“"Good Service yet Basic"”
Review of Halfway Lodge

Halfway Lodge
Ranked #11 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Banaue
Quezon City, Philippines
“"Good Service yet Basic"”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I went to Banaue, Ifugao last April 22 to April 28, 2013 for the 35th Annual Summer Conference and Workcamp of CMLI Junior Members and Teacher-Advisers. At first, I thought that the place that we will be staying was like the Banaue Hotel, but I was wrong. Since me, my co-delegates and our teacher-adviser from Claret was a large delegation; we aren't accomodated at the venue. Since it is one of the official accomodations for the conference, we opt to stay at Halfway. I beg to disagree on what others are saying about Halfway. First , it is a pension house, that's why it gives you a basic service to its clients. Yes, the pressure of the water from the shower was weak but its temperature was just right for lowland Filipinos and if you are using . The thing which I also like is that, it has maintained a clean environement for most of the time. Its food was somewhat different from the usual but it was delicious.One of its weakness was the approximity from the Poblacion which is sometimes noisy due to the paligas and other affairs.

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms above the restaurant. It gives you a better view of the Pobalcion and its Rice...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jsc_sinlao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Unfortunately i cant recommend Halfway Lodge. We were 6 friends, staying in 2 rooms, every person had to pay 300 PHP. The price is average in Banaue, most guesthouses charge around that price.

We were told that we have hot water in the shower, but it was not even warm. The Wi-Fi doesn't reach the room, so I had to sit in the restaurant to use it. When I wanted to charge my laptop, one of the staff members came up and said, I have to pay 20 PHP extra for charging my laptop. What? I decided to charge my laptop in the room, until I figured out that there was not even one single socket in the room. Which also meant I wasn't able to use my hairdryer after washing my hair. Errgh :(

The next day we all checked out and planned a day trip to Batad, we asked for leaving our backpacks. Apparantly it was fine, but when I noticed that the lady from the reception basically just put our backpacks in opposite of the reception, right next to the entrance where everybody can just grab a backpack while walking out, we all decided to take our stuff.

The lady from the reception got very mad, and when she saw me talking with some other travelers (I asked them if they wanna share a jeepney with us to Batad), she yelled at me, I shouldn't interrupt these guys travel plans and that they already booked somewhere else a trycycle.)

However, to sum it up, we all didn't feel welcome there and neither of us would return. We didn't try the food at the restaurant, I noticed, that almost nobody eats there, the restaurant was most of the time empty and beside, the atmosphere is anything else than inviting. So I can't say anything about the food. The room was OK, not amazing, not bad as well. Just no hot water.

I don't wanna blame Halfway Lodge, apparently other guesthouses in Banaue have a similar concept, specially the thing with no sockets in the room and charging for everything extra. It's very annoying and really disturbed my whole Banaue experience. I won't come back here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank 365DaysSummer

Travelers are raving about these Banaue hotels

Regensburg, Germany
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We can't recommend halfway lodge. The food is pretty much ok, but if you plan to stay in banaue look for other guesthouses. Thin mattresses make you feel like camping. After 10pm the main gate closes and The rooms feel like being locked in where you don't want to be. Shower wasn't warm, killed 2 cockroaches and check out is at 9 sharp.

• Stayed March 2013
Pasay, Philippines
Reviewed February 1, 2013

On our way to Sagada, we stopped over to have breakfast. After 20 minutes of waiting or coffee and hot choco (choquick) was served. 25 minutes after, breakfast followed and to my surprise I only got 4 1"tocino and 2 tbsp of scrambled egg for PHp 95.... Sooo pooor! I will NEVER recommend this place. To add to that the server that day needs to know what service is. Guys they have a non working Wifi spot.

• Stayed January 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012

stayed in a private double which was as basic as it gets, the private bathroom was cold water only and very poorly furnished, the walls between rooms are paper thin so you can hear everything that your neighbours are doing, you can even hear them farting through the walls, thankfully our neighbour was pretty quiet, there does not seem to be many available rooms as most seem to be taken up by the owners family who get up at the crack of dawn and make no effort whatsoever to be quiet, staff are very pleasant and friendly but are totally clueless when it comes to running a guesthouse, even the most basic requests will be met with a blank stare, the in house restaurant is dreadful with a poor menu, omelettes will arrive as scrambled eggs, the bar ran out of beer and water after a couple of days, and it stayed out of stock until we left, however, it was cheap and did the job and was no worse than any of the other guesthouses in town, you are not spoilt for choice in Banaue.

Room Tip: go to Sagada and pass straight through Banaue.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigbri73
Taytay, Philippines
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We had 8 in our group when we stayed at the Halfway Lodge from December 27-29, 2011. My husband and I had a standard room with our own bathroom, but no hot water. If you want hot water, you have to get a more expensive room. The 6 others in our group were single guys so they stayed in a dorm room for 6. For budget travelers, you can't beat the prices here. The food in their restaurant is also very good. And, it's quiet, facing the terraces. The staff were very helpful and can book transportation to Batad or Sagada for you. We only trekked up to the waterfalls in Banaue so didn't need to rent a jeep. We also had our own vehicle so drove ourselves up to the View Point. There's parking for your vehicle in front of Halfway Lodge, too.

We liked the location of the Halfway Lodge because while it's close to the town proper, it's the last lodge on the road going down the hill and so is nice and quiet. It's only a few minutes' walk to the town, though. They also have a gift shop.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank mlgocon
San Antonio TX
Reviewed January 8, 2012

The Halfway Lodge is situated in the heart of Banaue Town and is very close to the Tourism Center, where you can book all of your terrace treks with a certified and well-trained guide.

My stay here began Dec. 28, 2011 and I checked out Jan 09, 2012.

The staff (all family), are very friendly and I was warmly welcomed and treated throughout my stay.

My bed was comfortable and I slept soundly throughout the night.

The rooms are clean, simple and unadorned. But they do have en-suite bathrooms with hot and cold running water. All rooms face the Pangga (sp?) River and offer serene views of the Banaue Rice Terraces. I would suggest that you leave your windows and drapes open during your stay for a very peaceful viewing and aural experience.

Oh, and I forgot to mention...the beds feature an authentic and warm woven Ifugao blanket.

There are several room configurations, capable of accommodating various sized groups.

One double bed and one single
Two double beds and one single
Four double beds
7 Single beds

There are also hostel-style rooms with two single beds that share common bathrooms.

Walk-in rates at the time of my stay were:

P500 for single person (I stayed in one of the Double-Double-Single rooms but had it to myself, since I traveled alone.)

P800 for two people

P250/head for groups.

Discount rates are available...email to get a quote.

The restaurant offerings are:

"Halfway"
"Semi-light"
"Ordinary"
Continental

Also on the breakfast menu are Omelets, Sandwiches, and Pancakes (all of the pancakes in this area are, to themselves, sweet, and are generally a good deal thicker than the American version (still fluffy, though.)

LUNCH
Halfway Rice (which is actually a combo meal)
Chopsuey Rice
Curry Rice
Chicken Rice
Pork Rice
Fried Rice (w/ham, eggs, and veggies)
Garlic Fried Rice (traditional Filipino and yummy)
Plain Rice

Vegetable
Vegetable w/Egg
Cream of Mushroom
Cream of Asparagus
Chicken Mami (fresh noodles)

Pancit:
Bijon
Canton
Salanghan

Salad:
Halfway (Sort of kind of like a Cobb or Chef Salad of sorts)
Potato

Hot Chocolate
Instant Coffee
Brewed Coffee
Sprite
Royal Orange (gotta try it)
Coke

All of the food I had was tasty and well presented.

There are a few things you need to be aware of - things that are common with most every hotel in Banaue (excepting the pricey ones.)

There is electricity in the rooms, but only for the lights and hot water. There are no outlets. You can charge your electronics for a small fee.

While the bathrooms are western style, paper items are not to be flushed, so you will need to baggie your soiled toilet paper and place it in the bathroom waste bin.

You need to ask for towels, as there are none in the room.

In closing, the Halfway Lodge gets my vote for staying in Banaue - great rates, great food, great views, comfortable beds...what more can you ask for?

Room Tip: Ask for a discount if you are staying more than two nights.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo