“Unforgettable Javanese grandiosity” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Tentrem Yogyakarta
Ranked #4 of 193 Hotels in Yogyakarta
“Unforgettable Javanese grandiosity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the reviews online. Today is my last day here and it has impressed me more than many hotels. The big pluses are the palpable amiable staff's hospitability, the more than comfortable rooms with impressive amenities (eg toiletries, multiadaptable sockets, interactive TV, mattress, cleanliness), a pot pouri of different continent breakfast and lovely swimming pool and gym. My wife wanted to use the spa today and the receptionist was more than happy to let us check out an hour late.

Some of the reviewers were perhaps unkind saying the hotel is surrounded by slumps. The socioeconomic divide may be obvious but this hotel has created the much needed jobs here. I walked around an evening until 730pm and had some hawker food. I saw the abject poverty which is rife in certain area but the people are friendly and approachable. I have little issue staying in this hotel again. I rented a driver and car for 12 hours yesterday (for 500k rupiah) and visited Borobudor,Merapi and Prambanan. Finished off at Malioboro Street. I don't think many people stay in Jogya just to visit the city so staying in a less that affluent area is certainly not an issue for me.

I travel frequently around the world and IMHO for the so called bang for your bucks, this hotel gets both thumbs up from me.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank ThePaddyField

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with the whole family including my parents, sister, husband, and my 5 year old son. Believe it or not, we are visiting Jogja only to stayed in this "5 star best hotel in Central Java" - just like the Owner of this hotel always said in the media.

What we like in this hotel:
+ The size of the room is perfect
+ There's kids playground facility
+ Duck King Restaurant (one of the best restaurant for chinese food)
+ All the staff wearing beautiful uniform, like no other hotel have it
+ All carpets were beautifully designed using batik pattern.
+ They serve many variety of "jamu" (javanese traditional drink), and it was good, healthy and delicious. I really like the hotel idea to introduce and preserve Indonesia culture.

What we don't like in this hotel:
- The hotel is located in a rundown area in Jogja. If you are swimming in the pool, you are directly facing slum houses of poor citizen in Jogja. It just felt ironic because there's social inequality between this luxury hotel with the surrounding area.
- My parents said that they felt this hotel is not yet finished. And I must say I agree with them. The lobby was felt big and empty, there is no welcoming sense at all. When we got checked in, there's couple workman fixing the corridor ceiling. And also during the night we went to the bar and we found there's a large bucket holding continuous leaking water from the ceiling. Oh, this is definitely not yet a 5 star hotel.
- For the staff, some of them was really nice, but others staff need to speak faster. I just cant stand to someone who speaks and act slowly.
-For the breakfast, it just wasnt good. Probably because we are stayed in a fasting month, the food was felt tasteless. The fried chicken was cold, hard and dry. The pizza was way too salty. The dimsum was too mushy. My sister ordering banana smoothies and it was plain, the strawberry juice too sour for our taste. Sorry, we didn't like it.
- For the room: The TV always broken, I dont know why. The door was really heavy and there's no door stoper, so when we try to open it or close it, you will get a noisy sound and your neighbour could hear it too.I just felt they still need to learn how to manage a 5 star hotel properly.
- The hotel architecture was too european. I think if you were serving "jamu" and your staff using batik, why you are making an european castle for your hotel?

After reading the comments from TripAdvisor and how the Owner is promoting the greatness of his hotel, I was very keen to stay here. But this hotel not meet 5 star standard.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank s_ismanto
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed here for three nights before flying home and we were not disappointed. As soon as you get out of the car your breath is taken away as the hotel is just out of this world.

The service provided was excellent and members of staff were always there to help and extremely friendly. Ok not every member of staff has great English but you are in Indonesia so to me that is not a negative.

The room was spacious, clean and the bed was so comfortable. We slept one night for 16 hours without waking.

The breakfast was to die for, just yum yum yum. I never have seen such choice in a hotel in my life just excellent. Staff always checking you were ok and showing you everything.

We had a early start one morning and a beautiful breakfast box was provided to us. The hotel also arranges tours and give you their best advice. The hotel also provides a complimentary car service into town. We walked back from town a few evenings and it took about 30 minutes.

The food in the bar was also really good, they have two menus there. We ate one evening in the Chinese restaurant and to us this was a downfall for the hotel....no thank you. So our advice is stick to the bar for food which served everything.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joy W
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a really nice hotel - very new, very clean, good facilities. The location is good, near the main attractions of jogja.
The rooms were great, but there were a few minor details that hadn't been thought through properly by the hotel. The TV system was weird, the shower didn't drain very well and the hair drier fell apart when you touched it. That said, all these issues were fixed very quickly by the staff and they were pretty minor in the scheme of things. The hotel is still quite new so some minor tweaks/improvements will no doubt be made.
The staff are helpful and the food good - the breakfast is very good, an impressive buffet style that wouldn't be out of place in a Shangri-La hotel.
The hotel itself is very large by the standards of jogja and almost feels out of place there. There are other options that would result in a more 'authentic' stay here. However, I think it's a great choice if you want a top quality international-style hotel for your stay in jogja.

Semarang, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This time, I would like to share my recent experience in staying in one of the newest hotels in Yogyakarta, Tentrem hotel. This hotel is being owned by one of the largest herbal medicine factories in Indonesia and I believe this is the first hotel they own and operate.

Actually, I had heard about this hotel since last year as some of my friends who were working in the building materials kept talking about this (luxury) project. From what I had heard from a friend, this hotel used the largest quantity of travertine marbles in Indonesia (in commercial projects). Finally, I had the chance to visit this hotel during my day trip to Yogyakarta last May. After looking at few facilities and sat down for half an hour, we decided to stay in this hotel this past weekend.

This time, we arrived early in Yogyakarta as I left Semarang early morning with the purpose of avoiding bad (weekend) traffic during the day. Both of me and my wife were quite impressed with the level of service performed by most staffs in Tentrem Hotel during our stay right from the minute we arrived in the hotel until the time we checked out.

We arrived around 9:30 am and we proceeded straight away for check-in. Check-in was very efficient and the receptionist was very courteous when I requested a room with Mt. Merapi's view. Although the room was not available that time but I didn't feel disappointed after learning her attitude as she did some checking on the room availability and I did believe in her honestly that the room was not available. The attitude of the receptionist immediately gave me a good impression on the hotel service.

In my opinion and based on personal experience, such a high level of service can only be found in established hotels or in what so-called five stars diamond hotels but not in a newly opened hotel like Tentrem Hotel. In many occasions, based on my personal experience in a newly open hotel or in many hotels in Indonesia, such simple requests such as early check-in, late check-out, rooms with view etc could be turned down easily by receptionists but it did not happen in this hotel. So, I sincerely believe this hotel must have been run by a highly trained management as other businesses run under the same owner.

Within ten minutes after our arrival, we were in our room already : Our room was clean and everything was working properly during our stay. I had no complaint whatsoever : The air conditioner worked properly and so did all TV channels. Bedroom was clean (bed was so comfortable) and well maintained, and so did the bathroom area (no complaint at all). Our biggest concern was with soundproof but this time, we didn't experience any noise problem as they put us in the 7th floor.

We went to the pool area and I truly believe this hotel has invested a huge amount of money in buying expensive mosaics to be used in their pool area and from distance, it looked fantastic. The only minus point was the fact that they almost had no (green) garden in the hotel (due to limited land area ?) but for a short stay, it didn't really matter. They also had one of the best kids clubs I had ever seen in Yogyakarta.

Breakfast was excellent (good selection and good quality food). Food presentation was truly excellent as well and I did believe the management really put their time and energy in having excellent food presentation in the breakfast area. It was quite unique as I didn't really see the similar concept anywhere in Indonesia.

Another (minor) event happened when the receptionist was telling me, during check-out, that there was an additional surcharge for breakfast but after telling her that only both of me and my wife attended the breakfast, she quickly rectified this mistake, a condition that could easily create an argument/inconvenience in hotel guests should this event happen somewhere else.

In summary, I sincerely believe Tentrem Hotel easily be rated as the best hotel in Yogyakarta right now. In my personal opinion, there no hotel in town that can come close to what Tentrem Hotel has to offer for now. Maybe there is one or two hotels has something extra to offer but generally, Tentrem hotel is still the best hotel in town. I have been staying in different 4 and 5 stars hotel in Yogyakarta in the past but with the presence of Tentrem Hotel, it has been successfully set up a new standard of service in hotel industry today.

Room Tip: Select the room with view of Mt. Merapi or swimming pool (if available)
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I vacationed in Yogyakarta, primarily to see Borobudur, Prambanan, batiks and curios, staying at the Hotel Tentrem for 5 days and nights, and rate this hotel the very highest. Absolutely 5-star, new, with a courteous, attentive staff that tries very hard to accommodate, and each time anticipated our early departure to Borodur and check-out with a boxed breakfast, knowing we could not eat breakfast at the hotel: After more than 30 years' travel throughout Asia, the US and Australia that is a first for me.

The hotel is well designed, well apportioned and in good taste; our room was two single beds but each was Queen-sized; the coffee shop serves an excellent breakfast buffet, and there is a late afternoon tea in the lobby for residents which liberally offers tea and Indonesian snacks. This hotel is trying hard to be travelers' first choice and I think it will succeed. It deserves first choice.

The location is somewhat removed from downtown, and there is little in the immediate neighborhood worth noting, but all of Yogya and most of the surrounds are well within taxi distance. Yogya's taxis are best reserved through a restaurant or hotel and if done so are not expensive. The hotel arranges this easily.

Hotel Tentrem is clean, high quality, gives excellent service and is very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: All rooms will be quiet.
1 Thank ScottLoar
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Excellent....excellent...excellent:)
Stayed for 3 nights ( at Executive room & deluxe) with my family.

Amazing bedrooms, beautiful lobby, good breakfast, good location & this hotel is also very children-friendly. there's a kids playground at the lower ground. No doubt the best hotel in Jogyakarta!!.

Sure will be back again to Tentrem.

• Stayed June 2013