“Great place to stay, dive, eat and drink”

Capt'n Gregg's Accommodation
Ranked #10 of 55 Puerto Galera B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 15, 2013

If you want to dive with a reputable organisation, stay at a clean place feeling safe, eat excellent local and international food and achieve value for money; Capt'n Greggs ticks all these boxes and more!!!!!!!!!!

Diving with Capt'n Greggs was recommended by a friend of mine who stated that they are a professional outfit with good mix of international and local instructors/Dive masters. I value his opinion as he has been diving around the world and he was spot on with his assessment.

I liaised with Chuck (the owner) via email and he was very quick with his response. He put together a 7 day package for me that included 10 dives in which I found the price to be very reasonable.

I stayed on the second floor, the room was spacious and clean. For me, a fan room was sufficient as I am not a big fan of air conditioning but every room was equipped with air conditioning if required.

He also organised a private car and boat to get from Manila airport to the accommodation which made my trip hassle free.

I found Chuck and Caren to be extremely helpful and sociable. They made me feel welcome and went out of their way with my request. The wait/kitchen staff were also very friendly and took the time to answer my questions and above all; say hello when they see you.

The diving in which the main reason I went to Puerto Galera for was sensational.

Mads was my first guide and I found him to be a very experience tech diver/instructor. He made me feel at ease and was very friendly. The first dive was in a ripping current in which we covered nearly three dive sites and saw some of the biggest travely I have ever seen which made the dive memorable.

While Mads was busy with the tech divers, I dived with Bhon and once with Big Boy who were the local dive guides.

Their dive briefings were comprehensive and they have sharp eyes in spotting little critters. I really enjoyed diving Sabang reef and the point as well as Alma Jane and Sabang Wreck. Above all, I felt very comfortable and safe knowing that I have a dive guide who is looking out for my welfare as well as making sure I was having fun.

The boat captain was also very helpful when it comes to assisting you with gear and helping you out of the water. They made the diving vey easy and hassle free.

Bhon also serviced my Apeks regs and went out of his way to take me around the island so that I could buy new braided hose for my SPG and occy.

Capt'n Greggs also have a lot of regular tech divers that live locally and in Manilla. I was fortunate enough to meet 3 of them and they are great guys who made me feel very welcome.

I found all the dive staff friendly, passionate at what they do and also environmentally aware.

As for the food, I found it to be excellent in the restaurant, especially the bake fish and nightly bbq.

The Gin Juice is very refreshing and a great way to end a day's diving or start a night out.

I had a great time staying and diving with Capt'n Greggs and would highly recommend them. No wonder why people keep coming back when they visit Puerto Galera to this establishment.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Got there after arriving on Sabang pier and visiting a couple of other options on the waterfront and having to say no a million times to the sometimes harassing people who want you to come to their hotel. I visited the rooms of Dive VIP, horrible... 6 or 7 huge cockroaches in the bathroom...

I had exchange a couple of emails with owner Chuck who responded fairly quickly. Even though he told me the price was 800 pesos per night for a queen bed fan room, we verbally agreed for a price of 700 pesos when I arrived there (it was low season and you can definitely find rooms around at 500 or 600 pesos if you search).

Their hotel is very nice because it is on the second floor so the many vendors on the beach don't really have access to you all the time. Plus, their restaurant where you can hang out has a great wooden boat like ambiance, very nice.

The three fan rooms just next to the reception desk have an amazing view (see photos) on the Sabang bay and you can here the waves break on the beach at night, very pleasant.

The diving with them was great, thanks to Mas, Marco, Lhedy, Bhon and boat Captain with the funny hat! I like it because they have a mix of foreigners (Mas, Marco) and local (Bhon and Big Boy) divemasters and instructors. Equipment was in good order and staff helpful. I paid 1200 pesos per dive including equipment although you can find dive operators in Sabang that will charge as low as 900 pesos per dive.

The only downside was the attitude of owner Chuck who, when it was time to pay my bill, tried to charge me 800 pesos a night (we agreed on 700 as previously said) because I did not eat once in his restaurant. Sorry dude, but you can bring that up when you never mentioned that in the first place. Plus, I chose to dive with your company even though it was pricier than other places and I had a couple of drinks in your bar. Not pleasant at all and he is not so friendly in general... maybe time to retire my friend!

I would recommend this place and go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Nicolas F
chuckdriver, Owner at Capt'n Gregg's Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Imagine you are running resort restaurant , trying to make money so you can pay your staff all the bills and try to put some aside for retirement , and your guest brings food from the outside and then asked your staff for knives and forks plates to eat so he can eat in his room , and in a six day stay didn't eat once in your restuarant , had a few drinks but that wouldn't pay for the pay one hours electricity here, this person is most probably is a government worker where he has no worries about money in his pocket, but then again its becoming more popular that tourist bring their own drinks packet food in , but in the end this does not help pay the bills and my retirement

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Been staying at capt greggs now for last few years, excellent value, great staff, excellent location, great food -would recommend the Chuck burger- not for the feint hearted !!!!
All staff very friendly, great dive location, own dive shop and boat, the diving couldnt be easier.
Would highly recommend

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have been diving at Sabang since 2005, and a few years back started trekking there twice annually. I have always stayed at Capt'n Gregg's for the great staff (restaurant and dive center) and atmosphere, awesome location (central), and panoramic view of Sabang harbor. This ain't Marriott or Hilton or Shangri-la but for the money it is outstanding value. Choice of new rooms upstairs and (as I call them) classic rooms on the restaurant and dive center levels all priced with and without aircon providing flexibility especially if you're travelling a in group with mixed personal budgets. No truths are told nightly at the Tea Table where Chuck's famous Jin Juice is always available and local Filipinos, local Ex-pats, and Guests mingle and laugh. Capt'n Gregg's accepts cash and credit cards. (There is an additional 6% banking fee for credit cards.) Always love my stays and feel sad leaving my home away from home when the holiday is up because the staff and local friends that you've made during your stay see you off with a personal touch.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs have great views, and the rooms on the restaurant level have pretty damned good views...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I had been there for the August first week long weekend and had an excellent time.
The location is almost about half a minute from the Sabang pier (you can actually see the hotel board while the boat docks into the station)
The food was excellent, infact, we did not even wish to try the food somewhere else. The chilli garlic bread was really good, fresh and well toasted/warmed. We had that a couple of time.
The owner Chuck and the staff Karen and team were really nice, warm and accommodating.
They have a dive shop and diving for the first time my experience was really very good. Mads (instructor) was really very patient with me :)
The only point to note was that they charge a 5% fee when paying by credit cards and they only accept Visa.
Apart from that, an excellent stay and had a wonderful time.
Thanks Chuck and team!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Went there with two friends who were there for the diving and they just loved the place. I had one of the nicer rooms on the top floor with a great ocean view from the balcony. No complaints at all. Food was decent and I swear they put something in those Gin Juice to make you giggle.
As I was not there for the diving, I was disappointed by the (lack of) beach in Sabang but this has nothing to do with the place we stayed at. If you go to Sabang, be prepared for this. If you like diving with a great place to stay, you will love Capt'n Gregg's.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank dmancda
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was my 2nd stay with Capt'n Greggs. Both times I have been thrilled with the place. It is affordable, clean and comfortable. If you're expecting The Hilton, its not.... its a good quality dive resort. Rooms are always clean, always well maintained (I broke the shower in my room and it was repaired within an hour). The restaurant has excellent food, the service is absolutely impeccable. As others have noted, please be aware that the beach is.... hmmmmmm at Sabang. But, the reason for going there is to dive. Capt'n Greggs has one of the best reputations for its diving - although to be honest, I stayed 10 days this trip and was sick the whole time, so didn't get to go under with them... Dive prices are good, sites are good and the quality of training is exceptional (this from my previous trip). I couldn't recommend anywhere more than this place.

Room Tip: I like the downstairs room, its bigger and has direct access from the dive shop.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends