“The best place in Banaue”
Review of Sanafe Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banaue
Sanafe Lodge
Ranked #1 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Banaue
Pardesia Israel
“The best place in Banaue”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here a couple of days. We had the best room , a whole wall was a large glass door overlooking the spectacular view. The food is excellent, breakfast, dinner, its all really good. Susan, the owner, is warm, welcoming, and a very classy lady.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights before heading to sagada.
The staff are very helpful and accommodating. The rooms have everything you need (a socket would be nice though)
Great location to visit banaue viewpoint or batad terraces
The food is also incredible and eating in the patio overlooking the terraces and town is priceless
People who say its quiet obviously shouldn't visit north Luzon, perhaps boracay would be better suited

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Qsfyiif
Makati
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I read about Sanafe Lodge on a travel magazine and I got curious because of the rave recommendation of the writer who happens to be a close friend of the owner of the lodge, Ms. Susan Paredes.

They replied promptly to my email and I was able to book the deluxe queen room for four nights. The room costs 1,600.00 pesos per night. Also, they gave me contact details of tour guides. I chose Joel Ognayon and he turned out to be one of the best guides I have known.

Upon my arrival, Ms. Susan and her staff welcomed me like family and I was led to my room (Room No. 2). The room was simple and clean with a fantastic view of the mountains, terraces and river.

The view from the veranda was wonderful. I had breakfast there every morning and it's a surreal experience drinking brewed coffee while watching the scenery. Customer service was very good. My food arrived on time and the food was okay. It's pricier but that was compensated by the view, service, quietness of the place and free wifi.

During my second night, I ordered spaghetti because I was not satistied with my previous dinner. I was not expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised that the spaghetti was very delicious and the serving was huge. I ended up ordering spaghetti every dinner. You should also try their special sandwich. It complemented the spaghetti well.

The tours were amazing. You should go to Batad Rice Terraces and Tappiya Falls. A challenging hike.

Because of the soreness and cramps in my legs, I asked the receptionist to arrange for a massage. I had a hard time going down the stairs. The masseuse was an expert in hilot (filipino traditional massage). It was painful every time she pressed my calf muscles and legs. I almost requested her to stop but I gathered enough courage to continue. She said that I will feel better after the massage. I had a nice sleep and, after two days, I did not feel any pain or discomfort in my legs anymore.

One night, my attention was drawn to the pictures near the dining table. I saw a photo of the former president of the Philippines, Ferdinand Marcos, presiding in the swearing-in of a government official. Ms. Susan approached me and said that the official in the photo is her father. Her father was a former governor of Ifugao province. She also said that her brother owns a law firm in Manila.

There are a couple of things that need to be addressed. First, no free shampoo and toothpaste. You will have to buy outside which is a hassle. Second, no TV and wifi in the room. Lastly, breakfast should be included in the accommodation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Franztraveler
Hollister, California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I got a room at Greenview, not Sanafe, because I didn't like Lonely Planet's charaterization of the Sanafe as "dead in the off-season" and the higher prices. However, the food at Greenview was pretty awful so I came to the Sanafe for a meal, and another, and another. No matter what I ordered, it was delicious! I especially liked the fried banana with sesame seeds. The patio was beautiful and it was a really nice place to eat. However, Lonely Planet was right. It was dead. However, maybe the 3rd time I went, I met the owner and talked with her a bit and we discussed the Lonely Planet review. She insisted that the prices in the book are wrong, that she also has 250 peso rooms and that it isn't "dead." Well, there weren't that many people hanging out on the patio and I couldn't figure out why...I think it actually might be Lonely Planet's description keeping people away.
Anyway, I agreed with the owner that Lonely Planet was not right and I told her I would write to them about it. I also thought it best to write here as well.
Please remember, this is mostly a review of the patio, restaurant, staff, and owner. I didn't stay but kept my room at Greenview (I just stopped eating there). (by the way, except for the food, I had no complaints about the Greenview Lodge so no reason to leave)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

First off, let me get this out of the way. The choices for accommodation in Banaue is quite thin and most of them cater mostly to backpackers. Sanafe Lodge is one of them. From the outside, it doesn't look like much (and honestly, I almost turned back). But if you can get past it, you will be in for a nice surprise. The inside have a sort of quirkiness that you half expect in places like this. The veranda offers a magnificent view of the rice terraces. We stayed in deluxe rooms and they are quite okey for the price. It is of modest size, clean, and the hot water works. There is an average speed free wifi internet in the reception/veranda which is okey for normal browsing. Owner/manager looks after the guests quite well.

On the i wish they could improve on part...

I wish they have TVs in rooms. There is hardly a night life in Banaue and in the evening its the only entertainment option for guests. Or if they can't provide one for each room, at least provide more wifi routers so we can surf even in our rooms.

Food is okey but a bit on the pricey side (about 3-4 dollars per menu item). For those that are budget conscious, it is near the market so there are a lot if other eating options.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jansen_M_M
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Nice view! Nice people! Nice food! Staff are very helpful! And the view from the restaurant: amazing in the morning with a coffee, astonishing for the happy hour with a San Miguel! Try the adobo chicken/pork you won't regret it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A nice guide befriended us at the bus station and lead us to the Lodge which is located in the town center, close to the open market and close to the hustle and bustle of Banaue. From the gated entrance, you'd never guess how nice it was inside. We were pleasantly pleased with the two deluxe rooms we reserved, simply decorated in true Banaue decor: Bulol lamps and locally handwoven blankets. Outside our window was the most breathtaking view of the town with rice terraces in the background and the suspension bridge below. Our rooms had a private bath so we didn't have to use the common bathrooms meant for other guests. The restaurant seating is on the terrace which has THE BEST VIEW of the town without the crowds. We only ate two meals here, breakfast which was standard but a little more pricey than what you would pay at some of the places down the street. But it is quieter here than the other eating spots where you find seating back to back with other customers who enjoy constant conversation. The plus at Sanafe Lodge was the casual atmosphere, spaciousness of the place, and their accommodating nature. Since our bus was to leave in the evening, the staff stored our bags for free in a locked room. I understand they do this for all their guests who need to check out in the morning to make room for other travelers. If you are a traveler planning to visit Banaue just to see the rice terraces from a distance, maybe this place is not for you because it is not a 4 or 5 star hotel with a pool, etc. like you would find in the city. It is a homey place, remember, it's the small town of Banaue, and the staff smiles back. If you plan to see the terraces on foot and mingle with the locals to understand the culture of the people who make Banaue the wonderfully intriguing place it is, then you will find Sanafe Lodge to be a true gem like we did. We plan to return to Banaue, 3-days on foot was not enough time to explore the magic that makes it so special... and our party of four definitely plans to stay here again. Yes, exploring the rice terraces on foot in the rain gave us a wonderful perspective of how the rice is able to grow bountifully here... taking a warm shower at Sanafe Lodge afterwards was such a sweet treat. Remember though, if you're planning to stay in Banaue, bring ALOT of cash - no ATM's, only the BIG Banaue Hotel at the top of the hill accepts credit cards with a skip-a-heartbeat extra fee. We LOVED the experience... just wish someone told us we really needed more than enough cash for quality souvenirs to help this community thrive.

Room Tip: Book early, this place fills up quick! many walk-ins are turned away. Go deluxe (one queen size bed...