“Good show”

Ramayana Ballet Purawisata
More attraction details
Owner description: Ramayana Ballet, performed at Purawisata Yogyakarta, Indonesia is a perfect place to watch Ramayana Ballet. Only 4 minutes from Malioboro Street. It has been staged regularly every night since 1976 and it has received an award from Indonesian Record Museum (MURI). It also has been performed at Open Air Stage (only will moved to Indoor if it rains).
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Beautiful costumes and characters. Well played out but the stage was small as we had to watch it inside due to the rain. Still enjoyed it tremendously.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our hotel told us that the show was not available at the Prambanan Temple during our very short stay in Yogya, so we ended up watching the one that is performed in the city center.

To me, the Ramayana Ballet Show is another version of the Kecak Dance from Bali, it seems to me that 90% of the story of both show are the same (please correct me if i'm wrong). The only difference is just the background music of the Ramayana is with Indo musical instruments instead of men shouting for the Kecak. While during the show, we were disturbed by the prayer broadcast from a mosque, and as well as a wedding banquet that was set right outside the outdoor theater :S

Quite a disappointment for me, I wish I could watch the one that performs at the Prambanan instead. I believe that one would be much better (at least there will be a better venue background + setup?)

*Ticket + Hotel pick-up costs Rp250,000 / person

1  Thank Alexa C
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I do wish we'd seen the outdoor one, but the indoor one was wonderful. Pay the little extra and get the best seats if you can afford it. You can go buy a couple of drinks at the bar and bring them in, and you can still photograph the temple at night, even if it's inside. Well worth it. Stay at the Sheraton to be nearby.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

An excellent Ramayana Love story just like Romeo & Juliet except this live happy ever after. Ticket is a bit pricey which is IDR330,000. I suggest that you take a package with dinner. Their buffet dinner is quite nice. Very interesting place to be especially at night. Will not disappoint you.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

was apprehensive at first but i got hooked as i watched it. very detailed and the costumes are really beautiful. the play and characters were properly depicted and it was very engaging. a good experience indeed.