“Great location and pleasant staff”

Istana Batik Ratna Hotel
Ranked #186 of 212 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have stayed in Jogjakarta so many times previously that I decided to give this hotel a try as I have passed by many times and this time the price was around what I wanted to pay and it was close to the station.

The main selling point for this hotel is its proximity to the station, you can exit on Jl.Pasar Kembang (take the underpass / tunnel and ignore any touts, porters or bejak drivers) exit the station turn left and you can see it. I was in the reception within three minutes of getting off the train.

We arrived at 12pm and it was no problem to check in early which was a bonus, the receptionist was pleasant and everything was in order with my reservation which is always a good sign.

The room is the standard Indonesian style with a Javanese theme, it could do with a lick of paint but everything worked, the air con was cool, hot water was plentiful and it was clean. The only negative aspect was its proximity to the pool as some local families decided to go for a swim at Midnight and at 4am decided to sit right outside my window and talk loudly. I did have a polite word with them and they moved away immediately but for this reason I would ask for a room away from the pool next time. I note others have mentioned the same issues previously, this is primarily a cultural thing and you just have to accept it as part and parcel of travelling in a foreign country.

Breakfast was included and had a little bit of everything, the only negative thing is they serve Instant Coffee, which given that we are in Java and the cheap price of local coffee, I can never understand why hotels do that.

This hotel and its location might not suit everyone, perhaps the well travelled or open minded but it is just five minutes walk to Jl. Malioboro and you can easily arrange tours to Borobudur, Prabanan and the like from the hotel or in the street. If you are expecting five star luxury you won't find it here but what you will is value for money and friendly staff, just be mindful of the rooms close to the pool and if you feel you will be disturbed with noise ask for one at the back.

The wifi worked but was not particularly fast, however was enough for emails but forget trying to download or watch anything as it won't happen.

My confidence is such I have already booked again for my next trip to Jogja in a few weeks.

Room Tip: If noise is an issue request a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank hz88

Reviewed June 11, 2012

The hotel has a pretty central location...close to the train station and Malioboro Street. The public areas of the hotel were nice, but the rooms definitely need some work. We were booked for a week, but ended up changing hotels after 2 nights. The bed was very uncomfortable for my husband and he thinks he may have had bed bugs. My bed seemed fine though. Since I was ill almost the whole time there I didn't have breakfast, but the other people traveling with us said it was okay. I liked the feel of the place, but since hubby wasn't happy with the room, we left.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelnblues
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The hotel looks quite nice from outside, bud is very dated inside. Apart from the location close to to Malioboro street and train station nothing much to recommend. For an overnight stay with minimum time spent in the room it is ok. The pool is refreshing.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sasak70
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Avoid, if you can, this overprice hole in the wall hotel. The menu card has cockroaches, the breakfast is bland. The WiFi is weak and telephone does not work well. The mattress is old and springy.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here try to get a room with one double bed and one desk. It has some minimum amo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nandi0426
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I was in this hotel with a friend. The hotel was quite nice. I think that the rooms could have some improvement or at least some painjob and new furnishing. Anyway, the hotel has a very good pool and garden, which are a nice place to chill out. I can say that we enjoied our stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Location was great. Hotel  very clean. Probably the most central hotel in Jogja. Close to all of the action and reception was very keen to help. Only stayed for 3 nights but would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I looked for a reasonably priced hotel near the train station and this one filled the bill perfectly. (It is a short walk from the station.) Very much a typical Indonesian hotel with very helpful staff. Our room was basic, equipped with a wet room instead of a shower and bath tub but it was all that we needed. Hotel is located near the top of Marlioboro street which is the tourist shopping centre. Breakfast was very nice and I found coffee and tea available from 6:00 AM. Small pleasant swimming pool. Staff learned it was my birthday and delivered a birthday cake to our room - now where else is that going to happen? Helpfully arranged tours to Borobudur and Prambanam.
It wasn't five star, we weren't paying for five star, but it was typically gracious Indonesian hospitality. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family