“Excellent if you have the patience to go through all the stalls and brave the crowds.”
Review of Beringharjo Market

Beringharjo Market
Ranked #35 of 285 things to do in Yogyakarta
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

We went on a sunday and it was so so so so crowded. There were endless stalls of batik, so much so that we didn't know where to start. The crowd made it very difficult to take our time choosing our items, and after only an hour an a half, i needed to get out!

It's a great market, a definite must go, but not for the impatient like me!

BTW someone in my group had her bag slashed and purse stolen without her realizing. So please be careful.

4  Thank ALR0609
All reviews
"malioboro street"
in 18 reviews
"great market"
in 5 reviews
"wide variety of products"
"big market"
"tofu"
"batik shops"
"wander around"

Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is a 3-storey market. The street level is the wet market which also sells a variety of spices. The smell of anchovies and cuttlefish fill the air and gives the market its authentic atmosphere. Levels 2 and 3 are shops that display various batik and handicrafts like leather document trays and tissue boxes. They are wholesalers and not very interested in doing your business. A woven hand basket cost Rp200,000 in one shop and the exact same one Rp120,000 in another. Although it was low season, no one bothered us at all. In fact, they were pretty indifferent. Much much smaller scale than Chatuchak in Bangkok.

One side of the market opens out to Jl. Malioboro. Don't be like us - we walked one big round about the block.

4  Thank busybeesbiz
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Have to bargain,half from the prize they tell.

I bought kemeja batik tulis,with a very cheap price. Name of the store is florida batik. Batik tulis only sell in this store. But I can't bargain in here. The price is fix.

4  Thank fatladydotcom
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

If you want to buy any batik stuffs, you should come to Pasar Beringharjo. You can find batik blouses, dresses, shirts, pajamas, bags, kids wears, etc. But you need to have a great bargaining skill to get a good price

7  Thank DewiPinatih
See more reviews
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I visit this market every time I come to Jogya. It's safe, not smelly like some, and tourists are welcome but still a bit of an oddity - you just need to smile a lot and will usually get a smile in return. If you want to know the price of something and don't know the language, just offer your calculator and the seller will enter the price.

There's really not much point in bargaining as the prices are already rock bottom and the sellers are very reasonable - it would be ungracious after that to haggle.

It's an experience for sure, just make sure you keep your wallet safe although I've never had a problem.

If you're lucky you may be approached by a person with a basket on their head offering to carry your purchases - far from being demeaning, this is how these porters earn their living. Without your purchases, however meagre, their is no income for them, so there is dignity in the transaction when carried out well. My porter was a small elderly lady who carried my one purchase with panache, happy to meander about with me until I was done, elegantly balancing her large (light) basket on her head. My porterage fee was almost as expensive as my purchase, but at Rp 20,000 ($2) I have the memory of this lovely lady keeping me company for a morning - and I didn't haggle, I overpaid according to her.

5  Thank fandangoMelbourne