“Fantastic value, great stay”

The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection
Ranked #8 of 211 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We stayed at the Phoenix for 2 nights in mid July for our visit to Yogyakarta. The hotel is housed in charming colonial villas along a very busy stretch of road between the airport and the town centre. Once inside, however, it feels like an oasis and you wouldn’t notice the traffic.
The price of the hotel is excellent value for money considering the rates of other Western branded hotels around town.

We booked a deluxe room – it was comfortable and competent, though it didn’t have a bath and was somewhat “business like” and doesn’t have too much character (but then again, considering the price, what am I complaining about).

What makes the hotel memorable, though, is the intimate lobby area and the courtyard which are great for a coffee or drinks in the evenings. Service of the staff is impeccable – very friendly but not overbearing (all the smiles seem genuine); the security guard voluntarily help us to our room after we got a little lost after check-in; having made the mistake of crossing the busy road to the convenience store and waiting five minutes to cross back, the car park attendants voluntarily blocked traffic to help me get back... and the little experiences go on.

Location wise, the only drawback is that there are not a lot of good local restaurants around the hotel (though taxis are plentiful); but for visiting sites within Yogya it's only a short ride to town.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Yogyakarta.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
FranckLOISON35, General Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2009

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at The Phoenix Hotel during your recent visit to Yogyakarta and for sharing your comments with TripAdvisor visitors.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guest are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for everyday.
Your kind words have been passed on to our team. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.
Looking forward to your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,520)

Reviewed June 29, 2009

What a fantastic hotel, the staff are extremely friendly. We had our wedding reception there at Phoenix ballroom.... Everything was more than we expected, the food are fantastic and most of all, they did everything to make our reception such a dream come true for us.
All of our guests that flew from Australia for our wedding enjoying their stay there as well.
Malioboro are just 5 mins away, also circle K just the oposite of the hotel. Becak or taxi are easy to get.... Also before we check out thought I might try their spa and massage... It was great! a bit expensive but worthwhile to try.
Definently will come back!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the overall level of services provided for your wedding reception in our hotel. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guest are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for everyday.

Reviewed June 25, 2009

It's the third time we have stayed and really enjoyed the experience again and again... Great place to stay, nice interior design, clean and neat room, also close to down town area. Circle K, Mc Donald and Pizza Hut are just around the corner. We would definitely visit The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 15, 2009

We spent four nights in the Phoenix and were very impressed. The staff were friendly and helpful (not to mention plentiful) and the accommodation offers great value for a 4/5 star.

It is a bit of a walk into town, running the gauntlet of becak drivers and there aren't too many restaurants close by. Having said that, the in-house restaurant, set around an open courtyard with a koi carp pool, serves up great food.

If you visit Yogya be careful of the scams (nothing too serious, just annoying) - from those claiming to work for a government batik school (there aren't any) to instant friends who turn into guides.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 7, 2009

The Phoenix Hotel is an excellent value, and I was skeptical about booking at such a low rate. However, upon arrival; we were greeted by a full service staff in the lobby with cold towels and lemon tea. The staff is very friendly and always greet you with a smile; and even remember your name!! The waiting room is nice with antique furniture and pictures show casing some history of Java. The property has a lot of charm, and it's worth strolling around, or sitting in a common space with some tea to watch the world go by at a javanese pace.

We got a deluxe room surrounding the pool; and it was very clean and spacious; and came with the dailiy javanese snake fruit which is very tasty. The location is between the two major shopping districts 1. malioboro 2. area around galleria. Additionally, there is a bus stop in front. It is recommended not to walk too far due to traffic congestion; but either taxi,rickshaw, or bus are all great options. If you want to head out to the newest mall w/ a Carrefour; try the bus station for 3000idr each way. Their bus system is MUCH easier to ride than bus systems in the USA.

The only imperfection is the layout of the restroom where the toilet was very close to the wall.

Overall, you cannot beat the hotel, ambience, and staff for the cost most anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Luxury Link

Reviewed June 3, 2009

i'm a local tourist, but for me this hotel is unforgettable, with the colonial decor and very clean room. even they provide airport pick up with no charges, and the one thing i enjoyed the most was, excellent morning breakfast in a very comfy place, is it fair to other hotel if i only want to stay in this hotel during my visit in
jogja?

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 30, 2009

Stayed here in May 2009. Online booked an executive room, which was well worth the small extra cost. The hotel, the staff, the room, the ameneties were all excellent, and this place is exceptional value for the price. But...... other travellers be aware of my experience.... When I booked in, my credit card was swiped, this is done to perform an authorisation transaction on the card (basically, it ensures the hotel will get their payment, the authorisation flags estmated funds on the card to be set aside so when payment is made, the authorised funds are matched to the actual cost and funds are released from my bank to the hotel Bank) So, my card was authorised on check-in for estimated cost. When I checked out, a transaction was done to debit my c/card. This was done as a new transaction and never married to the initial authorisation. Now my card has the initial authorised funds locked up AND the actual charges taken out. Normally not an issue, but as I had 1 day left in a hotel in Singapore before flying home, Imagine my suprise when my card was rejected in my next hotel in Singapore (so much for budgeting) I spent the next 8 hours phoning between my bank in Australia and the Hotel in Indonesia (at no small expense) before this was resolved (all that had to be done was a letter from the hotel recommending cancellation of the initial Auth had to be faxed to my bank.) As this all occured on a Sunday, other options were limited. A very stressful time for me not knowing if I could pay for my room or not. The Phoenix Hotel either made an error in they way they processed my card or their handling process itself is very suspect. I have marked Service down, but, this is just to highlight this payment issue. The actual staff service in the hotel was faultless. Having said all that, if it wasn't for this problem it would have been a great experience all round. (or if I was rich lol)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

I was quite disapointed to hear about the problem associated with your recent stay with us. There is simply no excuse for the failure on our part. It appears, that you did catch us at our worst, and for that I deeply apologize.
I am sure you recognize that your most recent experience is not typical of our usual high level of service. It is a great disappointment to me whenever we fail, but it is of particular concern to let down a valued guest.

Thank you once again for your constructive comments. These will certainly enable us to improve the quality of our services to better meet the needs of our guests