“Stay away!”
Review of Ambos Mundos

Ambos Mundos
Cuisines: Chinese, Filipino, Spanish
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We went with some friends. The specialty rice smelled of cockroaches. The camarones were too small, the calamares were too big and greasy. The men's washroom toilet bowl has black mold stains. (The most disgusting toilet bowl I have ever seen and I have seen some really gross ones). The price was not cheap either. Skip this place, there are other far better places in Manila.

Date of visit: July 2013

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The first time I ate here was with my cousin Jay2x who painstakingly walked me all the way from Quiapo to the supposedly oldest restaurant in Manila. We were already nearly broke because we bought stuff in quiapo but after assessing our collective monies, found that we can still have a good meal (and we did). This is the reason why I did not hesitate to steer my wife and kids over to the very dingy restaurant which I still recognized after so many years (coz of the 2 black pigs infront) The food was ok but the lechon and pancit (and drinks) i ordered all came from the chinese restaurant across the street, I think I paid twice over for eating here, if I came over to the other place I might have gotten these for half the price. This is the sad state of things for the supposedly oldest restaurant in Manila. I'm actually sorry to say that I wont be coming back there anytime soon, how the mighty have fallen

Date of visit: May 2013
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I learned about Ambos Mundos while researching online. My friend drove us to Sta. Cruz, Manila to find the oldest restaurant in Manila built in 1888.

We stopped and asked questions for directions. We ended up circling around Recto Avenue and Tomas Mapua Street to get to Florentino Torres Street. There were a lot of no U-turn signs and no left turn signs. We had to go 2 blocks to go straight to Florentino Torres Street. When we got there it was a one way street, we went to Recto Avenue to turn right to go back to Florentino Torres Street.

I spotted an open pay parking lot and I told my friend to park there and we just walked to Florentino Street because we were not sure if there was a parking space in front of Ambos Mundos. We walked almost two blocks going to the restaurant. The place was dingy and I would suggest not to wear anything fancy that would attract attention because this place is notorious for muggers and snatchers.

As we entered the restaurant, two black boars greeted us by the door. Just like Wah Sun Panciteria (owned by the Leung family whose descendant is married to a Gaudinez); across the Street two black boars are placed by the entrance. According to my research the owners put them there for good luck.

I asked the waiter if we could go upstairs to be seated and he obliged. We were given a menu it contains Spanish, Filipino and Chinese cuisine. I ordered the asado rolls and arroz caldo and my friend ordered the pancit canton.

When our order came, the pancit was on a big plate good for 3 to 4 people for a regular size it costs around 240 pesos (5.69 USD) The 2 asado rolls were huge at 75 pesos (1.78 USD) each. The arroz caldo was also in a huge bowl good for 2 people at 129 pesos (3.06 USD) I must say that the arroz caldo was one of the best arroz caldo I’ve tasted. The asado rolls were very good too and the pancit canton was very tasty. Our total bill was 541 pesos ( 12.82 USD) which I find reasonable.

This gastronomic experience is unforgettable. If one is in search of history and good food in Manila, I would recommend Ambos Mundos.

Date of visit: June 2012
1  Thank cholon2010
Reviewed June 19, 2012

The real Ambos Mundos Restaurant does not have any existing branch at this time. Loyal patrons would know the original location in Estero Cegado and Pedro Paterno, Quiapo, Manila.

The Florentino Torres Street resto is not affiliated to the rightful owners of Ambos Mundos Restaurant. I heard that they are finally opening one soon! :)

More on:

Date of visit: June 2012
Reviewed August 5, 2011

If foodies think they have tasted morcon and have never been to this place, you are sorely mistaken. A taste of the sauce is nostalgic of dewey boulevard and melt in the mouth beef fillet is pure pleasure.

Date of visit: March 2011