Duta Garden Hotel
$47
$79
$56
Priceline
All reviewsbeautiful gardenafternoon snacklandscaped groundsan oasis of tranquilityboutique villalovely poolrooms are largeswimming poolmoney changersnasi gorengbusy citycharming hotelramayana balletwater palaceshower curtaincall to prayermin walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 29, 2010

While the location was good, ensure that you take the becak to the sights around the city as taking cabs can get pretty expensive due to the one-way road system. The hotel was beautiful with lots of plants and landscaped rock gardens but it might be dangerous for the not well-coordinated or an unsuitable hotel for the less able. The path to our room had stepping stones set in a fish pond with windows all around-very picturesque. Breakfast was underwhelming but the service was excellent. Our room was a little pokey and there were safety issues such as the open power outlet in the bathroom and the peeling metal sheeting on the door which can and did cut less careful hands. Overall, it is a good hotel if a bit pricey.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 27, 2010

This hotel is located away from the main drag so you it's much quieter than most hotels in Jogja but it's a quick 5 minute walk to the main drag. However, you're likely to be woken up by the sound of morning prayer. I personally like hearing it but I also spent some time in Cairo and got used to it.

Adding to the beautiful oasis like feel of this hotel is the beautiful landscaping. The rooms face into a center courtyard/pool that is really well landscaped with tropical plants. My room was located at the back and hidden by a waterfall so I had even more privacy. It felt more like small bungalows rather than a standard hotel. The dining/breakfast area is elevated from the main rooms a little bit so makes for a very picturesque eating experience - sort of tree house like but less rustic.

Workers are wonderful. Aside from someone always being around in case you need anything, guests are served evening tea and cool towel on arrival. One of the receptionists (sorry can't remember her name) gets extra kudos for making great recommendations. I and another guest relied on her to help us figure out how to climb Merapi and places to eat away from all the touristy areas.

I want to mention the tour packages that are offered. I'm sure they're all the same but I was expecting to be taken to the site only AFTER being driven to some tourist shopping trap. I was pleasantly surprised to find this didn't happen. But on the flip side, the tour guide is just a driver - he doesn't give you any history or talk at all.

Breakfast is pretty standard but the fresh fruit, nasi goreng and Indonesian porridge were very good. I have to say, I was disappointed with the packaged coffee - but evidently all hotels serve the same stuff. Isn't Indonesia know for great coffee?

The rooms are only mediocre. Despite asking for a queen bed, I arrived to find two small twins instead but they were comfortable and clean. Turns out another guest at the hotel had the same problem. Reminded me a bit of a dorm room. My bathroom was a nice little weird surprise - it actually had a little "deck" with plants in it and isn't entirely enclosed. Weird place for a patio but I guess it's better than nothing.

I haven't read the other reviews but it's likely some guests might have complained about the becak drivers waiting outside the hotel. All I have to say about that is Indonesia is a poor country and tourism is business. These men make their living waiting on tourists. I was initially intimidated but got to know 2 of the drivers and they became my go to guys when I needed to get to places further away (the silver market) and didn't want to go by taxi. They were very nice, respectful and on my last day I asked the driver to take me to the places he frequents and got a nice surprise that most other tourists probably don't experience. If you get a chance, ask one of them to take you to the bird market and the wet market. As for the cost - still less than taking a taxi anywhere and you get a free tour guide.

One note - I was actually here in December of 2009 but I guess you have only a year to write up a review.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Inx611
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Small, near the center, good staff, clean, very nice garden...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Cracking place and due to sickness ended up staying over a week. Stayed in the budget fan room and the nice a/c rooms. Staff were fine, room service was amazing when I was sick, but the one time I left some money in our budget room (locked) it was pinched - about £50. You do have your own safety deposit though so I'd suggest you use it for everything. Otherwise, a nice little place. Shared bathrooms cleaned regularly, breakfast very very good.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2010

While Jogya has many charms, it's also a noisy, hot and traffic choked city. After a day of sightseeing it was wonderful returning to the calm of Duta Garden. The hotel is set in a lovely tropical garden with a pretty, clean swimming pool especially appreciated by our teenage son. Our deluxe ground floor room was spacious even with the extra bed and had a very nice patio next to a gurgling waterfall and fish pond. The bathroom is nothing fancy but clean and adequate. Breakfast was simple and good, always with lots of fresh fruit. Having a computer and free internet in the lobby was an added bonus. The staff were all friendly and very helpful in arranging various day trips for us. It's an easy walk to the many restaurants in this part of town and only a short becak ride to the attractions in town. The becaks are great and inexpensive -just be firm if you don't want to end up at a batik shop. Borobudur and Prambanan are both amazing -we saw both in the late afternoon when it was slightly less hot and really beautiful lighting. Two thumbs up for Duta Garden Hotel as a great place to stay while exploring Yogya and surroundings!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family