The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection
Ranked #6 of 204 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The property's fantastic. The spread and choice of breakfast is excellent. This is a short distance away from town center, and en route to airport and Prambhanan temple. Hotel room was very comfortable. Staff were very courteous too. Especially loved the choice of Javanese food available at breakfast everyday - gives you a chance to experience the local food. Great value for money. Will definitely stay here when visiting Yogja again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bhimo_Putranto, Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta. We were glad to read about your enjoyable stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a wonderful stay, it is a restored, colonial style hotel, very upscale, especially for Indonesia. The food, while priced somewhat high for Indonesia, was excellent. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, and the staff went out of its way on every occasion to ensure that we had whatever we needed. It is a 10-15 walk to Malioboro area, same by becak (because of traffic). A little off the beaten path from where most of the other tourist hotels and restaurants are located, so you have to use transportation to get there rather than a short stroll down the street. But very worthwhile to come back to at the end of the day, and to enjoy the ambience, pool and services when you want a respite from the hustle, bustle and heat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pool, in the back building. Otherwise, it is not worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with my wife, Great "old colonial java" ambiance LOVE IT.
We stayed at executive room (got free upgrade from deluxe room). Executive room is small compare with 5 stars hotel in general. Good location, about 10 minutes from Malioboro area (by becak).
Good breakfast buffet, western and eastern food selection is good, but need more Indonesia (Authentic Yogya Food) selection.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rthenu
Bhimo_Putranto, Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at The Phoenix Hotel during your recent visit to Yogyakarta and for sharing your comments with us. We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Looking forward to your next visit.
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I read the review by JGR001, Manila,Phillapines and it hits the high spots. We spent two nights at the Phoenix...would have been three but they were full. An Indonesian friend recommended and we are pleased he did. There is a reason this is rated number one hotel in Jogjakarta. Major corporate and government meetings are held here as they have good business and conference facilities. The front is an adapted home of a Chinese merchant who obviously had good taste but too much money and showed both. The remainder has been built in the same style with courtyards, balconies and a relaxed but elegant atmosphere. We booked a delux as the only room available, and its clear from reviews that each category is different as to room size and amenities. Our room was OK, large, clean and pleasantly designed. Some problems with an Ipad and internet were quickly resolved by the desk. The balcony view was on the outside and not very private or desirable. We were out of the room most of the time so it was alright as to evening noise and the view was not required. The hotel could use some freshening of fabrics, sheets and mattresses but we have no complaints. If you are using the hotel as a retreat ask for an inside room possibly overlooking the swimming pool. The hotel is fully booked often especially in bridge seasons when they offer discounts. Breakfast is a feast to please every palate but sometimes you have to ask where items you want are located in a buffet spread over several rooms. The dinner was not great: a tiny New Zealand crab in an Indonesian dish and a duck leg that was a bit dry with great mash potatoes and sweet red cabbage. Service was excellant but crab portion control went overboard! There is an excellant Chinese seafood restaurant one long block to the left as you leave:Tio Ciu. Cars and drivers are available for trips to temples in the outskirts. They are available in 3,4 and all day/8hour segments depending on where you want to go. We used the full day for Borobudur and Prambanan. Ali, our driver made it easy inspite of the heat and humidity and gave us the right choices for a restaurant lunch and a special batik shop for our purchases. The day before a driver took us to two batik shops but they did not have the quality. He coordinated with Ali. Staff listened to our needs and provided for them. A special thank you to the drivers involved.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bhimo_Putranto, Owner at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Semarang, Indonesia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This time, I would like to share my experience in staying at the Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta (one of MGallery Collections) this past weekend. We arrived in the hotel in the evening that day after struggling for few hours on our way to Yogyakarta The hotel is easy to find as it is centrally located within 50 metres from the intersection where the famous "Tugu" (monument) is located.

Upon our arrival in the hotel, I immediately went to the reception's counter and did the check-in. I saw three people were standing in front of me and they were being served by two hotel staffs. At first, I did not notice them but minutes later, I realized three of them were in the same group : Two of them were hotel guests and another person was their tour guide as I supposed.

I was in queue for minutes already (4~5 minutes) and I didn't see that their check-in process was about to complete so I was looking at the big hotel's catalog that was being displayed not far away from the reception's counter. Before doing that, I saw another staff was present in the reception counter but she was talking to her colleagues who were helping the other guests and amazingly, none of those three hotel staffs even asked/cared to help me.

This (long check-in process) was perfectly okay if there were many guests or even a large group of guests coming at the same time but there were no other guests were present at that time besides me and those guests who were checking-in. This hotel property claimed themselves as a five stars' hotel and I started wondering how they earned such reputation by simply looking the way they handled their guests who were about to check-in. From that moment, I sensed something not right was about to happen.

After waiting for 7~8 minutes, another hotel staff showed up from the back office and helped me with the check-in, which was very efficient. Within few minutes, we were in our room already. Room was small but well organized and one good thing : There was a small balcony outside the room so that we could go outside and sat there to enjoy the atmosphere. One more thing : The elevator that took us to our room in the 3rd floor appeared to be as old as the hotel building so for seconds, we were quite concern with our safety.

After spending time a while in our room, we started realizing that both bed and pillow sheets were smelly and so do the bath towels. It seems those sheets had been laundered without using detergent for many times. After few washes, someone can easily smell the odor from those sheets. In one of the pillows, we even found a hole (torn fabric), a no no condition in a five stars' property especially for those that were classified under MGallery Collection.

The color of towels in the bathroom was almost light brown (not white) and my wife expressed her feeling that this hotel forgot to pay attention to small things. Her comment really surprised me as she was a type of person that did not really pay attention to details as much as I did whenever we stayed in a particular hotel. When she gave her comment, something obviously was not properly done and I believe she found few things that annoyed her especially those smelly bed and pillow sheets as well as bath towels.

The marble condition in the bathroom also looked aging and dirty but overall our stay this time was slightly nicer compare to our first experience in staying in the same property back in 2005 when this hotel was not even classified under MGallery Collection. The flooring area in our room also a bit dusty. Until today, I (still) kept wondering how this hotel earned such a (high) rating in Tripadvisor as in my personal opinion, it would be difficult for this hotel to even quality for a four stars' rating.

During my stay, I saw many foreigners stay in this hotel so hopefully, the management will realize this is the right time to upgrade their hotel's quality. Less than one kilometer away, there is a newly opened hotel that definitely offers much better service and quality and in terms of cost, I would say it is within the price range of the Phoenix Hotel. So, I don't really see this hotel is really popular among local tourists due to its current condition but they may be quite popular among foreigners (western) for years as lots of them love to stay in historical (classic) hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the swimming pool as it has nicer view than the others
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bambang S
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta. I am sorry that some of your experience did not meet your expectations, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Phoenix is a beautiful colonial hotel centrally located in the city. I stayed here for only a night w/ a friend and was unable to check out all of its offerings (pool, restaurants, gym and spa). The room was spacious and clean. I slept very comfortably in my bed. Unfortunately, we didn't get a view of the pool and courtyard, as our window faced the streets.

I wish that we could've found more time to fully experience everything that it has to offer. Overall, a pleasant experience. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends