nice reading chair and lamp that I hogged during most of our stay. My husband would have appreciated a second one, but to even have one is great. Often the hotels at Puerto have inadequate lighting using low wattage bulbs to save on costs. That was not the case in OoftheB. Both of us were able to read throughout the room and in the jacuzzi. There is a flatscreen tv with many cable channels. Word of caution: if you run the ceiling fan, you will get snow on the tv picture. Just turn off the fan.
There was a nice choice of breakfast options included in the room rate, and we tried many of them: the healthy breakfast with muesli, yogurt, fresh fruit, beverage and toast with jam and butter; the English breakfast with 2 eggs your way, toast with jam and butter, 2 small hotdogs, bacon, baked tomato and beverage; the American breakfast with eggs your way, bacon, toast with jam and butter and beverage; pancakes with syrup and beverage (I asked for extra bacon and was not charged additional). You call the restaurant on the phone, and the staff will bring the food to your room a few minutes later. We never waited more than 10 minutes no matter what time we asked for breakfast. Please note that the orange juice is a tang-like powdered sweetened beverage with is usual for the Philippines.
Since I have difficulty with stairs and the Verandah Restaurant is up several flights, the staff very graciously brought our dinners and lunches down to our room or the pool. The pizza is good and loaded with fresh chopped tomatoes, the bacon Panini with fries was quite tasty and the banana and mango shakes enjoyable (though not as thick and flavorful as some other nearby establishments). We enjoyed the fresh catch whole grouper one evening.
I hesitate to mention any negatives, but I need to be honest. The only somewhat negatives were small and not necessarily the fault of the hotel. The room next to us was booked for two days with a family with 3 young kids who were very noisy, waking us in early the morning (6 am) and yelling all day. That put a crimp on romantic times in the pool, but fortunately they were out each day for several hours. The toilet in our room was not cleaned the last two days of our stay, though the rest of the room was spotless (that was Wednesday and Thursday mornings). I’m sure by mentioning this, the owner will take notice, and it won’t happen again. The promised in-room internet Wifi did not happen. The hotel has three routers for different hotel areas, and the router for our room was in the pool area. We were able to get internet just outside the room (and there are 2 lounge chairs on the balcony), but not inside. We understand from Roscoe that the owner is redoing the internet in June when they make repairs, so this shouldn’t be a concern in the future.
To end on a positive note, unlike other PG establishments, the prices listed for food include 12% VAT and no service charge is added—so you can tip what you feel is appropriate. Since the service is incredible, they don’t need to force you to tip. You’ll want to tip well.

And the door-to-door service with private banca is well worth the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anneharper1951
OOTB-JB, Owner at Out of the Blue Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thanks for the feedback, Anne. As you know, we genuinely appreciate it (both positive and negative) and act on all constructive suggestions where possible.

And yes, we will be installing a railing in the lower pool in June, as you suggest, as part of our annual "upgrade program". I have chased up your other comments and as a result we have tightened up a few checks and balances. We will also be acting on the Tang (which many Asians like) and taking steps to provide an acceptable alternative at no extra cost.

BTW, the TV / Fan reception "affect" was caused by the cable supplier operating on their generator in a brown out, which we cannot control. So thanks for the tip on how to resolve this issue. Ditto, the in-room WiFI was waiting on a new antenna to be installed by Smart.

Thanks for the encouragement for others to tip. The staff try very hard indeed and appreciate that extra little bit!
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was okay, but really nothing special. The best feature of this hotel is the restaurant which has a fantastic view. The food is a bit hit and miss though and we found the service overall a bit lacking. Breakfast is so so and the portions are quite small (it's plate service) so be prepared to order some extra food for breakfast and pay for it. They also service this horrible powdered orange juice (Tang). Better to get some juice from a can and pay for it.
They do have a nice pool, which is a bonus, as not many of the hotels in this area has that (everyone basically comes here for diving). so if you're not a scuba diver and the rest of your group is, then it is nice to be able to relax at the pool and take a dip. There are 2 nice rooms that are directly at the pool so you can walk out of your room and into the pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Conihor
Thank you for the feedback. Obviously, we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us as much as we would have liked. All your comments have been taken on board, especially the "Tang" (which incidentally many guests like). We can only try harder, which we will, to make all our guests as satisfied as possible. And if ever you or your friends decide to visit us again, please let us know immediately if something is not quite right.
Helsinki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I can truly recommend this fantastic small resort, it really is a great place to spend your holiday in Sabang Puerto Galera. Stayed in Jacuzzi Suite, and enjoyed every minute. Room was nice, comfortable and clean, great views, and my extra thumbs up for a very quiet aircon. The location of Out of the Blue resort is just perfect - private, quiet and peaceful, and only 5 mins walk from Sabang centre. The staff is really attentive, friendly and helpful, making sure your stay here is cosy, luxurious and comfortable. All in all, this perfect little gem resort is well worth its #1 ranking in TripAdvisor!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple