“Cheap and cheerful”

Jakarta, Indonesia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This cafe/restaurant is handily placed in the middle of Prawiroto)man 1 street, opposite Rosella hotel and another one (very convenient if you are staying in one of them as I was).
Stuck in the hotel because of torrential rain at lunchtime I spotted this cafe was open so ran across the road to get something for lunch. Although the cafe was quiet, the service was quick and my lunch tasty. After lunch and lingering over a java coffee, I chatted with the staff on duty (Mas Gape) whose English is quite good (not always the case in some of these places) and found they also open in the evenings.
Returning the following evening Mas Gape was again on duty, and I was remembered and warmly welcomed by him. The service was again quick, even though a few more customers were in that night, and the food tasty. (They serve Indonesian and Western food - don't know why it only lists Indonesian on this site?) Lingering over a bottle of the local beer - Bintang (advertised as the coldest in the street and mine certainly was pleasantly cool) - at the bar after eating I again chatted with Mas Gape, and found out the cafe had been open 8+ years. When I queried him as to the relatively small menu, compared to some other places, he said that this (February) was their quiet or low season, and did not get many customers, so they cut back on their menu to avoid wasteing food, but also to concentrate on serving what they did have well. As they get busier they expand their menu.
After taking another (cold) beer I complimented Mas Gape on the service and my tasty meals, paid my bill and went back to the hotel. The bill and beer prices were at the lower end of what seems to be on offer in this street, so all-in-all a recomended place to come and eat or just sip a drink.

• Visited February 2013