$65
$51
$62
$43
$37
All reviewstour agencybudget homestayclothing storesricebackpackersborobudurmotorbikeindonesiaambience
Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

Clean, cozy and quite. I got the fan room but it quite large. It has a "gazebo" if your friend come. The bathroom clean too. Its in the middle of town so its near everywhere. It has atmosphere of Javanese of Yogyakarta! So great

Stayed: November 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed September 14, 2017

Ndalem Mbak Charly is a budget homestay ran by an Indonesian-Dutch family roughly 6.5 km from the center of Yogyakarta. I chose to stay here because it was closer to Prambanan and easy to get onto the main highways to the temples (traffic near the center city can be extremely hectic).

The family also runs a tour agency and have motorbikes for rent (70K-125K depending on motor size). Plenty to do if you want to use their services to tour the main attractions (or others offered throughout Java). Charly was extremely helpful in providing information regarding some of the attraction I wanted to visit. She also helped book my minibus and ferry ticket for Jerpara/Karimunjawa.

Breakfast is included for those that stay here, and I found it to be a nice addition when waking up (I'm not a morning person so venturing for food early in the morning is the last thing I want to think about).

My only complaints are that the fan rooms are a bit stuffy and the fans are somewhat weak. Perhaps in the future ceiling fans would make a great addition to this homestay. Also, the fan rooms did not have mosquito nets (another great addition for the future) and there were a few occasions I was bit by a few skeeters that made their way through the open windows. At night time the temperature does drop to where it is comfortable to sleep with a good fan and the windows open. With these two additions I would rate the homestay 5/5. Nevertheless, this definitely shouldn't stop you from using them for accommodations.

They are close to plenty of local eateries, a lot of local fashion clothing stores, and an hour from all the main attractions (Prambanan, Borobudur, beaches, etc.)

I enjoyed my stay and would use Ndalem Mbay Charly and their tour agency (Pramitran) again!

Room Tip: Air conditioning
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2017

It's near the campus area, so there are a lot of café nearby, won't hard to find place to eat. The room was okay, ac works out fine, it's pretty clean and also the shared bathroom clean as well. They also served us breakfast, tough there isn't any choice nor you'll offered any. So basically you'll just get what they gave you regardless you like it or not. But, it's mainly Indonesian food like nasi goreng (fried rice), white rice with glass noodles and sautéed tempéh with veggies (fermented soybeans), that kind of food. The taste is pretty good, not really delicious, but not bad either. If you don't like most of Indonesian food, I guess you have to give them heads up first, maybe they can served bread or something else for you. The only problem I have with this place is, it's a little hard to find, since there is no sign anywhere. So we have to ask people. But, overall it's a good deal for backpackers or to stay just for sleep.

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed September 4, 2016

The homestay is located in a mainly suburban, student area which means it’s close to some good value eating joints. It is on a quiet residential street but close to main roads.

When we arrived, there was no one on reception. Eventually someone arrived any we checked in. Unfortunately, the homestay appears to have no one around for long periods although we found out later that the staff can be found round the back - where they seem to stay. This can be unnerving if you have a problem.

Charly (a nice Dutch woman owner) is very helpful, honest and informative.

The communal areas are good for hanging out. The three shared bathrooms are not clean, we found cockroaches in one of them and suffer from lack of ventilation. They do though each have a cold shower, toilet, sink and toiletries.

The room is basic with twin beds, a fan and a table with a lamp. It is clean. We had outside windows too. It was also quiet.

Indonesian breakfast is delivered to your door and was very tasty. Wifi was sporadic and kept cutting out and returning.

We paid a surcharge to use the fancy pool in the hotel (about a minute walk away) and can recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2016

We stayed for 2 nights in this homestay and we really loved it! Everyone is lovely and helpful around and the place is beautiful and clean. The room was big and comfortable and just like the pictures. Good location, good environment, cool wifi and good service. We had a great experience and I really recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple