“Loved staying here”

The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection
Ranked #6 of 205 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Loved our stay here for four nights and whilst l could pick on some finer points like others have l wouldn't choose to go down that path.
Would have to say it was a great base to explore Yogyakarta for the first time. The staff seem to cope pretty well with the volume and needs of a very diverse cultural patronage.

In fact one of the charms was the cross cultural patronage of the hotel, got to engage with many people on different agendas from different countries inclusive of some locals.

The location is pretty central (actually wouldn't want to be any closer) and l couldn't find another hotel with a better option anyway.

Beautiful, elegant hotel and felt very at home.

Almost forgot to mention we went to the Sultan's Palace on a Saturday (around 1pm) and the Gamelan player's were absolutely amazing.

Ps. Actually if there was anything l would advise management about its please update your visitors brochure with more accurate info. i.e.: Sultan's Palace closes at 2.30pm ....

Room Tip: Room over the pool. Did have our 17 yo son with us and had a roll-away bed in the same small room, a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Thomas_Evrard, General Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear monkeybusiness1

Greetings from your lovely hotel in Yogyakarta

Thank you so much for your comments on our hotel and for your appreciation of the work we are doing. It is a rare pleasure to receive this kind of appreciation, and I would like you to be sure that I have shared your comments to our team.

Thank you for brightening our day and giving us the extra motivation to continue serving our hotel with heart.

Thank you once again for your advice and we will keep your feedback as our priority project, we are waiting to welcoming you back in what we would like to be your home in Jogja.

Very Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed in this hotel from March 1 to 4, 2014. What a lovely hotel in Yogyakarta!

Pros
1) LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
- located about 20 to 25 minutes drive from airport, including traffic-
- located about 15 to 20 minutes walk from Maliboro street, where is a shopping centre with decent restaurant/fast food options
- located about 10 minutes drive from a Macdonald's Drive Thru
- located about 15 to 20 minutes drive from Plaza Ambarukmo Shopping centre, where there are decent eating places, starbucks, and a fantastic massage place (De Wave Massage)

2) Heritage Hotel with lots of history
Being in the hotel itself is just a retreat for your senses - you can just imagine yourself being in the same hotel, 50 years ago and how it would feel like. There were so many Kodak moments, especially at the breakfast area and the museum room

4) Super Clean and Lush rooms
The rooms are clean, well maintained, toiletries are replenished everyday, and your shoes are even arranged neatly.

5) Very friendly, professional and helpful Staff
From the Bell staff, to the reception, right down to housekeeping - their staff are just amazing. They are really friendly, helpful and most importantly... Sincere... They do not expect a tip, but that's definitely appreciated :)

Cons - I really cannot think of any. One thing they can work on, is to increase the number of therapists at MySpa. My friends and I were trying to book a slot over 3 days, but were not able to get a slot at the same time as there were only 2 therapists.

Room Tip: If possible, pick a room with pool view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank abCLARICEfg

Dear abCLARICEfg

Greetings from your lovely hotel in Yogyakarta….

Thank you for your detailed comments and compliments of our service and facility.
We sincerely apologies that we didn’t completely meet your expectation during your stay with us.

We are really concern about your feedback and we have already addressed your concerns to the departments in charge. They will give their best in order to provide better services in the future.

We thank you for helping us to develop our services and we look forward to welcome you back soon to see our improvements.

Very best regards

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is a very nice place with friendly staff. We were unlucky having a dark room on ground floor of the main building which looks into a wall of a backyard. The location is in a very busy part of Yogyakarta on a main road with crazy traffic.

Room Tip: dont book a room on ground floor of main building
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Reisedoppel

Dear reisedoppel

Greetings from your nice hotel in Yogyakarta

Thank you very much!

We are honored by your comment, and all our associates here are very touched by your compliments.

Thank you for your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

I spent a lovely weekend at this hotel with 11 other girls. We had 6 rooms between us.
The location is close to the markets, restaurants & shops (5-10mins rickshaw ride). The hotel was able to always efficiently organise transport for us (even when there were 12 of us).
The front staff were friendly and helped us book tours and transport.
The rooms were clean and comfortable.
Breakfast had a wide selection of food and a lovely courtyard (indoor and undercover area also available).
The lunch and dinner options were also great. Little pricey (for Indonesia) but by no means expensive for a nice meal.
Spa facilities also available and of the girls who booked a spa session, they thought it was very professional and relaxing.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear lauracliff

Greetings from your great hotel in Yogyakarta…

It is a pleasure to read your great review of our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and your friends and all went smoothly.

We hope you’ll have the opportunity to come to Yogyakarta soon and to have the pleasure of welcoming you once more.

Very warm regards,

Reviewed March 3, 2014

The pool is lovely and the gym is very spacious for a hotel gym. the simple room I had was spacious and clean. The minibar food was interesting and locally sourced.
The building is beautiful.
the hotel is located on a very busy street -- it is total and complete chaos right outside the front door. Walking out the front door to the corner and realizing I could not cross the street in any direction at any time with any degree of safety... that was a first for me. I promptly returned back to the hotel and went to the pool for the day because I just didn't want to deal with chaos and/or being driven around town in a car.
The staff is very friendly and helpful -- and they make a mean iced coffee and a mean watermelon juice.
The breakfast buffet is very, very nice with lots of local and western options.
I did see a rat crawl into the lobby -- but it is all open space and this is Indonesia -- so it wasn't entirely unexpected. At least it wasn't a dragon!
The only bad thing about this place is that it is part of the Accor chain, which is the worst hotel chain imaginable. Having spent the last 2 1/2 years in Paris, I have stayed in a lot of their hotels -- and I never get any kind of an upgrade or a special welcome or a free night. It is outrageous and exceptionally disappointing.... but not a reflection on this particular property. The hotel was not oversold when I checked in -- and I still wasn't offered an upgrade or welcome drink or anything free despite having spent at least a month in Accor hotels over the last 2 years. Instead, despite having Accor status, I was given a room with a little box of earplugs next to the bed to make sure that I was not disturbed by my proximity to the street.

Room Tip: you have to pay for decent rooms at any accor hotel -- they don't give upgrades to frequent cust...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear nnsanci

Greetings from your hotel in Yogyakarta…

We appreciate the detailed review of your experience while staying with us through Tripadvisor and giving us your feedback and review. It is very useful to us and for the people willing to visit Yogyakarta.

We take you compliment from all your positive input as well as your comment where we need to improve. We really do apologize for the inconvenience experience during your check in and for not recognizing you as a loyal Accor guest.

We do hope you will still give us opportunity to show you the progress we are doing to provide better services in the future.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Warm regards,

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Sadly, our otherwise pleasant stay at the hotel was soured by a very expensive gin & tonic. More to the point, the hotel staff's attitude towards their customer service.

We ordered two gin and tonics by the pool, under the impression that happy hour was 5-7pm. When we were presented with a bill of 450,000 RP (yes, almost 45 SGD) for two drinks we were a little confused. It turns out, happy hour is only valid in the bar, not by the pool, despite the menu being the same and the staff fetching the drink from the bar. We queried this at checkout and were met with a big fat 'cannot'. No apology, no attempt to rectify. It was labelled as our mistake.It's one thing to mislead customers about a happy hour (we also had plenty of non-happy hour drinks btw, and ate in the restaurant!) but to lay blame with the consumer for not being au fait with hotel rules (despite them not being advertised clearly) is quite another.

Regardless of happy hour, that's a very expensive couple of drinks. Even by Singapore standards that would be a lot, and there's nothing worse than a rip-off. We pointed out that, as a gesture of goodwill, to acknowledge their signage might need updating and to appease two unhappy customers, that they revert to happy hour price but we were simply waved to the door.

I expected more, given that the service elsewhere had been pretty good. I'd also advise anyone visiting Borobudur to ignore the hotel transport - step outside and hail a cab for half the price.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank loisavery
Thomas_Evrard, General Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear loisavery,

Thank you for your review and for the time you took for it.

We would like to sincerely apologize if we were not able to reach your full satisfaction and if the attitude of our team was not adapted and corresponding to your expectations.

I would like to thank you for drawing our attention to the Happy Hour signage; we may change it in the future to be even clearer and more specific.

Regarding the price of our Gin Tonic, we do some effort to keep reasonable prices despite Indonesian taxes on alcoholic beverages; and we recognize that price can be considered as expensive, especially for double shots with premium quality gin (as in your example).

Once again I would like to apologize for our insufficient explanations and for the treatment of your complain. Some actions have been taken already and some additional training will be conducted to address this specific issue.

I hope that, despite this incident, you will keep good memories of your stay and you will allow us a second chance to be your hosts in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 1, 2014

A lot of raving reviews of the place, here is my review after my stay which was of course influenced by the number of reviews of this place!

Stayed here for four nights while visiting Borobudur temples, Solo and surrounding areas.

Traffic is generally moderate-bad while on route to the hotel from the airport (takes roughly 45 minutes). We took a taxi ride from the airport (the official stand is located right at the end of the airport turn left as you depart of the arrivals gate - you will prepay and bring your coupon to a driver in a uniform)

Location is on the main-road, within 15 minutes walking distance to Jalan Maliboro (where most of the shopping is done for local stuffs). This is one of the Mgallery Collection range of hotels by Accor. Remember to write in earlier for those on Accor platinum (I seem to have difficulty getting upgrades in Indonesia for Accor Platinum without prior notice to them). First impression: Excellent hospitality. Makes you feel at home and at ease.

Had the deluxe room which could easily fit in another additional bed. Room was clean, comfortable pillows, comes with standard coffee making facilities, daily fruit basket, iron, safe, no bathtub in bathroom. Interior of the room was very well done with local art and antiques. There is a small balcony, which you can have facing the pool or the back of the road (i'm not aware of any scenic views).

Gym is small but adequate for a standard workout. Pool is really small and can be quite a crowd in evenings. Then again, the hotel was upgraded from an old building which has some historical value which I will leave you to find out. Spa was good and certainly worth a try.

Lifts. There is only one lift heading to the back section of the hotel. Had some serious issues here as it was very old and it actually broke down when I was inside it. Help was not close by and were were stuck close to 10 minutes. Not to mention, the lights went out of all of a sudden. Made a huge complaint to the manager, who kindly offered a long explanation. It needs replacement or at least a back-up lift somewhere else. If not you'll need to take the stairs to the 2nd floor (if your rooms are there).

Meals were pretty good. Had my breakfast here daily, (not to mention, you can have them to pack breakfast for you if you plan to do any sunrise visits around there area - I did ask them to pack a breakfast set for me when I did my Borobodur sunrise). On the normal breakfast day, there are lots of varieties (both local indonesian foods as well as international cuisines). Do not forget to give the "jamu" a try (a local traditional preparation/drink for a variety of reasons). I even tried lunch and dinner here. Some of the staffs need additional training in English. Got some of my menu's mixed up during ordering. I'm glad the manager on duty was there quick enough to rescue the situation.

The tour (of the hotel) - oh yes, I had mine in the afternoon. Need prior booking. The "tour-guide" needs additional training. Couldn't give much history of what really happened in the building and was struggling as much as were were asking questions. I had another very inquisitive colleague who was very curious about the building too. Perhaps some improvement in that area required.

Overall, a very good experience in this hotel. I would not expect any less of a MGalley collection accor chain. Please, fix the lifts!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear John_gpjm

Greetings from the Phoenix hotel in Yogyakarta

Thank you for your detail review. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay and our services.

We have noted your remakrs and suggestions and they will help us to provide better services in the future. We sincerely apologize for your unpleasant experience in the lift and I would like to personally assure you that some work has been done to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Thank you for the motivation and support that you gave to us by writing this review.

We are all looking forward to seeing you again for a next stay in Yogyakarta.

Best regards,