“Unexpectedly fantastic hotel in an Indonesian province”

The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection
Ranked #6 of 207 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We booked for an overnight stay at Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta (June 16-17) and was promptly upgraded to a suite upon check-in. The hotel staff were very nice, warm and accommodating. The room was clean and cozy, with complimentary internet access. The hotel decor was splendid and made you feel like you are in an exotic location, which it really is, being the gateway to Borobudur. The breakfast, though, was just so-so. Overall, I would still recommend this hotel to travelers who plan to visit Borobudur, and go around Yogyakarta as well.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bhimo_Putranto, Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at The Phoenix Hotel during your recent visit to Yogyakarta and for sharing your comments with us. We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

It's a very beautiful hotel! the room is small but very cozy. The hotel restaurant also offers very nice buffet on every Friday night~

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Bhimo_Putranto, Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

We appreciate for your stay at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta, and for sharing your comment.
Our Deluxe room, Executive room, and Suite are more bigger than Superior room that you stay during your visit here.
I am sure that this feedback will encourage to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Having read some of the reviews on the Phoenix I was looking forward to my stay. Let me say I am not a massive Accor fan. So many times I have felt disappointed or let down by their properties but given the reviews I thought it was worth a shot.

Fortunately, this time around, I managed to find what must be a jewel in the crown within the Accor chain. The property itself is lovely. An old converted building which simply oozes charm, the decoration and layout is lovely. I had a room overlooking the pool which I enjoyed enormously.

Breakfast is super. For about $9 (AUD) you get the most sumptuous feast. I despair of the fruit juices so many hotels serve at breakfast.....at the phoenix they make it fresh! Another great winner for me was that I could get decent poached eggs in a morning (by the time I got to the Phoenix I had been travelling around Asia for about three months and in my experience poached eggs, at least good ones, were just about impossible to find!!).

Whilst my overall experience was good and this reflects in the rating I would make just two comments which I hope are acted upon by hotel management

1) The quality of the water in the hotel pool could be better. You appear to have a problem with the filtering and the water is not so clear as it might be. This slightly spoiled my enjoyment of the pool.

2) Breakfast, as I have mentioned, is good. BUT your decision to leave the fresh fruit uncovered seems a little odd. On each morning I observed lots of small flies on the surface of the fruit (and choose not to have any). Either put some covers over the fruit or put it inside.

The above two comments aside this was a good stay and I would return.

Room Tip: Not a room tip but a car hire tip!.....don't book it in the hotel. Its twice the price of bookin...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank stirl0
Bhimo_Putranto, Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

We would like to thank you for choosing with The Phoenix Hotel and sharing your concerns. We were pleased to read about your positive comment. I am sure that this feedback will serve as encouragement for our staff to serve you better in the future. Looking forward for your next visit.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Can't believe I forgot to review this hotel, as it is one of my favourites. We stayed last year in July 2011. It's just a beautiful, stylish, classy place. An old colonial building, it has history everywhere. Probably the most lovely hotel I've ever stayed in, in fact. There are antiques all over the place. And little touches like a box of spices in incense, a water bowl with floating flowers or a mini gamelan playing during breakfast. The pool attendants wear a kind of colonial safari suit.
And it's relatively inexpensive for this type of place (5star) - we paid about $70 US a night and an extra $10 adults and $5 kids for an amazing buffet breakfast I still dream about. It was very easy to get around from this hotel; becaks right out the front at affordable prices. The facilities are 5 start including a gym that was well appointed and looked after. The staff in this hotel were absolutely lovely. Every single person you pass smiles and says a polite hello. The food (we ate there a couple of nights, plus breakfast, was excellent if a bit expensive - maybe we paid $40-50 for a dinner and beer for 2 adults and 2 kids). Across the road is Three Nyonyas, which is a fatastic restaurant and a bit less expensive. There's also street eating right out front for those who are happy with that. We didn't this time, but it looked very nice.
Tours from the hotel seemed expensive. We asked a becak driver who took us to friend down a little alley way with a small tour company - we hired a car and driver to do Borobudur, Prambanan and Merapifor about half what the hotel was charging. He turned up on time, was very nice and it all went smoothly. Phoenix is also nice and close to the station - about 5 minutes in a becak.
There were a lot of Indonesian people staying in the hotel, mostly families with kids. Our kids had a wonderful time playing in the pool with them.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AustralianLucy

Thank you for taking your time to post your comment during your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Looking forward for your next visit.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Just came back from 2 nights stay at the Phoenix Hotel. We have to agree with most of the reviews here. The hotel itself is beautiful and the management out in a lot of effort to making it stands out. Staying here is like you are in Raffles Singapore or E&O in Penang, it's luxury and yet affordable. The complimentary sweets and snake fruits in the room is really a nice thought. Staff are pleasantly helpful and friendly, however they are just not been well trained as comparing other similar type of hotel. For example, the luggage that we stored with the concierge while waiting for our room to be ready wasn't been sent to the room directly instead we have to phoned the reception to ask for our luggage. And when they sent us the luggage it was mixed with other guests' luggages and luckily we realised it otherwise some other guest would have gone mad searching for their luggages. Another occasion when we were at the pool side in the afternoon ordered drinks, it basically took them over 15mins to serve us the fresh coconut and iced chocolate. And they forgotten about the straw for my coconut, so the waiter has to run back to the kitchen and get me the straw and later on when we almost finished our drinks only they send us some complimentary nuts. Can you imagine a person has to run so many times to and back from the kitchen just to serve both of us...Having said that all the staff are really nice, you know they tried their best to serve the guest.

Our first room has got this loud noise from the bathroom and we asked for a change. They quickly got us another room and the second room was really good but i realised that i booked for a deluxe king with balcony...they given me a deluxe king without the balcony. I emailed the reservation department and got a reply the next day. They apologise for their mistake and offered to upgrade us to the suite, but it was 6 in the evening when i read the email, so i decided not to have any room change. (see...they could have told me about the offer before i leave for my tour in the morning) Anyway the room is spacious and bed is very comfortable. The superior room that my other family members stayed were small, so it's good to pay for the extra for a bigger room. For bathroom amenities, i seriously thing they could have done better than this. The shampoo and shower gel doesn't match with the luxury image of the hotel. I thought novotel done much better than this.

We did enjoy our dinner at the restaurant. The pumpkin gnochi is superb! soto ayam is not up to my standard eventhough the presentation looks great. Breakfast wise, i think is ok. Great selection from continental to cook breakfast and local delights, but i find the quality of the food is not as good as it looks. Waffle and pancake is cold and hard, cold cut looks sad and the local food doesn't attract us at all. The good site of it is, they have fresh juices corner and egg station where they make perfect omelette or poached eggs.

We use the hotel's transportation to and from the airport and also a full day tour to Borobudur and Prabanam Temple. Price wise i think is reasonable, comparing with other travel agents that I got quotation from. They prepared wet towels for you each time after the tour around temple and there are sweets and CDs where you can select the music that you like (love this!)

Dwiko the driver who picked us from the airport is really nice. He recommend to us places to go and arrange the Ramayana Show for us.

Overall is a great stay, but if they can get everything right from the first place...this would be the best hotel ever. Next I will be off to B-lay Tong Phuket by M Gallery also...look forward to it and hope it won't disappoint me.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lawneoh

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta. We were pleased to read about your positive feedback. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Phoenix Hotel.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Old Colonial building with interior courtyard, very centrally located. Staff was great at assisting requests, room was very comfortable. Hotel food is hotel food. We really liked the place.

Room Tip: Rooms 236-268 and 226-368 are occassionally a little noisy, not too bad
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leslie T

Thank you for staying with The Phoenix Hotel and posting your comment. We were glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward for your next visit.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Best find in Yogyakarta ! Classy, historic and luxurious hotel. Stylish Javanese furniture and works of art arond the hotel, spacious rooms, lovely relaxation / pool area. Rooms are good value and service is generally very friendly and efficient. Restaurant environment is very good and prices are OK. Really liked the little balconies, great for a coffee or an afternoon beer.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ninokochan

Thank you for your comments during your stay with us. We were pleased to read about your enjoyable stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.