“Nice”

$172.50*
and up
Private Tour:Prambanan Temple and Yogyakarta Palace along with Water Castle
Reviewed August 14, 2013

impressive area and palace grounds. Disadvantage was, that our guide was continously repeating herself like a broken record. As we could understand some Bahasa Indonesia, we could get some info from other visitors/guides going through the palace grounds.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

There are some interesting items to see but exhibits are not anoted in any other language than bahasa so unless you are blessed to know this language then it is not easy to know what you are looking at.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I feel terrible saying this, but this place is SO boring! There is absolutely nothing to write home about here. Before going there, I had read the Lonely planet book and as usual LP had made it look very interesting and mysterious, full of history and art and culture!
I wanted to see the Wayang Kulit puppet show (shadows) and was told to go this way and that with endlessly confusing directions. People (who work in the palace) had no idea what they were talking about and after 1 hour I found out that the show was not happening anyway because of Ramadan! (Ramadan was over 2 days ago). I don't know why and how Ramadan has anything to do with art and culture from the past but never mind.
The palace has displays of pictures from the Palace's past. There are some picture with info. written in English but most pictures have no description at all or only in Bahasa, so they mean nothing to non-Bahasa speakers. And all these pictures are mediocre. Everywhere there are signs saying 'do not step'. It made me wonder where I could step and maybe I should float around! There are many porcelain cups and dishes and many Batik prints and many other 'gifts' given to the Sultan by the Western rulers. However most of the gifts are so tacky that it reflects poorly on the West's generosity! Please do not expect to see any gold, diamond or even gems. There is a bit of silver on display. The pictures are displayed on walls with small white tiles: the kind we associate with public toilets. It does not look good at all and does not do any justice to the pictures either. Upkeep of the place (i.e paint on the walls etc) is not ship shape.
Before going in you have to dress 'appropriately'. Meaning I was asked to remove my cap! Bearing in mind we are on the Equator here and it gets intensely sunny from 9.00am! For once I did envy the women in Hijab!
No restaurants inside and surprisingly outside the place! There are plenty of food stalls if you are willing to take the risk, but they did not look clean and the whole place was very crowded, noisy and sweaty in general.
The LP also suggests song and dance shows may crop up if you hang around at the right time in the morning. I was there for 4 hours (simply because I wanted to see some performance) but there was none.
The fees for camera is 1000 Rupiah. I paid that and when I returned to my hotel, I realised that I had not even bothered to take a snap! I think that says it all.

2  Thank sagarak9
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Yogyakarta is a special region and the Sultan's family played a special role in Indonesia' political development and its eventual independence from the Dutch. Not to be missed!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

A pity to see that the grounds and the building are totally neglected. Do not bother to get here and enjoy Yogjakarta street live and a lunch at the Phoenix hotel.