“Great Location.”

Istana Batik Ratna Hotel
Ranked #186 of 212 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The best part of this hotel is its location. It is just off the main drag - Marlioboro street and opposite the train station.

I stayed just one restful night and would recommend the hotel if thats what you are after. But the place has seen better days, and is due for a facelift..

Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 28, 2011

Smallish rooms with basic facilities as TV and aircon. Clean and quiet hotel in convenient location in city centre, close to the railway station which we found useful. Nice Javanese decorations in lobby, small pool. Breakfast buffet was just adequate. Friendly and helpfull staff but service could be better. If the room is cleaned and the towels are taken, isn't it obvious you require new towels? Instead you have to ask for new towels and toiletpaper every morning. Beside that a pleasant stay, albeit somewhat overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We used Agoda to book this place - 20% supposedly so about 40US$ for room without breakfast.

The reception area is nicely decorated and gives a spacious feel. There is a swimming pool and reasonable dining area. The rooms are wither side of the central pool and dining area. Our room was supposed to be a double bed but was pretty small - the door just about opened at the foot of the bed. There was a large side table between the twin beds and a wardrobe in the corner - quite difficult to reach. A tv with various film channels was raised. The reception quite poor.

The bathroom had hot water, but ran out half way through a second shower. The shower head was old so didnt spray but pour water out - better than a drizzle.

The room was clean enough - bed sheets and floors were good. A/c worked well.

The curtains were quite thin so morning light came in strong. Also the walls were thin and as the rooms are around a communal area early risers could be heard aswell as the cleaners, who were quiet but just outside the door.

The check in staff were friendly. The location is very good in close proximity to the 'shops' and train station.

We did check out after one night and decided on a business hotel instead...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Picked this hotel as asiarooms.com had a discounted price so we paid about S$35 for a twin room and the location seems quite convenient. True enough, it's easy to get to, convenient to walk to the shops on Malioboro and close to Tugu Station (which then made it really noisy!). The staff were very friendly and accomodating - breakfast on a tray delivered to your room as we were leaving 1 hour before breakfast is to be served.

The exterior looks nice (we arrived pretty late though) and there is a tiny pool in the middle of the courtyard. Free wifi and TV in the room, aircon took awhile to cool the room but warm water came on readily enough. Basic toilettries and towels provided.

But the room doesn't feel very clean and the walls clearly need fresh paint. The toilet gets flooded after awhile. I guess S$35 doesn't sound like a lot but I would think it'll get you something better in Southeast Asia! I will probably try a different hotel another time!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Hello and thanks for reading my review. I always try to deliver a comprehensive review and spend quite some time when writing one, so in case you like my review, please do not hesitate to hit the “Review was useful” - button. And whenever browsing reviews in TA, please only trust reputable reviewers and not those “one-review-and-Goodbye” - flamers and fakers.
As usual, I took a lot of pics, so please check them out, according to the saying “a picture is word a thousand words”.

Why I booked a room there:
I arrived late in the evening and all I needed was a inexpensive place to stay in a central location for one night. The price was right (below 250.000 for the Deluxe), and they supposedly had free in-room WiFi (I had called them before to confirm).

I booked the room before actually reading the rather negative recent reviews here in TA, so I was a bit worried what to expect. I already stayed at Istana Batik before, almost ten years ago, in fact this was the first hotel I ever stayed in Yogya. The rate at that time was the same as today, so I honestly expected the room to be kinda run-down or poorly maintained. Luckily, this was not the case and I find the reviews of my fellow TA-members a tad too harsh. Certainly this is not a new hotel, but the maintenance is allright and the people are friendly. It is a one-storey “Javanese Style” property with traditional furniture and a nice inner garden court with Pool. The rooms are basic but cleanliness was not a problem, bathroom was spotless (and I am VERY fuzzy about that). As I requested a room away from the noisy road and the railway station (the hotel is adjacent to the station) with its frequent “honking” and announcements even in the middle of the night, I had to go for a twin-bed room and the beds were pretty narrow. Yes the sheets are not the newest and could be replaced sometimes, but for the price it was certainly acceptable.
The rooms face the inner courtyard and have a window facing said courtyard, which means it can be a little noisy from there too. Internet signal was weak as my room was located rather far away from the reception area, and the bell-boy told me about that on arrival, but it still somehow worked. Breakfast is only until 9.00 a.m. And at 8.30 I got an (unwanted) phonecall from the coffee-shop were I was told to show up quickly otherwise my BF would be history....
I stayed only one night, as I had already booked a more upper-class room nearby for the next day (ABADI HOTEL – will review that one in a short while too).

SUMMARY:
PLUS: inexpensive, traditional Java-Style, free in-room-WifI, central Location, nice medium-sized Pool and inner garden court
MINUS: somehow dated for sure, and it can be very noisy if u get a room near the road and railway station – or some inconsiderate Indonesian families with plenty of anak-anak next door.

Would I stay there again?
If I need an inexpensive place to stay next to the railway station, why not. Just make sure you check ALL booking websites if u book online, or buy a voucher from a local agent (KAHA), as some leading players who claim to have a “low-price-guarantee were 20% more expensive than the website were I booked it (laterooms).
I would rate this place 3,5 Points, but as this is not possible with the mediocre TA-Rating System, I gave it a 4, after I found the other reviews here a bit too negative.

Oh, and once again: check my pics please {~_~}

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back of the compound